PRIVATE For Sale / Trade or Buy Classifieds Want to Sell / Trade or buy for free? Then this is your section. NO COMMERCIAL posts. PLEASE COMPLETE THE PREFIX OPTION WHEN MAKING A POST FOR BEST RESULTS Please note: Any /all transactions are made entirely at members own risk, the forum cannot and will not be held responsible for any disputes arising.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS[SouthEast]: 2004 XJ8 garaged since new

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts
Default 2004 XJ8 garaged since new

We bought a 2004 XJ8 for my wife about 2 years ago, maybe a little longer. She has loved the car and it drives and rides amazingly. There are no issues currently but she has the bug for a "new" car. The kids are now teenagers and the amount she has to drive has increased dramatically (play rehearsals, school events etc.).

The car has around 153K miles and looks new inside and out. The car shows excellent for selling but if she racks up the miles for another couple of years it will be worth significantly less.

I have:
1) Serviced the transmission including new seals and all new fluid/filter.
2) Changed the differential fluid
3) Installed new spark plugs
4) Changed the fuel filter
5) Had a new headliner installed
6) New discs and rotors, brakes work great (Spare set of rear rotors come with the car, I accidentally double ordered when I did the brakes)
7) Installed new PCV
8) Installed new headlight bulbs
9) Cleaned and re-enforced electrical ground connections
10) Installed new serpentine belt
11) Rotated tires regularly - Michelins with 70% life left in them
12) Two brand new key fobs that work perfectly
13) Special Jaguar power steering additive used, steering is quiet and smooth
14) Previous owner installed new driver front air strut at dealer right before we bought the car. We installed a new passenger front air strut a couple of months ago.
15) The previous owner kept the car garaged, and its been garage kept since the day we bought it.
-- I work on the cars as a hobby, so surely I am forgetting things I've done...but, that's a starter list.

The car is awesome but we have to be practical so buying her a relatively new Accord or Camry that she can run up the miles on is just a necessary evil right now. I have dropped the price to $4,100 and it’s worth every penny. But, since we are probably going to buy her another car this week I am willing to entertain reasonable offers.

We are in the Greensboro, NC area

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_0524.jpg   2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_0528.jpg   2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_0529.jpg   2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_0526.jpg  
Old 06-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Well, we actually went out and bought my wife a new car today. That means the car detailed above is no longer her daily driver and is occupying a precious space in our garage. Translation, I'm motivated to find it a good home. If you think you are interested in this car check it out and make me an offer.

P.S. -- I put a brand new battery in it just a few weeks ago.

Last edited by harvest14; 06-07-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Default Pics from TODAY

I am guilty of using old pictures of the car from when I bought it, for convenience. Truth is, the car is in better shape mechanically and aesthetically than when we bought it. The only downside is an additional 22,000 miles during our ownership.

There is not a single ding or scratch on the paint. The leather is perfect except for the drivers seat, which is pretty darn near perfect. Just a little wear near the seat belt (see pictures).

It's a sin that a car this magnificent would go for as low as $4,100 dollars but I can't change the market. It runs as smooth as a sewing machine and doesn't leak anything. Garage floor completely dry always. Does not require adding any oil between oil changes. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic and Mann oil filters every 4,000 to 4,500 miles. I looked down inside the engine with a telescoping camera; looks shiny and new. Never have to add coolant. Never overheated since we have owned it and no evidence that it's ever overheated in the past.

Ok, I'm done. Here are some pictures from today (6-8-2017).

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_3698.jpg   2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_3699.jpg   2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_3701.jpg   2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_3704.jpg   2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_3690.jpg  

2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_3692.jpg   2004 XJ8 garaged since new-img_3694.jpg  

Last edited by harvest14; 06-08-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Nice car and a car lot would be about double the price for the car. So a good buy for the car. However i have found that around here people are cheap *******s... they already have jags which is why theyre here. List nationally on like auto trader or ebay

Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jeff,

Sent you a note. I'm interested.

Doug

Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Doug,

The EBay auction ends tomorrow and the reserve has not been reached yet. If no one wins the car I would be very happy to entertain an offer. Please feel free to ask questions if you like.

Jeff

Old 06-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Although it appears someone won the car, they are not able to be contacted. I am feeling like my first experience selling a car on eBay has been met with deceptiveness.

Anyone have any advice for such a situation?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by harvest14
Although it appears someone won the car, they are not able to be contacted. I am feeling like my first experience selling a car on eBay has been met with deceptiveness.

Anyone have any advice for such a situation?
By this you mean the winning bidder never replied? Yes that happens. You can limit accepting bids to certain people with only Blue Star ratings or 100% positive feedback as long as you place the notification in your ad. I think there are ways to automate that in eBay but not sure.

For me personally, and take this with a grain of salt, but I would never buy a car or anything for that matter off eBay that had a reserve. If the seller is hiding their minimum price, they're almost always asking too much (Almost but not always). I'm sure reserve sellers can come out ahead but I'll only look at real prices. The other reason I'm not a fan is as a seller, you tend to get lowballed.

I have contacted a few sellers and asked them what the reserve was and some have told me. 99% of the time they're bottom line is too rich for my blood. It doesn't mean the car isn't priced fairly but why bid up a car you can't afford?

Old 06-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, winning bidder is not responding. He is a brand new member with no ratings. Red flag! Haha

Thanks for the feedback. I disagree on the reserve issue though. The car is worth the buy it now price, and the reserve was significantly lower because I need the garage space, BUT I am not willing to let it go for some ridiculous price.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default EBay

I sold my TVR between one Christmas and a New Years on EBay. Twice.

My "buyer" had an address Google Earth showed as an empty lot. He claimed to be out at sea. The number two bidder claimed to be a special interest car dealer from Italy whose company it turned out was not. My next posting looked like a legal document as I beefed up the requirements to bid.

Be quick and firm. Ebay will help you and relist without cost.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all. I have taken quick steps with ebay and will soon re-list the car. I have already purchased my wife a new car so if anyone would like to make a reasonable offer before I re-list it on ebay please feel free. We really need the space.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

If you re-list the car w/ E-Bay be sure to make it as "Immediate Payment Required" in your settings. I also cancel bids from brand new accounts & put that disclaimer in the item's description.

Godspeed