New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello! 1988 XJS V12 coupe, non running!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hello! 1988 XJS V12 coupe, non running!

I'm not shy!

Nice to virtually meet everyone. I know enough to realize I am at the deep end of the pool now trying to cough this thing back to life...

No pics, and I need to flesh profile out, both will happen. I am not going to ask the newbie questions you are certain to expect. I have my homework cut out for me.
it may take years, it may not, but I will get this thing on the road again. I just need to do my queries and track down the service manual, and then my newbie questions will certain begin in earnest!

as a personal interest matter, I have a 07 Lotus Exige S , that I turn a wrench on and eat my own dogfood as well with. I can't wait to learn where to even start on this beast...

Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 PM

I will learn to navigate the forum, but no doubt the information and potential brotherhood is here.

I am a little OCD about cars so I guess I better shut it down for one night. Don't want to get wrapped around the axles so to speak so soon.

I have a parts car and will post up VIN for general purposes when I get the vehicles moved to their new home.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Welcome aboard.

An XJS is a dream once you get everything sorted out.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Motard (08-29-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:57 PM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:08 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Welcome.

The XJS is a SIMPLE car, only made complicated by the owners.

Mandatory requirements:

Sense of humour, the more warped the better.
Ability to consume alcohol.
Vocabulary extension, that will be automatic.

On a SERIOUS note:

Work systematically, a MUST.
Have a read of the "sticky" I wrote at the very top of the XJS Tech Section, might save some foul words, and pain in the wallet.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum Motard,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/ to the XJS forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Southern Midwest Region forum by following this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...rn-midwest-67/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 02-28-2019, 04:17 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:25 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Motard,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 AM

Thank you all for your salutations gentlemen. I look forward to finding what my VIN reveals.

I think it might have some throwback Jaguar wire rims cause I have not seen any images of this model with wire rims. The previous owner had a couple of E type and it does look like those rims. The parts car does in fact have what looks like oem rims. Of course it may just be a a option that was available, my research is in it's infancy

Just the same, I will be taking the possible e type rims off to polish up,( Nope not really anything unusual and definitely not from a E type...) and put the oem rims on while I am working on the vehicle.

Last edited by Motard; 02-28-2019 at 06:06 PM. Reason: I learned something, figured post should reflect that
The following 2 users liked this post by Motard:
GGG (02-28-2019), Grant Francis (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 07:56 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Hello,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar Project! That'll keep you out of the bars for a while, and give you Such a sense of accomplishment with every little victory!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 02-28-2019, 03:45 PM

VIN

What the rest of my life looks like

not certain of color nomenclature or how to decipher vin yet ( Black)

Rim's on vehicle

Odometer, maybe there is some silver lining?

interior seats

Door Card

Hood

Obligatory Jaguar roundel shot
No doubt, I know guru's like to lurk... So I will drop what further information I have. It might be verbose.

Was a father of a friend. Sadly it was not too far from the coast in Florida. It was parked, for years under a carport, with a cover. Evidently it has original paint, and the odomoter reads 39k. It was impossible to describe the condition it's paint was prior relocation. think nautical. I will source those pics for posterity. heh

Evidently someone attempted to start it up a few years after the father passed and there was a immediate fire which was put out, but not before scorching the fuzebox. The entire wiring harness has been replaced from the parts car. After initial research years ago,I assumed it was bad injector isolators, but now I must suspect electrical system as well. ( one of myriad I suppose that will need to be sorted ) Here are some pics I took today including VIN.

Last edited by Motard; 02-28-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The wire wheels are not OE Jaguar. There was an aftermarket option available in the US which I think was manufactured by Dayton in Ohio.

Graham

Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM

I am on my way!

I got the surgetank and gas tank out this weekend. (offerings of appreciation for all those who have gone before me)

Surgetank is a mess, gas tank, might just work out fine with some vinegar cleaning. ( I'm in no rush) I can imagine all the crud that is going to have to be blown out when I take the fuel rail off.

One positive is it is a tale of two cities between my parts car and this low mileage survivor. Rubber is still pliable, wires are not brittle. I still have a long slog ahead, but I am still enjoying myself! I plan to keep it that way, until the God's decide time to test me on this car.

The rust on the leading edge of the trunk albeit not superficial, is well manageable! This is the immediate "before" image, I have cleaned it quite a bit since.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:31 PM

Well... I am in the thick of it now. (front of car now)

Rear of car is done ( fuel system)

I am removing radiator for general purposes( and to replace electric motor) so access to belts and crank nut is open. I am confused as to the direction that I am to turn the engine manually. ( I know the explanations I have seen seen simple, but I don't want any confusion on my part. I will have plugs out, and marvel mystery oil in each cylinder.

Replacing distributor, wires, plugs, The injector hoses are hard as a rock, so of course will be replacing all those lines, and I will need to bench clean and test all injectors.

I am removing the intake manifold to get all the buildup gone. Even though I don't know what to expect once I attempt to fire it up, I am going to go ahead and replace valve cover gaskets ( and inspect) since I don't want to have to go back and tear down that far again just to do later.
( I am already out some money on parts, anyway should unhappy noises occur upon startup and gaskets are cheapish).

My only real question right now is if someone could be kind enough to tell me in no uncertain terms which direction I turn the crank.

Here are a few pics after initial clean up.

only back quarter panel cleaned, paint is ok underneath.

Of course I am open to all other advice if someone is so inclined. Thanks!
I am following all other guidelines. I really want to give this engine the best shot I can first time I turn it over using starter.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:55 PM

Figured I would post a few pics of The Lotus since we are all car enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 PM

God,

This car is a war of attrition... All that is left is to replace ignition tumbler ( Was torn up when car was first towed from it's resting place( no keys). I have all parts from parts vehicle.

Last thing is replace the engine fuel lines. I have already tested/ cleaned injectors and replaced lines, gaskets etc... new distributor, wires, plugs, vacuum lines, rotor, belts.

Engine turned over consistently and smoothly by crank, ( put few oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in) Replaced engine oil/ filter.

I predict being able to hook a battery up in approx 2 weeks do some quick tests, then try to start it up. I will prob be up to around 2k in parts alone... The hours spent on this thing definitely going to be dialed back regardless of if it fires up or not.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:27 PM

Today was a big day! I sorted out a faulty main relay and got a correct size battery. It started! It ran!

Not a squeak not a drip. Idle is a little high 1050rpm, but is stable and does not hunt. I tried to dial the idle speed screw on auxiliary air valve, but past a point it seemed to not like, so I backed it out till idle was smooth. a little high, but smooth. I may try to replace air valve with one in parts car, but it's not so high that it seems that concerning.

I drove it around the neighborhood, all gears work, it needs brake job and new tires before I venture on the road. Beyond satisfied, and beyond excited,

I now have a very well running 1989 Jaguar XJS v12 to keep working on! I cannot thank this community enough for all the information I could have ever needed to get me to this point. Thank you indeed!

The following 3 users liked this post by Motard:
Daf11e (06-23-2019), Doug (06-23-2019), GGG (06-24-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:45 PM
Daf11e (07-08-2019), Grant Francis (07-08-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:16 PM

Welp... SHEW!!!

The engine is just amazing. Despite the low mileage, I will still have to touch about every system. I have it on the road now. I have never experienced a car with the "feel" this thing has on the highway at about 85-95mph. It certainly does growl. My guess it is one of the most "complete" roadcar's I will have the honour to drive in my lifetime. I honestly don't even think it needs an alignment given how planted and well it tracks. I feel nothing in the steering wheel that takes confidence away.

I am now however no longer going to be able to take small affordable bites. The AC needs overhauled. The rear suspension. "Cage" needs to be dropped. All the rubber everywhere can stand for replacement. I did'nt take any shortcuts on the engine prior to startup. This car has a lot of life left in it. I will post the " after " image in a month or so after taking it to a professional detailer. I did however find the "before" image...

Thank you all again for the wealth of knowledge that I have availed myself of. I wouldn't be driving it without this community! I hope everyone enjoys this long Labor Day Weekend. Taking the Beast to it's first car meet tomorrow. Excited!

GGG (08-30-2019), Grant Francis (08-29-2019)