S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 STR Surge Finally Fixed after 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking 03 STR Surge Finally Fixed after 2 years

2003 S Type R with 118k on the clock. I had a small front end accident around 89k and the car was in the repair shop for over a year.. Learned not to pay friends to work on your car upfront, before the job is done. After getting the car back the battery had to be replaced due to the down time prior. I noticed the car had a severe surging issue that was somewhat worse than most described with the ZF. I bought a Mangoose Pro and setup IDS v131.06 in hopes of flashing the tcm and pcm to resolve the issue. This didn't work so I did a tranny filter, sleeve, and fluid change. This didn't resolve the issue either. I never got any DTC or reasons for the surging, but it would disappear after a short drive and only reappeared if the car sat for 8 hours or more. This started a couple years back and only now can I say I fixed the problem.

I swapped out my front end rotors around 6 month ago and the RH lower caliper bolt took a few more turns than the others to tighten. I had a little shimmy and had a local mechanic look at it, but when he tightened my lugs back down he cross threaded one. I broke a stud off later when checking everything myself and decided to replace the entire hub since I had a new spare sitting around. When I took the hub off I noticed the lower caliper bolt was smashing the speed sensor wire. Not sure when this occurred, but swapped the hub and VIOLA.. I have no issues with the surging anymore. I went ahead and flashed the pcm and tcm, cleared the adaptations and it's an entirely different car. I have debated to get rid of the car due to this issue for so long but glad I held out.. Just strange I never had any codes in IDS and no abs/speed sensor lights. A big thanks to Joyce'sjag for the hub replacement diy, as it took maybe 30 minutes to swap the hub out. One note about the speed sensor issue was when I tried to the adaptation drive cycle in IDS it would never fully start. It showed a tick in the bottom right corner, but acted like nothing was being read. I'm know ZF is looking at wheel speed from what I've read, but curious if the RH front sensor is the main one or a higher priority..?

The following 4 users liked this post by ednedwards:
Datsports (10-19-2017), motorcarman (10-18-2017), Norri (10-19-2017), SinF (10-20-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Congrats on the fix. Can't help you out on the last sentence question, sorry.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by ednedwards
When I took the hub off I noticed the lower caliper bolt was smashing the speed sensor wire.
Wow, what great perseverance!

Just curious, exactly how did the bolt damage the wire? You had mentioned the bolt seemed to travel further than the others when tightened. Was the bolt too long? Missing hardware? Did the tip of the shank pinch the wire, or was it caught some other way?

Old 10-19-2017, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by kr98664
Did the tip of the shank pinch the wire, or was it caught some other way?

It grew over the years(?). Usually everything shrinks when it ages.

Last edited by joycesjag; 10-19-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Certainly not always the case as evidenced by hair on my lower behind.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Wow, what great perseverance!

Just curious, exactly how did the bolt damage the wire? You had mentioned the bolt seemed to travel further than the others when tightened. Was the bolt too long? Missing hardware? Did the tip of the shank pinch the wire, or was it caught some other way?
Some genius got the wire trapped under the head of the bolt so as they tightened the bolt it kept smashing the wire. That genius wasn't me fyi... I'm not sure if the bolt was correct as i used a 18mm socket. I thought 19mm was standard but can't remember.

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I thought it got longer with age or maybe it was with use.. Either way I'll be ok if one is true...

I did want to say i have absolutely no surging at all. Not even the slightest flutter and that's with 120k. When i did the update on the tcm i went the coded way and it installed two files. Trying to remember if noncoded only installs a single update. I do remember Brutal saying he always went the noncoded but i wanted to try something different. Trying different things on IDS had bricked the car a dozen times but knock on wood I've revived each time

Old 10-21-2017, 01:16 PM

I'm going to post a video of using ids soon with updating the tcm. Crazy no one has any online videos with all the issues in the past

The following users liked this post:
Benji999 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm anxious to see your video on the voodoo of IDS. I've bricked my car so many times trying to flash and reflash it's amazing that my baby came back to life after I did an ECM swap (except that my mirror adjust switch locks and unlocks my doors now, not sure if that's related). I also have a horrible lurch and a fluid and filter/ reflash did not solve. Guess I'll be checking the sensors now.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Not many people have the SDD/IDS for home use. I am still trying to put a poor boy version together. So the shops that have it are not going to be doing instructional videos as that is their business!

And Jaguar most certainly will give you no help!

Old 10-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Just got VLR added to the computer last night. Schedule is pretty tight but hopefully a unedited version will be up Wednesday.

The wheel speed sensors could be your culprit.. I just had a severe case of the surging. I would drive the car in 4th for 15 minutes or would warm the car for 20 minutes tp lessen the effect.