MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Hood Trim Clips

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 06:22 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The kit only contained enough rivet on round clips to do the door side trims, but good idea, it might work.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Trev, just had a thought, my door trims had mostly the rivet type you have, but there were 1 fixing on each door that had a nut internally, this stops the trim sliding sideways.

Do you have any of that type left ? There are several in the kit I have from SNG, but I am not at that stage at the moment.

If you had those on the doors, you could use the rivet type on the bonnet, this jogged my memory, and I think they were the rivet type fixing at the top of the bonnet.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Trev, I had a bit of a tidy up and moved the car to another barn, I managed to find my original center bonnet trim.

There were 2 rivet type clips near the windscreen, 1 nut type closest to the leaper and the rest were single fold over clips as per picture.

I am not sure there are any single type clips in the fixings kit !

Attached Thumbnails Hood Trim Clips-img_2353.jpg   Hood Trim Clips-img_2354.jpg  
Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 PM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

Trying to figure out the correct answer to Alphatrev’s question on the hood trim attachments as I am not trying to re-attach my hood trim.
I have the trim kit from XKS which is a big bag of clips and such that of course come with no instructions. I figured out the trim for the sides of the hood- that was easy as the trim pieces had the old clips in them,and the XKS kit includes 36 of these clips.

Clip on the left fits the holes on the side of the hood and slides into the trim

But nothing seemed to fit in the slots in the middle of the hood. So I went out and pulled up the trim on my 67- but it was attached with sticky tape

So I looked at the other attachments in the kit, and the only ones that might work are the ones that attach in the slots on the trim, and then would be bolted down. i would have to enlarge the width of the slots in the hood so the bolt would go through, so that doesn’t seem quite right, but still better than tape. Also don’t know where these attachments might be required somewhere else on the car.

So- any suggestions?

Clips in the trim- ready to be installed.
Tape- aaarg- a common solution, but not what I was looking for

Wrong type of attachment- but might work

Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 PM

While we are discussing trim attachments- which are the correct clips to use on the other parts of the car? There are two major types- a rectangular clip that i know was used for a pillar trim, top of the door and the rear quarter panel trim. This type is shown on the left in the picture. But there is also the button type which would also work in any of those areas. They are both held on by riveting them into the holes in the body. I guess I would use the round ones for the lower slots in the door as Alphatrev showed him his picture.

Rectangular clip on the upper portion of the picture is what I removed from the tops of the doors. Don’t remember they type that was in the door slots.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

Most trims have one of the bolt through type as the front fixing, this stops the trims sliding, doors are button rivet type with one bolt type at the front, the bonnet had the single ended clip on all except the rear two which were button rivet type and the front which was bolt type. Bonnet sides are double fold over clips all the way. Front bonnet trim below the mascot had bolt type.

Tear drops above headlamps have a locking type fastener behind, number plate trim has plastic bolt through fixings, B post trim usually has a nut fixing although my 340 has a different style double fixing.

I am not convinced that the trim kits match the originals so it may be a "find what works" scenario, if you look at my post of the bonnet center clips above, you will see that this type of clip is not supplied in the kit, and I have not yet worked out what the suppliers think should be used.

I will go through my kit tonight and see if I can work it out. I will post a pic when I have done it.

The following 2 users liked this post by TilleyJon:
csbush (01-17-2018), tedwone (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The bonnet center trim on my 64 was also secured with a heavy clear tape. However, my car had been painted once so I don’t know but am doubtful that the tape was original. But because the tape was there, I have no idea what clips were used originally.
Lin

The following users liked this post:
csbush (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:45 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Per my photo posted 12/10 I drilled through (from the top) the hood brace at the rear most fitting and used one of the modified double spreader clips. This pulled the hood trim down and holds it in place. The second clip from the rear has been left unclipped. I possibly could have used one of the rivet clips, but I already had the trim installed, so I just left it unsecured.
Thanks for all the replies. I have been busy with other projects. Somehow this Jag project lingers on endlessly. It was just meant to be a respray, and I had the car painted in August 2016 and still have not got the thing back together. I am now moving house, but first the house needs a total remodel. So the MK2's (I have two of them) will likely sit for another year. I also have a Diamond T truck that is getting a pickup bed conversion. I am building the bed myself, and had to make a buck and a mold to make the rear fenders from scratch as there is nothing on the market that will work. I do like to dig myself into some deep holes!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:11 AM

I missed Jon’s picture of the hood clips. That makes sense, and while not included in the kit I have, the clips that are there can easily be converted to work.

Clipped off one end of the extra double prong clips and filed down the edge of the remains prong so it will fit in the hood slot.<br/>

So I think I am all set now. Thanks for the advice one one bolted clip on each chrome piece. That makes sense.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, I have been through the kit and SNG website, and tried comparing this all to the kit, so here's my best try :-

Center ish 6 plastic clips with threading nuts (BD20887)are for the number plate chrome

4 staples center right are also for the number plate trim lower section (BD10809)

Threaded clips with nuts, (BD9848) 2 are for the lower front door trims and the third for the lower center bonnet trim below the Mascot

Top left these are for the bonnet center trim, (BD9851) but do not know what they fix with (I assume rivets), they are correct as far as part no goes and match the picture in the parts manual, but the fixing of them is not showing on either SNG or the parts manual !

Top right are for the bonnet side trims BD11546

The rivet clips are for everything else.

Oddly SNG list a clip SBS7777 which supersedes BD28982 for the scuttle panel trim, but do not include this in the kit !

The parts catalogue lists the rivet clip as BD26706/1 and BD26706/2 for different trims, but I do not know what the difference is, and SNG supply the BD2706/1 in place of the /2 rivet.
The parts catalogue lists clip BD11719, which is for different places on the trims and lists a pop rivet for fastening the clip. This clip looks identical to the bonnet clip in the parts catalogue, but has a different part no so maybe wider or thinner.

I will call SNG and see what they say about the fixings for the bonnet clips, the missing SBS7777 clips, and what on earth the self tapping screws in the kit are for !!

Attached Thumbnails Hood Trim Clips-img_2431.jpg  
csbush (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 08:31 PM

Those clips that you said were for the bonnet center trim match what I found in a parts baggie today marked center bonnet clips. They don’t attach with rivets- you push them onto the slit in the hood at a slight angle, and twist them to straighten them. Then the center chrome piece pushes down on them and they hold each other in place.

Old center clips

Of course now that I know the correct way to install it, I am not sure my new kit has the correct clips, so i may try the ones I fabricated and see if they work. If not, I now know where to get the correct clips,

Thanks for sorting out all the parts in the trim kit- it is very helpful!
Chuck

Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

The bonnet trim clips you have above are not the same as the ones in the SNG kit, yours have one piece bent down and two smaller tangs facing up, the longer downward tang must sit in the bonnet slot and the two smaller tangs grip the trim.

The ones from SNG only have tangs facing one way !

If the one longer tang goes into the bonnet slots, are the slots slightly off center as the tangs are on one side and would put the trim to one side of the slots ?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 AM
BSM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I am about to strip my 1967 Mk 2 for painting and so I made a crib list that might help me sort out what's what.
I have attached it in case anyone might find it useful
Note that it is for "late" cars

Bruce

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Chrome fittings.pdf (309.4 KB, 203 views)
csbush (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 AM

The center hood trim clips have two tangs on the bottom facing in different directions. You set it over the slot on the hood and twist is straight, then clip the trim piece on from the top. Here is a picture of one I have.

Trim clip

According to the very helpful post from BSM, that clip should be part number BD 9851.

Most of the clips I removed were rusted to the point the tangs were gone, and the top part was compressed to the point it did not hold the trim well. I may try and get a couple of new ones or refuse the old ones to attach the end of the trim closest to the windshield as my modified side clips did not hold the trim as tight there as I would like. A small piece of double sided trim tape would also be an option. Otherwise, i am pretty much done with the hood, and can set it aside for now.

Mostly done hood with chrome

Old 01-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

The part No BD9851 is the same as my post, but the trim clips you have with the 2 tangs are different again ! SNG have supplied yet another clip, looks similar to the parts catalogue picture but no idea how they fix, the ones that came off my car were different again !!!

Can you post a picture of the kit you were supplied Chuck, or is it the same as SNG ?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM

Here is a picture of the kit from XKS. Obviously, I have already used most of the big two pronged clips.

Trim kit from XKS

Old 01-19-2018, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Ah now that's different to the SNG kit, on my 340 I had one of the bolt through type clip on the front edge of all the door trims, and the lower front of the bonnet center trim making 9 in total, the same as the XK kit.

Bag top left are the same as SNG have supplied for the bonnet, but no rivets ! The parts catalogue list those for the top door trims also. It looks like if you mixed the 2 kits you would have a decent set !

Old 09-23-2021, 02:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Round chrome trim rivets

I used the 'new' round style trim rivets for my lower door trim. It was about the EASIEST THING I have done in my restoration. The car has some of the original square trim clips riveted in place, at the upper trim location. I have both type clips I could use. Question: do the 'new' style round rivets work for the upper trim?? Anyone mixed-and-matched these?

Trim rivets

Old 09-23-2021, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,047 Posts

To my knowledge they don't work for the bonnet. That uses staple trim holders & like the front of front door the leading piece of the centre trim uses a T clip held on with a nut. If you are talking about the shoulder trim on a Mk2 against the glass next to the whisker strip I have no idea. I restored an S Type with the rubber wipers against the outside glass.

Those round trim rivets are a joy & what I used on my side trims.

Side of bonnet. with & without hole dependent on supplier.

Front centre bonnet & front of front doors.

Original centre Bonnet clip.

Do not use these awful clips for centre of bonnet. You will scratch your paint trying to fit them & they rust. There are alternatives.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-23-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good evening,

Do you have the the part number of the trim rivets you used for the front centre bonnet & front of front doors?
Or any idea of where I can find them online?

(I did buy a pack of the clips .... they do seem awful so i'm keen to avoid using them)

Many thanks

Quick Reply: Hood Trim Clips