New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Considering a Jaguar, but which? With intro.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considering a Jaguar, but which? With intro.

Hello. I have been reading a while, and I am very impressed by the knowledgable and friendly members here, so I've decided to leap into the Frey with a question.

As a young person I loved a show on TV called "The Equalizer". Some may recall that the title character drove a Jaguar,and I loved that car as representative of a certain elan. ( I also loved Magnum's Ferrari, which was a different sort of cool.) I really wanted a jag.

A neighbour friend of mine wisely chose finance as a field while I went the liberal arts film school route. Consequently, while I was doing the starving artist bit he was able to acquire the finer things,including an almost new Jag. ( late 80's here) I saw him next a few years later during a Christmas trip home, and he related that the Jag had been a nightmare. He had traded it with blown engine to a dealer as (very) partial trade on a BMW. This after many, many repairs, not all covered under warranty.

Anyway, this negative experience from someone I knew personally, on top of Jaguar's reputation, put me off the brand for decades. Not that I could have afforded a good one.

Fast forward to the 2000's and Fords involvement. I was delighted with the new cars and the growing reputation of a storied and worthy brand I still had always admired. Wouldn't have one, but wished I could own one to drive, not just fix.

Now I am ready, or think so. I am looking at, say, 2002 to 2008 XJ's, longs and Vandenplas. I guess. I really want a Portfolio edition but I missed the curve on used ones, they are valued too high for me, that I can see. If they were ever relative bargains as used, which XJ's seem to be now.

Here's the questions: What is the best model used, understanding that I know any 10-15-20 year old fine auto will require care and repair? But i also know all things are not equal; perhaps a model was introduced in 2000, and significant refinements and improvements were made to the same model in 2002. One would chose the improved car,of course. But I would have to KNOW about the improvements, and it is not always easy to discover that a new brand of transmission had been chosen over a troublesome early one,or upgrades were made to electronics. And while I like the xj, perhaps some other model from the same period is known by you to be relativly trouble free and reliable, as well as affordable.

In my mind, there are two ways of looking at a car purchase; you buy the newest best car you can afford and hope for the best, or you buy a reasonably priced older model and hope that all the trouble has (mostly) been dealt with by the previous owner(s). There is risk in both.BUT, I am willing to risk an older car in good order. The question is which model, and which year? I want an XJ but am open to alternatives, if there is a reasonable argument against or for a particular model . I can't spend more than, say, 6k on purchase, but I see plenty of choices at that price. I don,t want to finance this car, otherwise I'd just get a relatively new one.

Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to some sage advice.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

With that pragmatic attitude you will be a Great Jaguar owner!

You will find the forum index here;
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/

All models and relevant years are listed in sort of an index, most recent models first. Skulk around, ask questions in sections that look interesting to you.

Bear in mind, however, every model has its fans and adherents. If you want a 2002 - 2008 then restrict your search to those years.

Most of all, I wish you success in your search and the Thrill of the Hunt!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 02-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Journeys

My research lead me to believe the post-Ford Jaguars were more dependable than the Volvos I had driven for years. My ownership of this 2006 S-type 4.2 has not changed my mind.

The first Jaguar I owned was a short wheel base XJ6. It was that same balance of sportiness, quality and luxury I wanted again. For me the XJs erred to one side and the X-Type to the other with the classically styled S-Type finding just the right balance.

I cannot imagine being more pleased with a car even if it does lack the supercharger I thought I needed.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:58 PM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:35 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Welcome.

Not knowing where you are, makes advice awkward, so I will refrain at the moment.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum Gr8?,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

It sounds like you've already found your way to the X300 and X350 forums for the models of XJ you are considering so there's no need for links from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top of each is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

I think in a way you're asking the wrong question. The 'best' is not necessarily a particular year. Far more important with a used Jaguar is a complete history preferably backed up with a bulging file of receipts. A well maintained Jaguar is a pleasure to own but a neglected one can be a money pit.

You can also visit the US Southwest Region forum by following this link US Southwest - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 02-22-2016, 05:33 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Gr8?,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 02-22-2016, 09:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MiamiTVR
My research lead me to believe the post-Ford Jaguars were more dependable than the Volvos I had driven for years. My ownership of this 2006 S-type 4.2 has not changed my mind.

The first Jaguar I owned was a short wheel base XJ6. It was that same balance of sportiness, quality and luxury I wanted again. For me the XJs erred to one side and the X-Type to the other with the classically styled S-Type finding just the right balance.

I cannot imagine being more pleased with a car even if it does lack the supercharger I thought I needed.
Good morning. Thanks for all the welcomes.

In reply to you Miami TVR, I do love the lines of the S type, absolutely Gorgeous throwback homage to a classic Jag. I don't like the interior however. Too Avalon-esq.

Perhaps I am being unfair. I have never driven one, but I have ridden in an R supercharged version, and I was impressed by the power and handling evident even from the passenger seat.

The XJ is all gentleman's club, the S seems more " trying too hard". Inside anyway. But oh those lines....

To the important matters, the S is a solid reliable Jaguar from all I can discover. Conceptualised pre-Ford, the car was non-the-less advanced greatly by Ford engineering, especially after a 2005 rework, which included the Zf transmission which everyone loved.

I read somewhere that the S type was at least partly built on the same platform as the Taurus. Can anyone elaborate or substantiate that? If true, it could mean swap-abilty of some parts.

S types are certainly affordable, according to Edmund's, ect. Almost too affordable for 2003 model. Sub 3k for base 6 cylinder. Curious.

I am in New Mexico, BTW. But not confining my search to immediate area. West and south. No northern road salting states, though.

Keeping an open mind and learning. It's a bit overwhelming, but exciting. Spent hours reading the forum last eve, and people here really know their business. My brain was spinning on some of the technical threads. Lol. But it's great fun and I am learning so much.

If I wanted a car just to go, I'd buy a Toyota. However, I want a car I can love.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8?
...... If I wanted a car just to go, I'd buy a Toyota. However, I want a car I can love.
Owning a Jaguar is a love hate relationship.

Graham

Old 02-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Owning a Jaguar is a love hate relationship.

Graham
That describes Any relationship!!
(';')

Old 02-23-2016, 04:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8?
Good morning. Thanks for all the welcomes.

In reply to you Miami TVR, I do love the lines of the S type, absolutely Gorgeous throwback homage to a classic Jag. I don't like the interior however. Too Avalon-esq.

Perhaps I am being unfair. I have never driven one, but I have ridden in an R supercharged version, and I was impressed by the power and handling evident even from the passenger seat.

The XJ is all gentleman's club, the S seems more " trying too hard". Inside anyway. But oh those lines....

To the important matters, the S is a solid reliable Jaguar from all I can discover. Conceptualised pre-Ford, the car was non-the-less advanced greatly by Ford engineering, especially after a 2005 rework, which included the Zf transmission which everyone loved.

I read somewhere that the S type was at least partly built on the same platform as the Taurus. Can anyone elaborate or substantiate that? If true, it could mean swap-abilty of some parts.

S types are certainly affordable, according to Edmund's, ect. Almost too affordable for 2003 model. Sub 3k for base 6 cylinder. Curious.

I am in New Mexico, BTW. But not confining my search to immediate area. West and south. No northern road salting states, though.

Keeping an open mind and learning. It's a bit overwhelming, but exciting. Spent hours reading the forum last eve, and people here really know their business. My brain was spinning on some of the technical threads. Lol. But it's great fun and I am learning so much.

If I wanted a car just to go, I'd buy a Toyota. However, I want a car I can love.
I completely agree with your observations regarding the interior of the S-Type. I did luck out and have some pink swirls and attractive grain in my wood. The seat pattern would have killed the deal if this particular car not been in the condition it is in which made the long delayed compromise a touch easier.

There are upgraded interiors in the Satin Edition, VP and a number of optional interiors for the R model including the luxury and two tone leather with aluminum trim.

I am newly (and enthusiastically) returned to Jaguar and in no way an expert on them so some of this may be in error.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<