New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from Australia

Old 11-21-2017, 09:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hello from Australia

Hi All,
I thought it was about time to join this excellent forum, that I have enjoyed the last 6 months or so.
6 months ago I purchased a Jaguar 2011 XF S, with the 3 litre V6 TT diesel engine and 6 speed ZF gearbox.
I am "over the moon" with the quality and design of this car in general, more so than what I expected to be...
The only "let down" has been the base sound system, which I see is well documented and commented on by others.
This is about to upgraded to a Bower & Wilkins system with a few other components.... more information will follow in the relevant forum...
I am originally from Denmark, and when I was 24 years old I left to start a new life in Australia.
Still here as I married a local girl and had three fantastic kids and the rest is history.
I am an Electronics Engineer by trade, and am now running a small AV company in the northers suburbs of Sydney.
My background is both mechanical and electronic.
I have a highly customized Datsun 240z with a Nissan RB20DET conversion project in the garage (sadly never finished...), that one of these days I will either finish or sell as is.
Love my music.... also experienced in designing speakers, so these skills are coming in handy with the upcoming sound system upgrade... The B&W speakers are on their way.
Attached a few photos of my big cat.
Kind Regards,
Michael

Attached Thumbnails Hello from Australia-jaguar-xfs-250-1.jpg   Hello from Australia-jaguar-xfs-250-2.jpg   Hello from Australia-jaguar-xfs-250-3.jpg  
Old 11-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Received 6,240 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Michael,

Good to have you with us.
The tech section is the place for good help and advice https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Received 10,284 Likes on 6,805 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,926 Likes on 5,279 Posts

Hello, Michael,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 11-22-2017, 10:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

Welcome to the forum Michael,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

It sounds like you've already found the model forum but if not, follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/ to the X250 forum for help, advice and information.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Australia - NSW / ACT Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...-wales-act-93/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 11-22-2017, 01:53 PM
Received 3,800 Likes on 2,780 Posts

Welcome aboard Michael.....I'll add you to our NSW Roll.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:57 PM

Thank you all for the kind reception.

Added email signature as per suggestion - work in progress

Kind Regards,
Michael

Old 11-22-2017, 10:52 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:25 AM
Received 4,174 Likes on 3,637 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 12-26-2017, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see what you've got planned for this car considering the other heavily modified cars! Please keep us updated on the sound system!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:42 PM

Hi Chandy,
I am sorry for the delay.
Have been enjoying some off-screen time over the summer break.
As a quick update... before posting photos etc:
Removable plywood mezzanine board with three Alpine Class D Amps installed above emergency spare wheel
Used a Land rover Rover T-harness kit wiring kit for a plug & play - no wire and other "butchering" approach
All B&W speakers from US wrecker installed in doors and I used a slim 10" Pioneer sub woofer as a start in the boot
All connected relatively easily and seem to work.
Yet to properly adjust active filters, and add any passives if required, using noise signals and test microphone with real time analyser
It certainly produces a better sound with way less distortion.
Still not happy withe the highs (Tweeters) as is, but really need to analyse this properly before judging. There could be some phase cancelling effect at play here.
I hope I don't have to get too serious about this with checking each drivers Thiele & Small parameters and modifying cavities for option sound..!
You can spend your life doing this in a car, where when you open a window everything changes, so everything is about the best compromise in any case.
I will soon poste some more and better organised information to help others.
Kind Regards,
Michael

Old 01-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

You know you can retrofit the full factory B&W system which also gives you the surround functions and other controls from the touchscreen, i've done this on a couple of XF's now

Have a look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-audio-178264/

Old 01-01-2018, 10:11 PM

Hi Cambo,
I did see your excellent post earlier.
Sadly, I am an incurable audiophile and generally dislike Dolby Prologic surround systems for music reproduction.
To me they "muddy up" the sound image.
I did consider using the factory the factory amp, but ended up with low cost Alpine amps that all has plenty of overhead to produce an amazing sound, whilst having very practical active filters built in.
If there is a gap in the sound image, I might consider using a center speaker in the dash board, fed by a spare pair of amp channels, effectively producing a mono channel in "bridge mode".
The speaker driver would have to have highs as well though, so a suitable coaxial type with a tweeter would have to be sourced.

Amplifier setup with 2 x Alpine MRX-F35 and 1 x Alpine MRX-M55 units.So here is the first picture of my mezzanine amplifier board, that can easily be removed, should I need the emergency wheel.
The high-level input and speaker output plugs can be reached under the "carpet" for disconnection.

What are your experiences with Subwoofers in XF's ?

Currently I have a Pioneer TS-SWX2502 in the boot, due to its compact size.
Thanks,
Michael