New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New & manual engine swap into XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New & manual engine swap into XK8

Living in Somerset with an interest in non boring vehicles. Daily drivers are 1993 Saab 900 turbo, 1959 Land Rover S2. Also a good 1984 BMW R80RT motorbike (soon to be offered for sale) and on stands a 1971 Volvo 1800E converted back to carbs.

Hankering is a V8 again, for the sound really but may as well have some performance too !

As an armchair expert (I have stood outside one with owner revving it for me, and sat in a couple at auctions) I have the following comments re XK8:

1. Its about the most beautiful modern out there.
2. As standard, the V8 sounded like a Ford Mondeo from outside. Inside it must be even more muted and rather bland in sound. Nothing compared to a TR8 and so tame compared to any TVR V8. Is it just the exhaust and mild cams?
3. I'd like manual. The only serious conversion I heard of never became commercial as it was going to cost a good £7k+ between fitting the gearbox and tweaking the ECU
4. Cars like this have too many sensors of dubious quality, causing false alarms, causing the car to go into limp home mode when it doesn't even have a real fault. Range Rovers of this vintage are even worse, and Mercedes similar (I tried both!).

So I have a ghastly armchair solution seeking comment from the wise ... does it make sense to buy one and when it gets the electrickery gremlins take out the engine & box, remove the airbags and fit another V8 & box .... perhaps a Rover unit, perhaps a TVR tweaked, perhaps even a 1960's Jag/Daimler 2500 V8?

I have read that MOT emissions tests should be taken from the provably oldest of either engine or body, so emissions won't be a major issue. My aim is to achieve a great body with a manual V8 and relaiable, simpler electricks. I don't really care that much about safety airbags and even ABS I see as 'nice to have' rather than a must. I don't seek ultimate speed/accelaration but do want manual with a V8 burble that can be heard by the driver.

Any thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,822 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Welcome to the forum Michael,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I can see you have already found your way to the XK8/XKR tech section to ask these questions so there is no need for a link to it from me.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You can also visit the UK Region forum by following this link UK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in this country.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Received 4,192 Likes on 3,653 Posts

welcome to the forum- you'll find plenty of info and support here - enjoy!!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 6,258 Likes on 5,458 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Michael,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard Jaguarforums.
If you need any help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator or veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features, so please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

The following users liked this post:
michael english (03-24-2014)