New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

From a Maserati GT to F Type S !

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default From a Maserati GT to F Type S !

Hi All,

I just bought a 2015 with 6K miles in white, pretty well loaded and I really love it! I've been driving Maserati's for the last 5 years; a used 2008 and presently a 2014. The 08 had a 4.2L and was pretty slow, I made the mistake of test driving a new 14' which has a 4.7L and I quickly sold the 08' and leased the 14' which ends this month. I absolutely loved the Maser but I was ready for something different and the F Type was at the top of the list!

What I like about the F Type over the GT:
Much better handling
More contemporary styling
Much better stereo and infotainment (the GT's is ancient in comparison)
Panoramic roof
Seats

What I'll miss about the Maserati:
4 seats. The back seats are very usable and my adult kids would sometimes ride with us
More spacious and slightly more comfortable on long drives
I think the styling is timeless
Huge, column mounted, metal paddles (Jag should change this on such an expensive car)
The V8 sound which is incredible (similar to the R)

The only thing that I am really surprised about with the Jag V6 is how the power just drops like a rock in the higher revs. The Maser has a pretty flat power band all the way up. I was expecting them to be much closer in that respect, yes the GT has a V8 with 454 HP but it's a much bigger, heavier car.
I'm hoping the VAP tune will help in that respect. If not I'll drive it for a while and then look for an R.

Personally, I'm a commercial photographer with a studio in Manhattan, I recently downsized and moved from NY to CT.
Tony

Last edited by AJF; 04-04-2017 at 07:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,826 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tony,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Interesting to read your comparison of Maserati GT vs F-Type. I've almost discounted an F-Type as a replacement for my XK - the luggage space is useless for Continental touring. The GT is now on the list of possibles.

I can see you've already found your way to the F-Type forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Northeast Region forum by following this link US Northeast - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM
Received 10,358 Likes on 6,852 Posts

Welcome.

AJF (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 AM
AJF

Thanks Guys!
GGG, one thing you should know about the Maserati: People always ask if it's reliable and I say it's as reliable as most of todays cars, BUT if something goes wrong it will cost 3-4 times to get fixed as a Honda or Chevy etc. I would not drive one without a warranty for that reason. Maintenance is also expensive; get ready for $700 oil changes. And each dealership charges WILDLY different service prices, one dealer wanted almost twice as much for one of the scheduled services as another dealer. I am lucky because I am close to 4 dealers within driving distance so I could get several prices.

Having said that, your XK is probably the closest to the Maserati (4 seats, a comfortable grand tourer, etc.) but the XKR would be IMHO close enough that I would consider that as a good choice too.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,826 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
........ GGG, one thing you should know about the Maserati: People always ask if it's reliable ......
Jaguar have been fighting that same reputation for over fifty years.

Graham

Old 04-04-2017, 09:18 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by GGG
Jaguar have been fighting that same reputation for over fifty years.

Graham
Haha yea ikr. When people start asking about the costs of maintenance and reliability they usually can't truly afford the car. They might be able to *buy* the car, but they can't afford to *keep* the car.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,016 Likes on 5,320 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
Haha yea ikr. When people start asking about the costs of maintenance and reliability they usually can't truly afford the car. They might be able to *buy* the car, but they can't afford to *keep* the car.

How True, Tony!!
People like you describe should only own Appliance Vehicles, with little or no "personality," as they'll be forever complaining about the "reliability" and "expense" of anything else.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

AJF (04-04-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 AM
AJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
There is a strong sense of being snug, cozy, and secure while driving...a sort of "this car will take care of me" sensation. That's *real* comfort.

Yes that's true. I was sure my wife would hate the Jaguar, she's tall and there's definitely more room in the Maserati, but she love's it! She said it's quiter, and less intimidating (I drive in non-sport mode when she's in either car), to the point where she would drive it . Hmm, not sure about that last part

Old 04-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 6,271 Likes on 5,468 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Tony,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

AJF (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 3,861 Likes on 2,804 Posts

Welcome aboard Tony.

AJF (04-04-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Received 4,197 Likes on 3,658 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

AJF (04-05-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 05:08 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

AJF (04-07-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 12:52 PM
AJF

Wow! I just drove my GT after driving the Jag for a couple of weeks and it feels like a truck lol! (I do miss that V8 sound a little though)