New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from Atlanta, Georgia

Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hello from Atlanta, Georgia

I am a new Jaguar owner (my car is used). I have mostly driving the German Cars and a few American cars here and there. I just bought a 2005 Jaguar S Type 4.2 Sport Edition. The car seems to be very well maintained, I dont know much about Jaguars other than I have always loved them since childhood and when I found this one, I really wanted it. I did do some research, being a BMW owner, we go through the maintenance nightmares as well, in the 90's I had a 325is, and it used to nickel-dime me to death. Now I say BMWs Hamilton-Benjamin you to death.

This car, the gentleman was the 2nd owner, and like me, is very OCD when it comes to cars. My BMW is a 2000 528i, I am the 2nd owner, owned it for 10 years, and I have maintained the interior to almost like new, replacing anything that even remotely fades or gets dirty. This person was the same on the Jag.

He did say that when he bought it, he got it at around 24K miles, and somehow he was able to get Jaguar to replace the transmission due to some noise it made that apparently was a known fault. I dont know about that, could not find anything referencing that bit. But he had the receipt from the warranty replacement. The car has just over 108K miles on it, and drives extremely well, and surprisingly quick for such a heavy car. I have owned the Mark III and Mark IV Supra's so I love speed, and this car with its elegant driving, has a bit of a mean streak in it.

Myself, I have lived in Atlanta for the past 35 years, born in Tennessee, grew up in Hawaii as a young child, and then moved here to Atlanta. My car is Black on grey interior, it has that metal interior.

I am still deciding on whether to keep the car, I know there is a lady that wanted the car from columbus, but I got it before she could get up here. So once I get the Title, is when I will decide on keeping it.

Sounds like if you get a good one, they are great with some repairs here and there, if you get one that is suspect, get out your wallet. After spending over 8K on my car over the past few years, keeping it up, thats the last thing I want to do, so hopefully I will be able to get a good idea. There is a place called Scotts Service up here in Alpharetta that services Jags, Porsches, Merc's, BMWs, the lot, taking it there to be looked it, change the oil and all that good stuff.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,759 Likes on 12,148 Posts

Welcome to the forum tkajohns,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link USA Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 01-24-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 4,174 Likes on 3,637 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,929 Likes on 5,281 Posts

Hello,
As your 'new' Jaguar is now 10 years old, you can probably expect some repairs in the future, because cars, Any car, is really a perishable object. But Jaguars respond well to care and attention.
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 01-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Default Maintenance and Repairs

The good news is that I just met with the gentleman that I bought it from. He had some additional receipts where he replaced quite a bit just a year ago. The 100K service was done, new brakes and rotors all the way around, new radiator and hoses, and he had to replace the Xenon's that were still under his extended warranty. And he replaced the serpentine belt.

The one thing I need to search on is he replaced the throttle body assembly and gasket. Dont quite know what those are. And what it should cost to have the fuel filter replaced. Its about due he said.

Now, I have found a place that services Jaguar so I dont plan on taking it to Jag dealer, I never did that with my BMW, found someone I trusted and stayed with them. Same will apply with the Jaguar.

Any idea out there what some of you paid to replace the fuel filter, and also, what is the SEMP Pump? I dont know if I am saying that properly.

Tim

Old 01-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Received 6,241 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums tkajohns,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 01-25-2015, 04:47 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 02-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Using JF "How To"

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

The following users liked this post:
tkajohns (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the access. I appreciate it.

Tim

Old 02-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Hello & welcome , nice to see you here , enjoy the forums . Maybe your time here will help you make up your mind if your " S "is going to be a keeper !!

tkajohns (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 AM

So far I am more leaning to keeping it. I just love the looks of the car and for the most part it has been taken care of. Not a fan of the tires the previous owner used on this car, I have used Toyos on my BMW and they were great, not so sure on this car. But, I think he may have used some place like a TiresPlus to do the alignment and everything I am reading here is that you really need to have Jag or some place that is a jag repair shop do the alignment, he didnt and I think thats what killed his tires in the front. He just replaced them only 15K miles ago and they are rated for 40K miles.

Five Speed (02-02-2015)