MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

XJR Mark 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

Doug,
Spectacular....I thought there was a battery charger sitting on the hood - reflection of the garage door opener! Thank for the tip on mounting the doors.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:23 PM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks great, Doug. It is a long journey isn't it!
Lin

Old 09-30-2016, 04:04 PM
Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for the kind feedback, guys - it always helps the motivation - something that seems harder to muster the longer this project runs - it is quite a journey, Lin.

Lofty, the louvers were stamped on a large press using a die set - it's the only way I know to get a deep and straight profile. I too used a S3 wiper motor mechanism and my swing is fine - not sure why yours required modification.

I spent a few hours cleaning the body chrome to see what I could salvage without replating. I used a white rouge (light cut) buffing compound, and to my surprise most of the chromed brass looks fine - certainly not show quality but fine for a driver. I welded up the holes in the bumpers to eliminate the overriders and front license plate mount, so they along with the modified front window frames are finally off to the plater. The taillight and backup light housings always seem to suffer the most with some pitting, so we'll see if they can be brought back to life.

The carpeting is installed, and the upholsterer is due over this weekend to help me cover and install the headliner. Hopefully he'll be able to work with the panel I modified from the XJR to accommodate the sunroof. I'll also have him retrim the visors, overhead console and sunroof panel so all the fabric is fresh.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Mark 2-original-chrome-1.jpg   XJR Mark 2-original-chrome-2.jpg  
Old 10-07-2016, 02:25 PM

Just a couple of pics of the headliner installed. The XJR panel required a lot of modification to fit the Mark 2, and there are a few areas where my work shows through the foam/fabric. I figure any passengers will be looking forward in sheer terror and won't notice. I need to fabricate some spacers for the visor mounts and overhead console - should have everything buttoned up this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Mark 2-headliner1.jpg   XJR Mark 2-headliner2.jpg  
Old 10-09-2016, 03:37 PM

Overhead is finally done and I'm pleased with the result. The visors had to be deconstructed and shortened to fit the Mark 2 - definitely not something I'd want to repeat. I slipped with a razor making one of the final trim cuts when refitting the electronics on the overhead console - took 2 hours to remove the fabric and glue to start over.

If you ever need a contact cement that will never release use DAP Weldwood Contact Adhesive - Landau Top & Trim - HHR Solvent Type - Spray Grade. I've never used anything like it - extremely aggressive bond that's supposed to get stronger with repeated heat cycles. Nasty stuff - need respirator and eats through plastic cups.

The headliner fabric was not wide enough to reach the bottom of the C pillars - we'll have to make some panels and trim with fabric or vinyl to match. Till next time.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Mark 2-headliner1.jpg   XJR Mark 2-headliner2.jpg   XJR Mark 2-headliner3.jpg   XJR Mark 2-headliner4.jpg   XJR Mark 2-headliner5.jpg  

Old 10-09-2016, 06:24 PM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks very nice, Doug!
Lin

The following users liked this post:
csbush (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Dooren
The headliner fabric was not wide enough to reach the bottom of the C pillars - we'll have to make some panels and trim with fabric or vinyl to match. Till next time.
Maybe in wood to match the dash? it would look classy.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Doug,
Class beyond belief! Patience to match.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Doug,
Just read through this thread.
I'm a fan of originality, but just blown away by what you've done here. I think even Bill would have given a nod in your direction.

Fond memories of the MK II from my teens: I'll be checking back to see it graduate...

Mike

Old 10-23-2016, 03:04 PM

As always I appreciate the comments and ideas. VB, the thought of adding to my list of panels to veneer doesn't work at this point in the project, as good as it would look. I ended up going the expedient route and just folding/tacking/gluing headliner fabric extensions on the C pillars - not the correct way to do it but I don't think it's too noticeable. Note the wire at the top center of the rear window for the remote door and boot lock receiver antenna - of course I forgot to route this before installing the headliner. Fortunately the foam separated along the glued edge without tearing the fabric, and this gets covered by the window gasket.

I fabricated a small pod to house the window and mirror controls on the driver door panel. Again a couple of false starts before getting it right. I'll have the upholsterer trim this in vinyl with a beaded edge to match the rest of the panel - hopefully it will blend in without looking too out of place.

The driver side footwell clearance is extremely tight due to the intrusion of the blower and a footrest that's molded into the XJR carpet. In the pic you can see vents in the top half of the blower housing - this is the intake when the system is in recirculation mode - in fresh air mode the blowers pull air through the fender louvers. I'll have to fabricate a trim panel to cover this in vinyl - not sure what to do about covering the vent openings. Whatever goes here will have to stand a lot of abuse. Till next time.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Mark 2-c-pillars.jpg   XJR Mark 2-door-panel.jpg   XJR Mark 2-control-pod.jpg   XJR Mark 2-xjr-carpet.jpg   XJR Mark 2-blower.jpg  

Old 10-29-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Fantastic thread and brilliant job, would love to see your finished car in the flesh, such a shame your in Avon US not Avon UK.

Will keep checking in to see progress.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:58 PM

Making slow progress on the interior. We had a difficult time synchronizing the sunroof drive motor with the control unit - all of this goes south after operating the mechanism manually, and the procedure in the manual wasn't too helpful. A frustrating day, some help from the XJR site folks, and we finally got it working properly.

The upholsterer trimmed the control pod for the driver's door - I'm pleased with the appearance. I trimmed a panel for the rear parcel shelf - just need to find a pattern to perforate some holes in the vinyl for the subwoofer and parking aid beeper that lurk beneath.

I'm constantly reminded of the complexity of modern car electronics as I attempt to stuff everything where it doesn't want to fit. The footwell picture here illustrates the problem - I only hope I never have to access that defroster blend motor or wiper motor buried under the mess.

The center console is in - I hope for the last time. The dampers in the heat exchanger unit are all closed and not functioning - I'm assuming this is because the system has no refrigerant charge and this is the default position. We will find out shortly.

With the driver's seat bolted in I'm thinking the windshield might have to go in next - a little duct tape to keep the doors closed and the beast might be ready for a little exercise around the neighborhood.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Mark 2-driver-panel.jpg   XJR Mark 2-trimmed-control-pod.jpg   XJR Mark 2-rear-parcel-shelf.jpg   XJR Mark 2-passenger-footwell.jpg   XJR Mark 2-center-console.jpg  

XJR Mark 2-seat-1.jpg   XJR Mark 2-black-growler.jpg  
Old 11-12-2016, 06:57 PM

There is not that much cable underground in New York City!
Looks great! Much attention to detail.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

As previously mentioned I used an X300 steering rack since the XJR's was too wide. The X300 has the variable assist feature like the XJR which was the reason for using that rack. It has integral isolation bushings and can be hard mounted to the Mark 2 carrier.
Hi Doug

what pump and pipework did you use for the X300 rack ?

I have got the rack to go on my Mk2 340, but am looking for a solution for the pump as I have switched to an alternator.

Any pics of the setup would be much appreciated. If you have already covered this somewhere, could you point me in the right direction.

many thanks

Jon

Last edited by TilleyJon; 11-19-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

I finally got the bead roller dies and just finished the rear fenders. Still a bit of profiling to complete at the bottom but otherwise satisfied with the outcome.
Another question Doug,

Did you fabricate the fenders from sheet metal (made up spats to weld in) or adapt original spats ?

I am thinking of doing this myself too, I have managed to get hold of a bead roller, but not even sure which rollers to get to form the arch, if you have any pictures of the stages and rollers I would be very greatful.

Jon

Old 11-20-2016, 05:37 AM
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TilleyJon
Another question Doug,

Did you fabricate the fenders from sheet metal (made up spats to weld in) or adapt original spats ?

I am thinking of doing this myself too, I have managed to get hold of a bead roller, but not even sure which rollers to get to form the arch, if you have any pictures of the stages and rollers I would be very greatful.

Jon
Hi just get some front wing repair panels and cut and weld then in,

TilleyJon (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:58 PM

Jon, I'm using the XJR motor with all accessories including the PS pump. On my last Mark 2 project I used an XJ6 rack and pump. I also used an XJ6 master cylinder and servo, so the pump occupied the area where the accumulator tank was. Sorry no digital pics of that project as it was a long time ago.

I forget whose high pressure lines I used - I believe they're all comparable and are simple to cut and fit. Watch for sway bar clearance where the lines connect to the rack - I ended up using a straight bar but doubt this is an option with the original motor in the car.

Dave's suggestion to use fender repair arches sounds like a great idea. I duplicated the front arch diameter and rolled the beads on the original spats and welded them in. This is more work than using the repair panels but probably a little cheaper. I had a die set made up - just told the machinist the dimensions of the bead I wanted. You're welcome to borrow them if they fit your bead roller - shipping cost may be prohibitive. Hope the pics help.

Made little progress on the beast this weekend. The rear seat install was a 15 minute step that turned into a day long project. I'd fitted the seat back and inertia seat belts separately but I guess never together. With the belt mechanisms mounted the seat back has to fit over them and drop down - unfortunately the C pillars taper inward and there was insufficient clearance at the higher position. So off came the leather and out came the cutting wheel and welder to narrow the frame further. Ugh.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Mark 2-sway-bar-clearance.jpg   XJR Mark 2-straight-sway-bar.jpg   XJR Mark 2-rolled-bead.jpg   XJR Mark 2-tacked.jpg   XJR Mark 2-tub-2.jpg  

XJR Mark 2-bead-die-set.jpg   XJR Mark 2-seat-back.jpg  
TilleyJon (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Doug,

a bit dumb of me sorry, how could I forget you had shoehorned that lump in, the give away was the title of the thread !

Thanks for the pics that's a great help, got the other pics of the rack mount from your thread too, I'll look at the other pump for the XJ6, how did you drive the pump with it fitted in the wheel arch where the reservac was?

Thanks for the pics of the rollers, and the offer, I can get a set for £45 which is probably about the same as the postage anyway, but I'll also look at the repair panel option too.

Great job your doing, what a pain re the rear seats.

Last edited by TilleyJon; 11-21-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:23 PM

Jon - didn't mean to indicate the ps pump was in the wheel well where the vacuum tank was - just in that area of the engine compartment.

Made a little progress on the interior. The furflex (think that's what it's called) I ordered was a close match to the oatmeal interior of the XJR but looked dirty in comparison. Ended up recovering it using headliner material which pulled everything together. All that's left inside are the A and B pillar panels and the wood. Still debating whether to cut into the doors for speakers or take another approach. I'd normally fabricate something in the front toekick area but that's consumed by the blowers.

Most of the body chrome is on - just waiting for the bumpers, tail light housings and front window frames to come back from the platers. Pop riveting all those little clips onto a freshly painted body is a little nerve racking but no harm done. Next step is definitely the front and rear glass for a spin around the neighborhood before the first snow flies. Then we'll retire to the basement for the tedious veneering.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Mark 2-furflex.jpg   XJR Mark 2-body-chrome.jpg   XJR Mark 2-bootlid-chrome.jpg   XJR Mark 2-almost.jpg  
Old 12-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

That is just gorgeous! What a beautiful paint job, and the light interior with the black paint is beautiful.

Quick Reply: XJR Mark 2