New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member. thinking about buying a xj6

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member. thinking about buying a xj6

Hello my name is lorent and im thinking about buying a 1997 jaguar xj6 and found someone who is selling his for the price that I can afford. He says its in good condition but it has 220000 miles on it. Should I buy it? Would this car last me if I take care of her?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,821 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Welcome to the forum Lorent,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I wouldn't be put off a Jaguar with high mileage. How well it has been maintained is of far greater importance.

Follow this link XJ X300 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X300 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You can also visit the USA Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link USA Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Lorent0323 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Lorent,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I wouldn't be put off a Jaguar with high mileage. How well it has been maintained is of far greater importance.

Follow this link XJ X300 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X300 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You can also visit the USA Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link USA Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham
Thank you for replying. And I will. Ill come back to the forum once I decide to buy it or not.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 6,258 Likes on 5,458 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Lorent,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Lorent0323 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Lorent0323 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Lorent. Heck, if the price was right/cheap enough and the car has been well maintained, given the X300's reputation and the success of that engine, I think I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The folks in that section of the forum will undoubtedly guide you with much more specific experience.

Best of luck!
Scott

Lorent0323 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Default Thank you guys

Some said if its well maintained that it shouldn't be a bad thing to buy it. And others said that all cars with high mileage will have problems. Now im a bit more confused on whether or not I should go check it out.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:27 AM
GGG

Lorent,

Go and take a look. You can always walk away.

Describing a Jaguar as 'good condition' often means very different things to different people. Post photos if you want opinions on specifics.

Graham

Lorent0323 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Lorent0323 (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 08:52 AM

This is the only pics he has of the car. any opinions? please be as honest as possible

Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorent0323

This is the only pics he has of the car. any opinions? please be as honest as possible

Looks good in the pictures. Most Jags do. Good enough to take the next step of checking it out in the flesh.

Have you read the buyers guide at the top of the 'X300' section? That's give you s few things to look for

Cheers
DD

Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 4,192 Likes on 3,653 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
Looks good in the pictures. Most Jags do. Good enough to take the next step of checking it out in the flesh.

Have you read the buyers guide at the top of the 'X300' section? That's give you s few things to look for

Cheers
DD
I will now. Thanks

Old 10-18-2014, 09:41 AM
GGG

It looks tidy which is a good start. Wheels appear to have been kerbed which is costly to repair and should be factored into the purchase price. No interior photos and this is where faults can be difficult/expensive to fix.

Have a look at the X300 Buyer's Guide in the FAQ's:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20088/

This explains how the assess a potential purchase.

A Jaguar is never going to be low cost transport and you should give serious consideration to maintenance. If you plan on doing this yourself (and all the required information is available on the forum), running costs are reasonable. If you intend to use a professional shop, then expertise is expensive.

Graham

Old 10-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Some said if its well maintained that it shouldn't be a bad thing to buy it. And others said that all cars with high mileage will have problems. Now im a bit more confused on whether or not I should go check it out.

There is no reason to avoid considering the car just because it has 220k miles. If it has been well kept it probably has some good miles left in it.

But nobody here can positively give assurances one way or the other. It's a used car. There is risk involved.

What is your expectation? And what is your tolerance (mental and financial) for keeping/repairing older cars? A 15-20 year old used car with 200k miles that needs no repairs would be a rare find. And, if found, I wouldn't hold my breath that'll it'll stay that way for too long. Problems are likely to crop up eventually.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-18-2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
There is no reason to avoid considering the car just because it has 220k miles. If it has been well kept it probably has some good miles left in it.

But nobody here can positively give assurances one way or the other. It's a used car. There is risk involved.

What is your expectation? And what is your tolerance (mental and financial) for keeping/repairing older cars? A 15-20 year old used car with 200k miles that needs no repairs would be a rare find. And, if found, I wouldn't hold my breath that'll it'll stay that way for too long. Problems are likely to crop up eventually.

Cheers
DD
I need it to go to school. And as soon as I get a job for that too. Just an everyday car point A to point B. But once im secured on a job I would like to start making it look even nicer if possible.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:02 AM

I need it to go to school. And as soon as I get a job for that too. Just an everyday car point A to point B. But once im secured on a job I would like to start making it look even nicer if possible.
I would have patience and as for money I think I can afford the regular tune up and oil change but as of right now any major fix that it might need im not sure. So thats why im here to figure out what to do if the car has been well taken care of.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

I need it to go to school. And as soon as I get a job for that too. Just an everyday car point A to point B.
It will serve well in that roll. Er....as well as any other car of similar age and mileage.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Lorent:
I want to modify my earlier enthusiasm. Of course, if this car has been maintained, and the price is REALLY cheap (a red flag in itself), it might do the job you are looking for it to perform. Odds are good, though, given its age and use that it will require something big along the way and if you aren't positive you have the time and money to deal with that, it will only cause heartbreak. A 15 year old Honda would be easier and cheaper to deal with, and you could just throw it out if worse came to worse. If school is your focus right now, I'd say invest in that instead, get the dream job, and start saving money to buy the Jaguar you want.

That said, buying a Jag is seldom a decision of the mind, rather the heart. We won't judge you either way!

Best of luck and let us know what you decide. Cheers!
Scott

Old 10-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Default Thank you guys

Thank you everyone for the advice. I didn't buy it. It was in disgusting shape. Paint was bad. Car dull of cigarettes and leather was destroyed. No power steering. And no brakes. The engine and trans was in great shape but everything else was bad thank you guys and I will settle for a honda for now. But I will get my dream job. Abd I will get that jaguar.

Quick Reply: New member. thinking about buying a xj6