MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

MK2 vs XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default MK2 vs XJ6

Hello peeps, I am am searching for a 2nd toy to flank my Huracan. Wanted to keep it under $30k but could spend more if must. Just recently began considering MK2. Here is some background on me. I have owned Iike 100 cars including a new 2011 XKR and a user 2003 XJR. Been a while since I've owned a Jag. This time I was originally shopping American muscle for contrast. I ended up driving a MK 2 restomod with a small block and auto and was smitten! It felt tight, lively steering with performance steering wheel, looked great, no rattles and was quite quick!

Then I realized the XJ6 also have V8 conversion - in fact moreso as I see plenty in the market. Hence, trying to glean as much insight as possible. Have hny of you done a v8 swap to your MK 2? Was the lovely steering feel I enjoyed likely stock (it did have a sporty new small diameter wheel)? Or do they need a new rack to feel good? Did any of you consider an XJ?

Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 AM
Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

Evoking,
Did not know there was such a Jag as under $30K. Tough choice to choose between the two.
I have both, a '77 XJ12L with a BBC, and a '60 MK2 with a 454 small block Ford. I never had the chance to drive the MK2 before I gutted it. Previous owner said the Jag engine knocked after he tried to ring it.
I upgraded The suspension on the '77 with all urethane bushings, and a XJS rear sway bar, gas shocks, and lower, fatter tires. It's a blast to drive.
Good luck in your search.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by lickahotskillet
Evoking,
Did not know there was such a Jag as under $30K. Tough choice to choose between the two.
I have both, a '77 XJ12L with a BBC, and a '60 MK2 with a 454 small block Ford. I never had the chance to drive the MK2 before I gutted it. Previous owner said the Jag engine knocked after he tried to ring it.
I upgraded The suspension on the '77 with all urethane bushings, and a XJS rear sway bar, gas shocks, and lower, fatter tires. It's a blast to drive.
Good luck in your search.
454 fit in the MK! Wow. Regarding under $30k there are plenty of clean MK's in the $20k range. Not sure how much the conversion will run. The completed car I was just looking at was $30k.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:22 AM

The 454 in the MK2 is a Ford Windsor, a little smaller than a BBC.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

Since when was a 454 a small block? & what do you consider to be a big block?

Old 01-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Lickahotskillet, what would you say is the cost of conversion not including car. I am talking labor and ancillary parts.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:06 PM

Scatcat, Ford Windsor are considered small blocks. Originally 351. I'm using a Dart Windsor block. 4.125 x 4.25.
Evoking, There is no correct answer on the $$$$. With MK2's, I don't know of a kit for installing a V8, so everyting is modify this, fab that. Go back though Primaz' thread on his build. Lots of excitement getting it to fit. I've searched the web and found Ford small block installs. Same but different carving exercises. There was a thread in the section of the forum about a Toyota 6 installed in a MK2. John's cars makes a kit for a 4.3 Chevy.
It's easier to V8 an XJ series 1,2, or 3. Mine is a John's Cars kit. Andrew from Jag Specialities is also a favorite. Used low mileage engines with a kit is your least expensive route.
Kits are $2k ish. Engines used 2500 To 14K depending on your horse power selection. Then you add the install. That's when the "oh by the way" phone calls begin, and the over budget process begins.
The best advice I got was from John " start with a dry, rust free, southern car".
Things go up exponentially from there. I like to say the car is "the title to torment". My MK2 was $2000. I paid more for the transmission.
I

Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 304 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Lickahotskillet, what would you say is the cost of conversion not including car. I am talking labor and ancillary parts.

Evoking, you should have kept that car?

Anyways look at your posting for "Lowering a MKII" I posted an answer that includes what you are asking here. Bottom line unless you are at Doug or Lickaskillet's high skill level your budget is not enough. If you can fabricate like those two guys maybe if you are lucky you might finish for $30K excluding the cost of the car.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, I have had offers for my car up to $65K and after doing this now I know why people pay $70K to over $100K for a good restomod at Barret Jackson, etc. You save yourself 2-4 years of your life and get instant gratification... by the way I would never sell it as it took me 2 years and a lot of pain in the process and I do not want to go thru that again

Old 01-05-2017, 08:59 PM

The XJ12L took thee years. I'm in my third year on the MK2. I had a little help along the way on the XJ12L, and a lot of part timers along the way - Johnny the dissembler, Jeff the spot weld driller, and "Mike the Magnifico" master fabricator. I sweep the floor, handle logistics, research, and wire brush old screws getting them ready to reinstall.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

As a guideline from me, - Mk2 rusto UK £5000 (And that was quite cheap here), engine machining £3500, parts & panels to date £2600, and I've spent a year welding and fabricating to repair the original, just got it to bare metal and that doesn't include the doors, bonnet or boot lid.

Still to spend , £1200 chromework, Parts another £2000, interior £4000, and that#'s doing everything myself, and there will be another £2000 in unforeseen bits and pieces.

On top of that I'm not doing a resto mod, so the fabrication is probably only half the amount of work, let alone the sourcing, research and adaption required for a bespoke mod.

I hope you can find what your looking for.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:03 PM

Ok so I think I may go in the direction of a manual am upgrade to a 3.8 instead of a V8. Less fabrication, more pure and still plenty for the light. Less is more right ;-).

So what $ ballpark would a 3.8 transplant be? Also A/C add?

Last edited by Evoking; 01-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 PM

Try vintage Jag.com in Idaho. Never purchases from them, but the site reads well.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lickahotskillet
Try vintage Jag.com in Idaho. Never purchases from them, but the site reads well.

Evoking, I do not want to be a pessimist but a classic Jag that is super reliable daily driver is not a cheap car no matter how you go. If you go more stock I would buy one already done and I have seen really nice ones for around $35 to $40K and that is likely less than doing it to an old one that needs work. Things like the wood dash really make the Jag and if you want it to look new, just the dash can cost up to $5K to restore; yes some will do the wood DIY but you can see the difference.

Vintage Jag works is good and I think their prices are realistic to buy a new engine well built and you will likely spend around $12-$15 for the total engine/trans and all new accessories, etc.

Engine Rebuilding

I do hope you get a classic Jag but be ready to push your budget a little to avoid the common project car that either never gets done or takes over 10 years...

One last comparison is people buy new Jags or Lexus, etc. and plop down $40-70K so another way to approach this is get a used car loan. Spend the same as most people do on a quality performance sedan but for the same cost you could either get a concourse restored Jag or build a restomod

Last edited by primaz; 01-07-2017 at 02:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Primaz is spot on

The bottom line is have "very deep pockets " or be able to do it yourself and have the time, but you will still spend a fair chunk of cash.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Lots of good comments here.

Just to throw out some additional thoughts......all "IMO"

Then I realized the XJ6 also have V8 conversion - in fact moreso as I see plenty in the market.

And while some are not particularly nice others a VERY nicely engineered and executed, masterpieces, really.....and in mint condition in terms of cosmetics. If you're somewhat patient you can generally find and buy one for a fraction of what the owner has spent....and wayyyy under $30,000. Most often it'll be a Series III sedan as the rate of attrition has taken on toll on the older Series I and II cars.

I refer to the Series III cars as "the most modern of all antique automobiles". While obviously not as old as a Mk 2 a Series III will still give you last the vestiges of a vintage, Jaguar-ish feel....naturally more pronounced if you're accustomed to driving truly modern automobiles. Most consider it to be a very handsome body style and they've become a rare enough sight on the road that driving one feels a bit unique.

You didn't really mention what condition level you're after. Absolute mint condition? Or just "nice enough to still be proud of"? Cosmetics can suck up many, many thousands of dollars.

If you're goal is a mint condition Mk2 with a very sanitary engine conversion with some modern upgrades I agree that $30k won't even scratch the surface

Cheers
DD

Old 01-11-2017, 08:32 PM

Update: so the only MK that I have driven was a resto mod with a 350 and a MKI 2.4. The 2.4 needed a bigger engine and the synchros grinded on every shift. Would have definitely also need a trans even for the 3.8.

Net net I have driven 2 bookends. The restomod was AWESOME feeling and clearly had tons of time and $ poured into it. The 2.4 was not so funl to drive and made me wonder if I still want one.

This weekend we are going to look at a clean 62 MK2 3.8 4spd. And also some big block Mopar muscle. I love them both for different reason. Will be interesting which one puts the bigger smile on my face! Trying not to buy two cars!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

454 fit in the MK! Wow. Regarding under $30k there are plenty of clean MK's in the $20k range. Not sure how much the conversion will run. The completed car I was just looking at was $30k.
The last 4 months I searched & searched for a clean MK2 and every car under 30k that I found in the USA had what I consider major problems. I think I got lucky and just bought a 62 with rebuilt motor , tranny, new leather interior, good paint, new brakes etc. i have receipts for 23k of $ the guy spent on restoring it
I paid 23k for it. I bought it about an hour after the ad was posted the guy selling it regretted it because he had offers come in for more $. If you can find a decent one for under 30k buy it before some else gets it.
Lou

Old 01-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 669 Likes on 485 Posts

It's interesting how we talk about car prices, where as over at AVS forum, others are spending 10, 18, 20 and even 60 grand for a Sony 4K projector.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffR1
It's interesting how we talk about car prices, where as over at AVS forum, others are spending 10, 18, 20 and even 60 grand for a Sony 4K projector.
Well you'd hardly expect them to bitch about car prices. Would ya? Same as you're highly unlikely to hear us grumble about the price of AVS equipment. Well, you might....