New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New Member, New Owner, No One Likes Me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, New Owner, No One Likes Me!

I need new friends and a new family - mine are sick of me talking about/thinking about/staring at my car! I've never joined an online group for anything (computers are evil) but I am honestly so excited about this car that I can hardly sit still. My husband is sick of me returning from the grocery store only to leave because I "forgot" to actually get groceries. Heehee. I park it, and try to walk away looking somewhat cool, but I CAN'T...I have to turn around and look at it. Jeez, will this get better??

By the way, I've been reading and know you guys like your pics. So, as soon as I can. It's lunar grey convertible, matching top (think was a special order), ivory interior.

I do have a few concerns: number one, it's at the dealer (3rd time since purchase 2 weeks ago.). The car pulled to the right on the test drive, alignment was part of deal. Picked it up, still slight pull. They ended up replacing rear tires, still slight pull. Maybe more like a drift. My fingers are crossed, I hope they figure it out.

Also a turn signal issue. When signaling left, blinker doesn't shut off after the turn and straightening the wheel like most cars; I have to make a really exaggerated turn to right. Didn't notice on the test drive because I was too busy being stupid and excited. It's certified so that's a little comforting.

Last concern is keeping it looking all pretty and Jagalicious. My husband just laughs at me and tells me to settle down and bring it to a carwash, when I explain why I don't want to, he gives me a "it's just a car.". He's perfect in every other way but I'm still thinking divorce. I mean "just a car"?! Yikes.

Kidding aside, I'm pretty ashamed to admit I've never hand washed a vehicle, at least not one I care about. I drive a 2008 Denali which is a very nice vehicle, but I've always just taken it to whatever carwash was close. I have to learn how to care for this one myself. I'll read more under Detailing posts. Any comments/suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Won't be so longwinded next time. I think I mentioned: Excited!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

He He, welcome to the club, hope they sort the problems so you can enjoy the car fully, and you'll be carrying a smile so wide even more people will hate you! :-)

Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi. No, it doesn't get better. Although I have heard that people like people who like Jags.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the hello's, guys. And Greg - "people like people who like jags" - that's what I'm hoping. in fact, looking around the site I ended up in a post about a group meeting up in Atlanta on May 1 and thought "hey, I'm gonna go", then realized it was 2010. Duh. Glad I found this forum though.

Ciao.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have someone follow you and see if the car tracks straight. Congrats from another newbie.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Jennifer, great intro full of information too

Glad you're excited about the car and really hope you enjoy the forum.

There are some great members here, top notch techs and laughs to be had......and we ALL love Jags so you're in good company.

On the husband thing? It's just a car......I'm thinking Janice from Freinds and OMG!!!!!.......lol

I've manually upgarded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 04-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

"just a car"?...remind him that he's "just a husband".

Welcome. Loved the intro.

PS also liked that you said "lunar gray" not just gray. You have new friends already.

Last edited by mohrd; 04-26-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Jennifer,

All I can say is that this is just the beginning.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum, you will learn a lot from our resident detailler Dave, although taking a convertible through a car wash could give you that 'whole body' wash n wax experience,

Hope that you get things sorted relatively quickly.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

I hope the dealer gets to the root of your problem, and you continue to love the car.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default You are NOT alone...

My quest for a 2008 XK convertible started three years ago when I started looking at the 07s. I decided to wait for an '08 because I have this "thing" about buying a car the first year it comes out, especially in a brand like Jaguar which tends to be a little "tempermental" anyway.

My search for the "perfect" XK took me to virtually every one of the lower 48 states. I finally found an Indigo Blue 2008 XK convertible(still under warranty) in Maryland and had it shipped down to me in South Carolina. The car carrier was very, very late getting to my small town. I actually drove the car off the truck at 1:30AM in the middle of a blinding rain storm...I took it home and washed it in my garage...

I would NEVER take this beauty to a car wash. Wash by hand, only by hand. Would you wash your child with a machine?

Good luck with your purchase. BTW, don't worry about turning back and staring everytime you park the car. It is a thing of beauty, simply the most elegant and sexy machine ever put on the road. And yes, everyone is checking you out (I mean checking the car out...)

As for me, this is my toy, my passion, my mistress. Even my wife has finally learned to stay out of the garage when I am having yet another deeply personal moment with my indigo beauty...

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Jennifer, welcome to the forum. Best of luck with the minor issues on your car. As Stillwaters said, washing by hand should be the only way with a convertible. Instead of waxing check out Zaino products. In the detail section of the forum there is more info about Zaino.

Have fun here and enjoy your new car.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe if you let him drive every once in a while he will come to realize that it is such a great ride. If he doesn't leave him at home.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 AM

you go girl

Old 04-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Jennifer- just joined the forum today and I, too, am gaga about my new baby (it's a bit older than yours, but a pretty 2003 XK8 convertible). As others have suggested, handwashing is indeed the best and it gives one a chance to get to know all the little nooks and crannies of the car, close-up. Keep smiling!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Ah Jennifer - Jagmania is a very complex condition. It affects you physically, mentally and emotionally. A very common symptom is the backward glance from 10 to 30 feet away, and be aware that it sometimes occurs with multiple episodes. At first, you will probably just turn around and stare with that telltale ear-to-ear grin. As you practice this move you will become more and more subtle, but it will never go away, so learn to live with it and know that you are among friends here.

Enjoy the ride,

Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 PM

Welcome jen....glad to see you finally found ur real family...lol

Old 04-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Jen. Enjoy your ride. I used to live near Fernandina Beach for a few years, I've been to Minneapolis.....I'd spend most of my time in the former.....

Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default jealousy

And jealousy raises it's british racing green head, Let them drool, welcome aboard

Quick Reply: New Member, New Owner, No One Likes Me!