MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Reverse Light not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Reverse Light not working

I have a 1967 340 (mark II) and the reverse light will not work. I have checked the bulb which is ok. Do I have to check both the reverse switch ... and...the inhibitor/reverse switch? Where is the reverse switch on the transmission. (e.g., top or side?)
Thanks
JR

Old 09-25-2020, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,358 Likes on 1,054 Posts

If manual transmission it's on the top cover of the gearbox. To access remove console & glass fibre transmission cover.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:17 PM

Glyn....my bad....I have a 3 speed automatic transmission. Does that matter?

Old 09-25-2020, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,833 Posts

the reverse/neutral switch can be at the left side of the automatic transmission or at the steering column depending on the transmission in the car.

if at the steering column, it will look like the picture below and located on the opposite side of the shifter. Since your car is a later model, chances are it is at the transmission.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
the reverse/neutral switch can be at the left side of the automatic transmission or at the steering column depending on the transmission in the car.

if at the steering column, it will look like the picture below and located on the opposite side of the shifter. Since your car is a later model, chances are it is at the transmission.

Jose - thanks. Is the transmission access from under the car or under the carpet on the tunnel?

Old 09-25-2020, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

there are access panels under the carpet, at the front of the transmission tunnel on either side, at least in my S type there are two.

But it is a lot easier to go under the car on a lift, instead of disturbing all the carpet, insulation, and the 12 screws that fix those panels with caulking/sealant.

too much work in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
there are access panels under the carpet, at the front of the transmission tunnel on either side, at least in my S type there are two.

But it is a lot easier to go under the car on a lift, instead of disturbing all the carpet, insulation, and the 12 screws that fix those panels with caulking/sealant.

too much work in my opinion.
Jose
thanks again. I was under car today and did not see anything. Is it on The driver or passenger side? Also are there two switches( the immobilizing/ reverse - 4 prong switch and the 2 prong reverse switch)? I was told by welsh Jaguar that I need the 2 prong switch

Old 09-25-2020, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Your car has a BW35 Transmission. I see cass is on the thread. He can guide you.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,136 Likes on 796 Posts

I have to throw this in the mix as it may be a cause too. Did you also check for power at the sockets? I was just fighting those - successfully. in my case it was both bad bulbs and corroded connectors in the boot lid harness. Those connectors are not easy to get, but they are available. I found a kit online from a British motorcycle supplier ( can't remember their name right now unfortunately) with one wire and 2 wire connectors. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Glyn M Ruck (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by jerry_hoback
I have to throw this in the mix as it may be a cause too. Did you also check for power at the sockets? I was just fighting those - successfully. in my case it was both bad bulbs and corroded connectors in the boot lid harness. Those connectors are not easy to get, but they are available. I found a kit online from a British motorcycle supplier ( can't remember their name right now unfortunately) with one wire and 2 wire connectors. Good luck.
Jerry...yep. That was first step I did

jerry_hoback (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member

Agnes, if the transmission is a later BW35, the switch or switches will be on the LEFT side of transmission. It is a round switch with 4 wires connecting to it.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,034 Likes on 680 Posts

If you have the later BW35 Auto box the reversing light switch and the inhibitor switch are as one. On the left side of the gearbox as you look from the back towards the front of the car you will find the cable for the gear change which goes to the side of the gearbox. Beside the cable there is a four pin round switch which acts as the inhibitor and reversing light switch. Access is tight and it can be done from below the car but with the S type there is an inspection panel cut in the side of the tunnel to give better access. The switch has four wires according to the colour wiring chart, White/Red and White/Blue for the inhibitor switch and then Green and Green/Brown for the reversing light. Green is power in to the switch and Green/Brown is power out to the reversing lights. These wires can be seen in the photo below of my switch.

Glyn M Ruck (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Cass3958
If you have the later BW35 Auto box the reversing light switch and the inhibitor switch are as one. On the left side of the gearbox as you look from the back towards the front of the car you will find the cable for the gear change which goes to the side of the gearbox. Beside the cable there is a four pin round switch which acts as the inhibitor and reversing light switch. Access is tight and it can be done from below the car but with the S type there is an inspection panel cut in the side of the tunnel to give better access. The switch has four wires according to the colour wiring chart, White/Red and White/Blue for the inhibitor switch and then Green and Green/Brown for the reversing light. Green is power in to the switch and Green/Brown is power out to the reversing lights. These wires can be seen in the photo below of my switch.
thanks folks!

Old 09-26-2020, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Agnes Radin
thanks folks!
Ok... removed carpet and below is what I have on my “340”(mark 2)...it is a 2” hole.
There appears to be no inspection cover. I do not see wires or switch

Old 09-26-2020, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,034 Likes on 680 Posts

I did say that the S Type had an inspection hatch but unfortunately Jaguar did not fit the inspection hatch to the MK2 shell. Don't know why. The photo is of the S Type gearbox tunnel. I know some have cut the inspection hatch into their Mk2 gearbox tunnel which is not a bad idea. It is basically a hole as in the photo with a plate slightly larger over the top held in place with some self tapping screws. 1960's Jaguar were never high tech. The hatch is then covered with the sound proofing and carpet so cannot be seen. A small smear of rubber sealant or buy some self adhesive 10mm rubber foam and make a seal and you will not get any gases entering the cockpit.
Below are a couple larger scale photos of the area giving you an idea of where the inspection hatch should be cut.

Glyn M Ruck (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Auto cars have a wider tunnel than manual cars with no top cover. I don't think Mk2's/340's had the side access panel like S Types. Can you see the switch from under the car? Sorry I'm not accustomed to Automatic Jags.

From the 340 Service Manual showing switch in Cass' picture. (excuse quality ~ how Jag printed it.)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-26-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry Rob ~ We posted over one another.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:08 PM

Dang! Never a quick solution with Jags. Can I still get to it froM The underside instead of all the cutting?

Old 09-26-2020, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

you need 3 people,

raise the car on a lift, tires in the air, one person sitting inside car to place shifter in reverse, park, and neutral, one person at the rear to look at the reverse lights, one person loosening the switch's set nut and then slowly rotating the switch until the reverse lights come on.

then you have to test that the engine does not start in Park or Neutral, because one adjustment of the switch might affect the other adjustments.

Old 09-26-2020, 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=Jose;2294712]you need 3 people,

raise the car on a lift, tires in the air, one person sitting inside car to place shifter in reverse, park, and neutral, one person at the rear to look at the reverse lights, one person loosening the switch's set nut and then slowly rotating the switch until the reverse lights come on.

then you have to test that the engine does not start in Park or Neutral, because one adjustment of the switch might affect the other adjustments.[/QUOTE

you guys are killing me!!!
is this just an adjustment or will I have to replace the switch?
...do you mean that it “will”start in P or N and not D , R or L?

Quick Reply: Reverse Light not working