New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New (to me) XJR, and new to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New (to me) XJR, and new to the forum

Hi Jag Enthusiats,
Today I picked up my 99 XJR Anthracite with Oatmeal/Black two tone interior. I drove it from OKC to Tulsa and it performed beautifully. I even spanked me a 3 series bimmer on the turnpike. Clicked the sport button and mashed it. The look on the guys face in my rearview was fanatastic.
I have wanted an XJR since I was a kid. I remeber staring at the '98 XJR in the showroom here in Tulsa way back when. It was identical to the one I just bought.
There are a few issues with the car that I will need some help with. The sunroof is detached from the trim insert that covers the opening. It looks almost like it is too small, or that it is missing a piece. Is it a two piece cover? The only other issue was a broken high beam lens on the right side. Before I went down to OKC I picked up a replacement assembly for 200 bucks, and installed it before I drove the car away.
I am so excited to finally own the car that I have always wanted. I have had multiple 5.0's and Camaro's. An XJR was way out of my price range. Fortunately I am 30 now, and pull down decent bucks. So my XJR is a reality. It is a one owner car. This old man owned it from day one until he died two months ago. It has had all scheduled maintenance and every piece of warranty work. TC tensioners as well. I actually spoke with the mechanic at the Jag dealership that worked on the car for 12 years. It has 166K miles, and I bought it for 5695.00. It is dark out tonight, pictures to follow tomorrow.<<<<< how I feel!!!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

ym37 welcome to the forums. Congrats on your new ride. Jim will be along to upgarde you to full membership so you post up pictures.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Sounds like a good find, head over and ask the XK guys about your problems.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there ym37tech Glad you found us and hope you enjoy the site.

I envy you as I've been looking at XJR's myself recently and have been falling head over heels for them....want one and soon.
Post pics please....yours sounds gorgeous

There's some really great members / techs and advice here as well as a few laughs to be had.
Make sure you check out the relevant section for your car, any FAQ's / TSB's for info and the Off Topic section for general catch up and a few laughs. Maybe check out the Mug shot thread and add yours?

In the meantime I'll upgrade you too full forum access so youcan better view the site

Old 05-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 193 Likes on 161 Posts

....sweet!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks guys. And thanks for the membership upgrade. I was so busy today washing and waxing the car, and driving it. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them.

I really like this forum. So many times on the net people are disrepectful for no reason. That seems to be nonexistent here, or at least not tolerated. I enjoy that, we could all use a little more respect, both given and recieved. Thanks again.

The following 2 users liked this post by ym37tech:
JameyXJ6 (05-30-2011), JimC64 (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 193 Likes on 161 Posts

I have to agree. I've been a member of many forums and a moderator of several, including one larger than this one. I've never seen such good behavior as I've seen here, which begs the question, are Jaguar enthusiasts more sophisticated than the average person? I'm going to have to don my smoking jacket and mull this theory over a sherry and my pipe.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome aboard and awesome choice if I do say so myself. As to your sunroof, search the forum, you will find many a post on the issue. It sounds like the rear panel is detached and stuck in the back of the track.

The following users liked this post:
ym37tech (05-30-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by ym37tech
Thanks guys. And thanks for the membership upgrade. I was so busy today washing and waxing the car, and driving it. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them.

I really like this forum. So many times on the net people are disrepectful for no reason. That seems to be nonexistent here, or at least not tolerated. I enjoy that, we could all use a little more respect, both given and recieved. Thanks again.
Thanks so much Ym37tech, on behalf of all the members / mods here who make the forum what it is, both in terms of information and the helpful, friendly attitude to others. Your positive comments are appreciated.

Originally Posted by JameyXJ6
I have to agree. I've been a member of many forums and a moderator of several, including one larger than this one. I've never seen such good behavior as I've seen here, which begs the question, are Jaguar enthusiasts more sophisticated than the average person? I'm going to have to don my smoking jacket and mull this theory over a sherry and my pipe.
Thanks Jamey for your positive comments as always. I've noted this several times and again its appreciated. To be honest its members like yourself who make this forum and self moderate for the most part, the mods and I try our best to take up the slack

Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Ym, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Great intro, and looking forward to your pictures of the XJR. 166K and still going, way to go. Hope your issues are minimal and you enjoy your car to the fullest. Have fun here.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM

I only took one pic. I used it as my profile pic. I will take some more tomorrow. Today I got all of the radio presets, garage door, and seat/mirror memory all set up. I also noticed that it has an aftermarket air filter. Specter-- I have never heard of that. It will have a K&N by the end of the week. I also set up my signature. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I am off to explore the forum. You can also get me at jfeary@acenetconsulting.com .

Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I believe the Specter is a universal intake tube available at Auto Zone.