Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Ex XF Owner's new ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Ex XF Owner's new ride

I have just sold my XF and have purchased a new 2012 BMW 528i with, gasp, a 4 cylinder engine. She is not quite as good looking as the old XF but looks well enough (a little generic but handsome) and handles extraordinarily well. As requested in the XF forum, picture attached.

Spec is Space Grey, MSport package, navigation, premium package, heated seats (I will miss the cooled seats in the XF), BMW Apps. Nice package and helps me achieve my goal for a car that has a premium feel, goes well and does 30+ mpg. Slightly bigger inside than the XF. 0 - 60 about 0.4 seconds slower than the XF (C & D measured the 2012 528i 0 - 60 at 5.9 seconds, the Jag at 5.5 seconds).

When Jaguar get their new more economical engines I will probably be back.

Attached Thumbnails Ex XF Owner's new ride-528i-blog.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 08-07-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: to include pic in post making it larger
Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Good package and I know from comparing costs over here, very competitive.

I can tell the World's in a real mess when Texans worry about fuel costs!

Enjoy it and there's no reason not to stick around the forum.

Graham

Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Good package and I know from comparing costs over here, very competitive.

I can tell the World's in a real mess when Texans worry about fuel costs!

Enjoy it and there's no reason not to stick around the forum.

Graham
Thanks. I am a transplanted Brit (I used to live in Bishop Auckland and went to school in Durham when I was a lot younger) and have been over here for 20+ years now. I do 60 miles a day, so, even at US prices, I needed to reduce costs a little. Although prices are comparatively low now (by US standards, by UK standards even our highest prices are very low!!) at $3.65 a US gallon (about 61p a litre if my maths are correct) I can get a good savings with the 528i. However I am expecting it to go up to $5 a litre in the not distant future.

I will certainly stick around, thank you.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

The 528 is a good choice to meet your goals. Space grey is subtle color but very rich. Two BMW's at work with it. Like the M-sport package.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Thanks. I am a transplanted Brit (I used to live in Bishop Auckland and went to school in Durham when I was a lot younger) and have been over here for 20+ years now. I do 60 miles a day, so, even at US prices, I needed to reduce costs a little. Although prices are comparatively low now (by US standards, by UK standards even our highest prices are very low!!) at $3.65 a US gallon (about 61p a litre if my maths are correct) I can get a good savings with the 528i. However I am expecting it to go up to $5 a litre in the not distant future.

I will certainly stick around, thank you.
You got out at the right time and it hasn't improved in the intervening years.

That's major jump in fuel price. I'm not surprised you needed to review costs with a 15K mile annual commute.

To make you feel a little better, I've filled up this morning in Gilesgate at £1.35 per litre.

Floreat Dunelmia,
Graham

Old 08-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf

When Jaguar get their new more economical engines I will probably be back.
I've owned a half-dozen German cars in the past few years and they are vastly more advanced, vastly more rational, and never fail to impress with their performance and the intelligence behind their designs.

But they are lacking in beauty and romance. Call me a romantic Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 38
Size:  234 Bytes

Old 08-13-2012, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

F10 is the best designed and sophisticated 5 Series ever . I hate former versions lol
This is a sweet car and color is fine too .
Happy driving and this car looks as nice as XF , may be even nicer because of proper front grill

Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Marsden
I've owned a half-dozen German cars in the past few years and they are vastly more advanced, vastly more rational, and never fail to impress with their performance and the intelligence behind their designs.

But they are lacking in beauty and romance. Call me a romantic
I tend to agree. German cars tend to lack 'character', being 'cunning mobility machines' as the UK magazine Car used to call Audis in their long gone The Good, The Bad and The Ugly section. However sometimes that competence to which you refer overcomes their inherently cold and efficient character. My other BMW, a rare, in the US, Z4 Coupe has some real character and is good looking to boot. However this new 5 I am driving has plenty of character and is well made and well thought out. It is a very competent car and I must admit to loving it (I am an engineer). No rattles and in just over 3,000 miles and not a single reason to go back to the dealer. Not something I can say about my XF during its first 3,000 milse, unfortunately.

I notice that Jag have announced a new Turbo V6 and 4 for the XF for MY 2013. It will be interesting to see how well these versions perform and will be reading the XF forum to see how members react (better, I hope than the Bimmerfest members did when the 4 cylinder 528i was announced).

Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by RegentV12
F10 is the best designed and sophisticated 5 Series ever . I hate former versions lol
This is a sweet car and color is fine too .
Happy driving and this car looks as nice as XF , may be even nicer because of proper front grill
Your comments are appreciated. Loving it and have over 3,000 miles of trouble free miles on her already. No rattles and no badly fitting back shelves etc., all problems I had in my XF in the first weeks of ownership.