New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New member thread! '08 VDP and upcoming projects

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 07:25 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New member thread! '08 VDP and upcoming projects

Hello all! I am Nate, and I am new to Jaguar ownership and new to this forum. I bought an '08 VDP in late May 2019, having looked since ~9-12 months for a Super V8. I snapped this example up from Facebook Marketplace after seeing the price drop from $8k to $6k to $4k. After seeing an '05 Super get snapped up for $4.5k, I couldn't resist!

As such, this cat needs some love, and I could certainly use your assistance. Some projects will be in the Mechanical/Electrical domain, but fortunately most of the needs seem to be Aesthetic.

At this point, I am even considering trading up for a Super V8, for the right price. I saw a nice '05 example for $6.5k on a dealer website - despite the age increase and loss of cooled seats, it would get me a nicer exterior, laminated headliner, and rear seats for my guests!

Anyways, for now, here are the projects I would like to tackle to bring the car up-to-spec:

Old 06-29-2019, 07:28 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forums Nate,

Good to have you with us.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-x350-x358-28/ to the X350 forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Southern Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...rn-midwest-67/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 06-29-2019, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

Here's my project list I would like to take on:

1) Flush trans fluid + replace trans filter (parts ordered)
2) Buy some proper embroidered plush floor mats!3) Replace wiper arms + remove windshield scratches
  • Bosch AR608S arms delivered
  • I could use tips on removing glass scratches
4) Replace front passenger fender liner
  • Car must have been in a wreck - passenger side fender liner, fog lamp housing, and headlamp washer nozzles all missing / detached
  • I found a source for used fender liner, $45. Any other recommendations before I pull the trigger?
  • Part # 216325814
5) Repair passenger bumper/splitter attachment
  • Currently suspended with 4 white zip ties. Any recommendations for how to proceed?
  • Replacement bumper cover is $500, before paint. I would like to avoid this expense
​​​​​​​6) Procure passenger fog lamp housing + lens, and right fog lamp lens
  • Does anyone know where to find this? After a month of scouring, no luck finding the plastic housing (see 2nd pic)
7) Square up headlights + daytime running lights
  • Any tips? Should I just buy a LED overhaul kit while I have the lights open?
  • See pic 1: Drivers DRL is out, Driver's headlamp is dim. Both brights seem fine
8) Balance wheels and refinish/remove curb rash, and replace/re-flash TPMS modules, and procure full-size spare wheel & tire
  • Noticeable steering wheel vibration between 40-65 mph (passengers don't seem to notice)
  • One valve stem is broken. Can I program aftermarket TPMS modules on my own, or just hit up Discount Tire?
9) Repair headliner (backseat portion is delaminated)
10) Repair sunroof gasket and metal sunroof frame
  • No apparent cabin leaks, but the gasket gets more torn with each sunroof operation
  • See last two pictures for gasket tears
  • Any tips on repairing the protrusion causing the gasket to tear? (Last pic) Source for the gasket part #?
11) Repair headlamp washers - passenger nozzles missing, not sure what other hardware is required for this job
12) Program aftermarket key fob, or buy replacement blade and have indie shop program the immobilizer13) Perform JagDroid upgrade for integrated navigation + Bluetooth MP3 into center display
  • Supposedly, budget of ~$250 and a weekend of time
  • Let me know if this worked for you!! I love the Bluetooth phone, and would like to get my GPS and music through the speakers as well
  • https://jaguar.willcoxonline.com/

Anyways - wish me luck, guys! As you can tell, I will be leaning in this form as a resource. I'm thankful to all of the posters I have researched so far, and hopefully I can bring my cat up to standard!

I'd anyone wants to meet up/work together, I'm located near Memphis TN.
-Nate

Old 06-29-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Hello, Nate,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar!
Many of us bought our first Jags only to discover they were projects on wheels. But that's why we got such great deals on them, because the previous owners didn't want to keep up with the upkeep.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';")

Old 06-29-2019, 06:11 PM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Welcome aboard Nate.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 789 Posts

Good Luck Nate.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:32 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Nate,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 06-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:49 AM
Default Update #1: Trans Fluid tackled!

Today, I felt a bit chipper and decided to tackle the trans fluid + trans filter on the way home. I've already put 3,500 miles on the car in the last 6 weeks! The shifts felt rougher to me after a road trip to New Orleans, and the project was already #1 on my to-do list.

Project cost was probably ~$150, considering the filter was $70, 2x 4 quarts of MaxLife = $25, and I had to buy about $30 in tools (fluid transfer pump: $7 at Harbor Freight, Graduated bucket: $5 at Lowe's, Torx/star socket set $20, and $10 in various fittings)

I would recommend buying more fluid than necessary. I believe the whole system uses about 8 quarts, and I might go back for a final flush, since the fluid I was capturing still had a healthy brown hue as I emptied my last jug of fresh fluid. It seems like a contentious topic, but I believe MaxLife will satisfy my driving needs.

To simplify for anyone wanting to tackle this project or research further, see this stickied thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sh-diy-217150/

Key tools:
2x jack + 2x jack stands
Oil pan
40 mm Torx socket
10 mm hex socket
10 mm Allen key
Flathead screwdriver / pry bar (removing cooler lines from ports)
Graduated bucket (10 quarts capacity)
Fluid transfer pump (Cheapo $7)
Hose adapters to plug into trans cooler ports (see sticky post above for detail
Wish me luck! Hope some of you take inspiration and extend the life of your transmissions!

Originally Posted by Vanden Nate
Thanks for the welcome!

Here's my project list I would like to take on:

1) Flush trans fluid + replace trans filter (parts ordered)
2) Buy some proper embroidered plush floor mats!3) Replace wiper arms + remove windshield scratches
  • Bosch AR608S arms delivered
  • I could use tips on removing glass scratches
4) Replace front passenger fender liner
  • Car must have been in a wreck - passenger side fender liner, fog lamp housing, and headlamp washer nozzles all missing / detached
  • I found a source for used fender liner, $45. Any other recommendations before I pull the trigger?
  • Part # 216325814
5) Repair passenger bumper/splitter attachment
  • Currently suspended with 4 white zip ties. Any recommendations for how to proceed?
  • Replacement bumper cover is $500, before paint. I would like to avoid this expense
6) Procure passenger fog lamp housing + lens, and right fog lamp lens
  • Does anyone know where to find this? After a month of scouring, no luck finding the plastic housing (see 2nd pic)
7) Square up headlights + daytime running lights
  • Any tips? Should I just buy a LED overhaul kit while I have the lights open?
  • See pic 1: Drivers DRL is out, Driver's headlamp is dim. Both brights seem fine
8) Balance wheels and refinish/remove curb rash, and replace/re-flash TPMS modules, and procure full-size spare wheel & tire
  • Noticeable steering wheel vibration between 40-65 mph (passengers don't seem to notice)
  • One valve stem is broken. Can I program aftermarket TPMS modules on my own, or just hit up Discount Tire?
9) Repair headliner (backseat portion is delaminated)
10) Repair sunroof gasket and metal sunroof frame
  • No apparent cabin leaks, but the gasket gets more torn with each sunroof operation
  • See last two pictures for gasket tears
  • Any tips on repairing the protrusion causing the gasket to tear? (Last pic) Source for the gasket part #?
11) Repair headlamp washers - passenger nozzles missing, not sure what other hardware is required for this job
12) Program aftermarket key fob, or buy replacement blade and have indie shop program the immobilizer13) Perform JagDroid upgrade for integrated navigation + Bluetooth MP3 into center display
  • Supposedly, budget of ~$250 and a weekend of time
  • Let me know if this worked for you!! I love the Bluetooth phone, and would like to get my GPS and music through the speakers as well
  • https://jaguar.willcoxonline.com/

Anyways - wish me luck, guys! As you can tell, I will be leaning in this form as a resource. I'm thankful to all of the posters I have researched so far, and hopefully I can bring my cat up to standard!

I'd anyone wants to meet up/work together, I'm located near Memphis TN.
-Nate

Old 07-12-2019, 05:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Nate,

Thats a very useful post but it's out of place in the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum. Many members read the Intro's and several post replies but very few then come back to a thread once they've read it.

Your progress in posts #4 and #11 would be better asa the basis of a "My 2008 VdP" thread in X351 forum. Members with the same model will be interested to hear what you have done, offer advice and ask questions.

Graham