MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering

Hi
I have recently bought a 1963 MK2 3.4, LHD.
The plan is convert it to RHD which gives me the option to chose what steering to install,
Being new to MK2 Jags I was wondering on what options are available?
Any advice on options I could research would be appreciated.

Tony

Old 05-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Hi Tony, welcome to the Forum.

You can stay original either power assisted (parts difficult to source) or manual, you can go to rack a pinion (see note below) , power steering from a 420 (parts more available) or there is the electric power assisted which has a motor attached to the steering column to assist whilst using the original manual steering box.

Re Rack and pinion. There are some mixed opinions about this upgrade and the introduction of bump steer, some feel it causes issues, many others have done this with no problems reported. I am doing some CAD work and testing on the rack and pinion, and although I have not completed this, the positioning of the rack relative to the tie rods does make quite a difference to any degree of bump steer. There are kits for this conversion, but I have as yet not checked the geometry of those systems, I have made my own bracketry up based on the kits available, and am looking at ways to reduce the very small amount of bump steer that my set up creates. Initial checks on Ackerman angles show me that moving the rack further back will get more accurate Ackerman steering.

I am still to compare this with the standard steering to see what degree of bump steer and what Ackerman steering that has as a comparison, the question being "Will rack and pinion steering (if designed correctly) actually be as good or better than the original geometry)

You will hopefully get plenty of advice here, always guys willing to help.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Most people convert to a rack because it is easier to obtain and maintain in the future, as steering boxes are very much obsolete. Whilst there is the bump steer issue, it doesn't seem to be all that important or the forums would be full of threaders with the problem ! However, as an alternative, if you can find the Adwest Varamatic steering box, this will give you excellent power assistance and a good steering feel. This box was fitted onto the 420s and the last of the Mark 2s and S-types. It is variable ratio, and I had one on a Rover P6 3.5 litre V8 in the 80s. Early Burman PS boxes which were of the recirculating ball type had cover studs that were too small in diameter, so the lids would blow off as the threads stripped in the alloy casing. Later boxes used larger diameter studs. I think the size went from 5/16" to 3/8", but I may be wrong. If you insist on a box the Varamatic is the one to go for.

This is the Varomatic box
https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Eng...%20340%20MODEL.

Here's one on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/132938784870

Of course there is the electric steering option, now available as an after-market kit.
https://xks.com/i-22252607-jaguar-el...t-14-5515.html
This may require a higher output dynamo, or fittment of an alternator. You can buy alternators that look like dynamos so as to keep the "original" look.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 05-01-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I converted my S-type from the original Burman non-assisted steering box to the power assisted 420 Varamatic box. It transformed the car. It's not that the steering effort was unreasonably high with the non-assisted setup; it was the lock to lock turns (4.25) which made mini-roundabouts and manoeuvring such a chore. The Varamatic, at 2.9 turns, makes it feel a much more modern car. There's a Wikipedia article on how it works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marles_steering_gear.

I assembled the parts one by one from ebay over about six months. If your car has power steering already, you will (more or less) only need the box.

It also keeps the car more original (if that's important to you) in the sense that the Varamatic setup was fitted to the last 340s, S-types and most 420s/Sovereigns. The 340s and S-types used a dynamo-driven pump and separate reservoir, whereas the 420/Sovereign used a combined pump and reservoir.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,047 Posts

My car has the second type recirculating ball power steering box with torsion bar operated valve on the input shaft. Orlando's comments on the Register convinced me to go and drive a car with the Varamatic steering fitted. It is without doubt an improved driving experience & night & day better than the first type PS Box.

I have yet to drive an S Type with rack and pinion conversion that has not completely messed up the Ackerman steering/angles & caused severe scuff & slip across the front axle. Gives the tyres a real hard time.

I'm awaiting TJ's CAD work to see if one can ever get the Ackerman angles correct within the mounting confines for a rack & pinion.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thank you all this gives me plenty to read up on!
With the Varamatic box would there be any structral modifications required to the car or does it just sit where the manual box would fit?

Tony

Old 05-02-2019, 02:37 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Tony,
I fitted an EZ electronic power steering kit.the( EZ company is in Holland. ) to my 1964 Daimler V8 saloon. The kit came as a complete column, the power unit sits up behind the dash panel. IT was necessary to cut some if the bulk head to accommodate the motor.. The unit has been in the car about 2 years and it made a huge difference to driving the car especially at low speeds. Unless you get on your knees a looked up under the dash you wound not know it was there.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Williams
Wow thank you all this gives me plenty to read up on!
With the Varamatic box would there be any structral modifications required to the car or does it just sit where the manual box would fit?

Tony
The Varamatic requires a deep dimple in the Crossmember. You can either change or mod the crossmember.

Modded X Member pic courtesy of Orlando

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 05-02-2019 at 05:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Orlando St.R (05-02-2019)