New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

New XKR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default New XKR Owner

[IMG]file:///Users/jamescarroll/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]Hey Lads;

I am joining the Forum today from Geneva, Switzerland because I am in the process of buying a 2003 XKR Convertible, Zircon Blue, Blue top, Ivory Detroit 20" five spoke wheels 65,000 miles from the UK for £12,000/$19,000. Vin number SAJAC42R643A37223

It has all it's service records and I am having the wheels refurbished and the transmission fluid/filter changed before I pick it up in Richmond near Heathrow next month. All service is current up to the 70,000 service interval. Two owners before me.

My burning question is what is the received Forum wisdom on the necessity/preference for changing the timing chains and tensioners from what seems to be the '2nd Generation', partially plastic to the '3rd Generation' mostly metal with a plastic chain slider that the factory developed post 2005 for replacements?

I passed up a cheaper 2001 XKR with lower miles because of the tensioner, transmission and cylinder liner issues and don't want to get caught out with an engine that may self detonate.

The UK dealers are quoting about £1,600 to change them including 4 chains and tensioners.

I have read most of the blogs here and else where about this but can't seem to find a 'cut off' production date when you can stop worrying about the tensioner issue.

I was lucky enough to have a 420, a 1959 red XK150 convertible, and a couple of BMW 2002's as my college cars, what are college loans for after all but investing in your future? Since then I have owned every major marque except Ferrari/Maserati, saving those for my dotage, but as my Daddy said if 'I have a dollar in my pocket I will pay somebody else to work on a car'.

I only buy 'keepers' now and living on the front side of the Alps will no doubt limit my annual mileage to less than 5,000mi/8,000km a year so expect to keep this for at least the next ten years.

Will be happy to post photos of past and present toys but can't seem to figure it out yet.

In the mean time I would appreciate the benefit of your collective wit and wisdom on the tensioner replacement question.

My wife would also like to ask where we could find a 'grey' wind blocker/deflector for the back seat as she correctly points out a black one would clash (is that a color?) with the subtlety of the Zircon Blue.

Take your time on that question.

cheers and thanks for letting me re-join the ranks of the besotted with Coventry's finest product, regardless that they are made in Birmingham now.

jamjax, geneve, suisse

Old 10-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Welcome to the forum jamjax. This area is not for technical questions, more of a hi I am so and so.

Please ask any questions in the right section, you will get faster replies. Lots of knowledgable fellows in the XJR area to help you out.

Enoy all the site has to offer!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Hi JamJax - welcome aboard! You definitely want to cruise over to the XK forum and read up and post up questions, someone will know what you are seeking.

You'll be able to upload pics of your toys once you hit either 10 posts or one of the moderators bumps you up to full member status.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 AM

Hey Joycesjag and Chris X;

Thanks but with limited access until I am 'vetted' I am having trouble getting to the right thread/forum...I have tried posting in a couple of places here that I hope will work ....and even 'ahem' asked in my other posts for a moderator to freely move my post to the correct forum.

Until I am vetted I can't use my own jamjax link to see who has responded if at all except by going back to the original thread and seeing if there are any replies...which in a couple of days will be pretty tough with the volume of posts here.

Thanks again and looking forward to much useful information.

cheers,

jamjax

Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum jamjax.

I'll look into your other posts, to see if a move is required.

In the meantime, you will receive email notification of any replies, generally around 9.30 to 10.00 your local time.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good luck with the new car.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks Norri and Super Mod.

I am certainly looking forward to driving and having the XKR in my garage.

Super Mod where are you in Brittany....I will be driving back from London around Nov. 20th to Geneva?

cheers,

james