locking and unlocking. Cannot lock the doors using the remote key. When the
lock button is pressed, the lights flash once or twice, the passenger and rear
door knobs lock and then unlock within a second and the driver's door knob
does not move. Both remotes have the same issue. I tried changing batteries
but that did not help.

The doors can be locked and unlocked if I insert the
key in the drivers side keyhole.

Interestingly, I noticed the doors dont automatically lock when I shift
the car from PARK to D. In the past it used to do so.

Sometimes it gets stuck in a mode where I cannot unlock the car using the
remote's unlock button. When I press the unlock, I notice the rear and passenger door knobs unlocking and re-locking within a second.

Also, If I hold down the unlock button for more than 4-5 seconds, as expected, the windows roll down, the doors unlock and moon roof opens. Similarly if I hold down the lock button, the reverse occurs, as expected.
Obviously it is a pain to lock/unlock in this fashion.

Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2011, 04:34 AM
tot
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had similar issue two times with passanger door lock. By locking and unlocking the car multiple times using the lever on the problem door has released the sticking mechanism.

The following users liked this post:
msobug (02-16-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tot -- tried it, unfortunately did'nt work.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

If your driver's door latch does not report LOCKED then the ERROR unlocks all the other doors.

Sounds like the Driver's lock actuator has failed and needs replacement.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
msobug (02-19-2011)
Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps not the same thing on my '01 S because neither key or remote will control the system. Position of RF lock controls entire system. All doors unlocked then lock with key or remote locks all doors except RF for a short time and then system unlocks. Similarly when RF door locked all others only unlock for a short time. New actator on RF fix it?

Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen on mine and it turned out to be just a bad fuse in the passenger side fuse box I can take a look tomorrow and see if I remember which one it was. Might be worth a look before you spend $$ on other stuff

Good luck

Old 06-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks G0ofy! The malfunction is intermittent (neglected to mention) so I’m pretty sure it’s not a fuse but it is worth it to check, maybe the fuse is loose or something. Talking about the fuse did get me thinking it could be a bad connection to the actuator or in the actuator, something like the reporting issue motorcarman suggested. Only thing I can see to do is still replacing the actuator. Hate pulling the door panel, having done it so many times and broken most of the clips, without actually replacing the suspect actuator. I’m going to check the fuses and puzzle it out some more to be sure I still think it’s the right front actuator or try to come up with a better idea so ya’ll can still give me advice.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locked out of 3.0 S-type.

Hi folks.
Laying ill in bed and hungry I decided to brave the cold and make a last minute trip to the supernarket (22:45) in the car.
Bad mistake.
freezibg cold n' frosty outside I pushed tge unlovk button on the fob as usual and heard the reassuring 'click'. I pulled the RF door but it was locked. Tried all the other doors whilst repeatingly pushing the unlock button on the filob.
Nothing...all locked tight as a gnat's chaff.
🤔 Hmmm, locks are frozen and returning to locked pisitions directly after unlocking I thought to myself.
And so I pulled the drivers door in between the open click and the locked click.
Still nothing.
Tried the same procedure on the RR door.
Eureka! The door opened.
Leaving the rear door open, I repeated the same method again on tge drivers door.
No success.
Then I walked around the car abd tried the same tactic on the LF door.
Success!
Freezing cold I wslked back round and shut the rear door I'd left open just in case no other door would open?
Returned to the front passenger LF door and decided to clamber over and get into the driver's seat to drive...hoping of course that the problem would rectify itself once the car had warmed up?
I put my bag down on the passenger seat with everything in it, house keys, spare house keys, purse, phone and my whole world (the ladies would understand that one) and began to manoevre myself over the central dash column..
Half-way, I realised the screen was iced up still and thinking I was too cold to wait for the engine to thaw it out I decided to grab my scraper and get back out to scrape the wind-screen.
That was my second mistake.
My third and most crucial mistake was that I closed the passenger door behing me with the engine now running and my bag on the passenger seat and then began scraping the screen.
Having cleared the screen of ice and feeling even colder at this point, I returned to the passenger door...
That sinking feeling when your best pal in the world gets one over you 🙃 Every door on the car was locked tight.
No one was awake un the street, my phone was locked in the car together with my money, cards and both my house keys so I couldn't even go back indoors and oretend this hadn't happened!
Thankfully, my neighbour appeared on his porch having a crafty *** while his missus was asleep..that was a sight for sore eyes.
I used his phone to call the police. Tbh, I wasn't how can I say, optimistic?
How right I was.
The policeman call centre person suggested I call the fire brigade, which I did next.
They were here in literally two minutes.
After they ascertained the situation and Id asked them if they were a member of the AA, they put on their thinking caps and agreed, finally, that a window punch athough being the last resrt may well be the only solution to this scenario..
Resigned already to thisccourse, though very reluctant despite everything I suggest maybe we could bend the FL door open a fraction at the top to get a long pole like thing through the narrow opening and pull the lock release button back to the open position?
The guys were being so patient and thoughtful, they decided to give that idea a try using two wedges alternately hammered into the top crack of the door edge.
The gap opened a few mm's they got the narrow pole in...and clunk..
The door opened!!!

Thank heavens for the Fire Brigade!
They could have just smashed my rear-window, but they didn't. Instead they took their time, employed patience and thought out the solution.

As for the cause of the gliche with the locks or indeed a solution to the cause I havent got the foggiest as it only just happened abd I'm going indoors for a cuppa now I've got me keys back!
One thing though...Im leaving one of my car windows open, just in case..
Fare thee well, ayeee! 😎👍🏻

lQUOTE=Smeghead;365655]Thanks G0ofy! The malfunction is intermittent (neglected to mention) so I’m pretty sure it’s not a fuse but it is worth it to check, maybe the fuse is loose or something. Talking about the fuse did get me thinking it could be a bad connection to the actuator or in the actuator, something like the reporting issue motorcarman suggested. Only thing I can see to do is still replacing the actuator. Hate pulling the door panel, having done it so many times and broken most of the clips, without actually replacing the suspect actuator. I’m going to check the fuses and puzzle it out some more to be sure I still think it’s the right front actuator or try to come up with a better idea so ya’ll can still give me advice.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-19-2024, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

Glad you got going sans the window smashing ritual! Having moved from a Mediterranean to frosty Montana (where -30F can be in the cards at times) I had your kind of experience for the first time as well.

With the shape of the S-types roofline and the absence of old-school gutter trim, moisture can also work its way between the door frame and door seals. This will freeze and stick better than "super glue" on a summer's day. The solution to this dilemma is a liberal spray of a product like Prestone De-Icer spray around the upper door seals, wait a few minutes, and the door will release from its adhesion to the seal.

A suggestion for the next time you post though... It is pretty much always better to start a fresh thread with your problem/solution, as opposed to appending it to a 12+ year old thread which the members are then obliged to read through prior to getting to your issue.