New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

2002 XK8 Misfire Bank 1. 1-7 Super Rough Idle and Sluggish. Lots of coded

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts
Smile 2002 XK8 Misfire Bank 1. 1-7 Super Rough Idle and Sluggish. Lots of coded

Hello. I am as new as new gets, here. Just joined. But I'm going to jump right in and hope for the best.

I just purchased a 2002 Jaguar Convertible XK8, 120,000 miles, from a dear friend who's health has failed. He basically gave me the car with the condition that I "breath life into her" and get her "purrrrring" again! He took good care of her while he could. I am determined. Determined for myself (its a beautiful machine) and equally,,, to give a sense of satisfaction to my friend who adored the car while he could.

The car runs, will start by just turning key and idle, roughly. When driving . sat in and out for 3 yrs but is in beautiful shape visually AND I love IT already. I can tell it really only needs some love, sweat, attention and $$$. I really want and have to to keep the $$$ down to a min,,, having no shortage of love, sweat and a willingness to pay her in attention. NO,,, Im not a rich man by any means.

I've worked on (much simpler) cars all my life. Well since 16 and a 1/2, and THIS is a complex car! But I am smart, capable and pick things up pretty quick with a broad understanding of auto systems and the "needs" of gas powered internal combustion engines and bodies. And yes, I'm determined.

So I'll jump in. I brought the car to a local mechanic and he plugged it in. Skerd the hell out of me at first me, lol!!! But, I think I'm noticing a pattern here which I "think" is a good thing. Most everything seems to be happening in "Bank 1" with the following codes. (now no LAUGHING pls)
P0300
P0301
P0303
P0305
P0307
P0341
P0353

Then, there are other sensors to report for which I can supply codes...

2 heated Oxygen Sensor Faults - B1 and B2.... P0057 AND P0037
1 (bank 1) Knock Sensor Fault... P0332

Then,,,, P0102 - P0066 - (P1000 which is a system reset code) and P0112...

Im wondering if and what is the relationship between the bank ignition codes and ALL of the air sensor codes. Should I approach curing the rough idle and sluggishness from the direction of air sensors & sesors,,, ignition system stuff OR is it the CSPSensor code P0341. OR am I just nutts?

I have been reading thru lots on this JagForum and am super grateful and impressed. I have learned lots just by reading. I am a newbee joining a league of true connoisseurs. I feel a little intimidated but I have no choice. I will take my time. It will take some time but, I will breath new life into this amazing machine with your all's help.

Thanks in advance.

ps.... Available to me is an XK8 engine with 37K. I would prefer to hold onto that knowing inevitably I'll need to turn to and swap it in. But that's down the line.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi JJJ and welcome to the forum. It is the best on t'interweb, IMHO.

I followed you here from you link in your last post when I couldn't find it in the forum. You would have been better posting this in the XK8 section as not everyone will find it here. No doubt one of our tireless mods will be along to help you out.

You are having a baptism of fire! I won't offer much advice on your codes as I haven't (yet) encountered any of them, and there are far more knowledgeable members. It's possible that the faults are related.

If you can turn a spanner, there are some smart cookies here who will be able to guide you through just about anything you may encounter. There are also stories of cars brought back from near death.

Once you have her sorted you'll have a permanent grin on your face.

Good luck and do post up some pictures.

Mike

Old 09-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Misfire codes on only one bank on an AJ27 engine most likely indicates that the cam timing chain has jumped a tooth. Almost anything else will affect both banks.

I wouldn't start it even one more time until a physical inspection indicates that the cam timing is good. Not even to take it to a mechanic. Not even to get it on a trailer. Here is where the learning meets the bolts. The valve cover is not hard to remove and the aligned or not status is visible to the eye . . . and bank 1 is the easier of the two.

You most likely have the original plastic chain tensioners which can be death to an engine.

Get that resolved before worrying about anything else.

What year is the XK8 engine with 37K miles? Engines swap easiest within narrow bands of production.

Last edited by test point; 09-29-2016 at 03:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JayJagJay (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Welcome aboard.

JayJagJay (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 PM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum JayJagJay,

I can see you've already made an identical post in the XK8/XKR forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

I also found you made another identical post in X308 forum which I've deleted. NO MORE MULTIPLE POSTING ACROSS FORUMS.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Northeast Region forum by following this link US Northeast - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 09-29-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,944 Likes on 5,292 Posts

It looks like members of the XK8 section have your situation well in hand and have a good idea of the problem. That's what this place is all about; members helping members.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

JayJagJay (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

GGG - Understood. I'm just learning JForum etiquette. After the suggestion of bringing/sharing post to the XK8/XKR Forum (see above) I did it with the real goal of 1., posting in the right place and then, 2. getting the most appropriate information quickly. Multiple posts will not happen again. I will absolutely follow your advice and add the footer signature.

That being said GGG - I see you understandably took down the post in the XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) forum... Will you allow (leave) the post in the XK8/XKR forum? The responses I'm getting there are already very helpful....

Test Point... Thank you. I'm all over the Valve Cover idea. Ill try to do it tomorrow evening just to take a first look. I suspected it (thanks to the forum) and was actually thinking it would need to be one of my first steps. I've done a lot of reading and tensioners and a "link jump" came to mind. So, looking for the flats. IF an adjustment is needed you all will be hearing from me But,,, is it a matter of zip tie sprockets, allen key off sprockets, adjust cam (and how does one know which of the two CAM's is out of time/position?) and reset sprockets, chains, CAM etc - then do the reverse and re-assemble? For now, and just so I know, will/does the entire timing chain cover need to come off to adjust the CAM secondary chains and CAM at the top of the engine?

It MIGHT be a little while before I get to this. Just trying to begin to formulate my plan and first steps.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 10,306 Likes on 6,818 Posts

Welcome.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:47 AM
Received 4,179 Likes on 3,642 Posts

welcome to the forum - hope you can resolve the issues so you can enjoy!!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums JayJagJay,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 09-30-2016, 10:36 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum