S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 S-type 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 S-type 4.0

When my 2002 Jaguar S type is in park or at a stop while in any gear I get a shake from under the car. I also sometimes get a funny smell in the cabin if I accelerate quickly. I cannot quite explain the smell, but I know its not transmission fluid I am smelling. Or at least I am pretty certain.

The check engine light is on and when I get on the highway it flashes on and off. then goes back to solid. I had had some repairs, mostly dealing with the A/C and a misfiring cylinder. Whole engine was torn apart and put back. More than a year ago. At that time I was told I had a seal that was going bad and I have a really really slow oil drip. But the mechanic told me until it turns into a leak as apposed to seeping I was ok. Planning to have it fixed, hopefully after graduation. I have no other status lights. Over all the car still drives perfect. I do not notice the lag in acceleration that I had when oil was leaking in the cylinders. At that time I believe they also replaced all of the coils. All in all it was a 3000.00 repair. Had to have the entire a/c system replaced. But besides the point.

I am not really qualified to do anything besides basic maintenance. Nor do I have the tools. But tonight I plan to change the oil and check the transmission fluid and all of the filters. I check the plugs, there's no oil in there.

The only other thing I can think of that is relevant is that, for a while I had an occasional shake or knock underneath the car. Only when Idled. I would notice maybe once every few months. Then it became more frequent a few weeks ago. I am assuming it has been going on a while as I let my dad drive it while I was out of the country for a few months. Of course he says he did not notice anything though. The knock has been replaced with the full blown shake.

I ordered the cable to use the android app to check the light, but will take a few weeks.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I get that shake every once in a while as well. I think it's the a/c compressor but am not sure.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

mrrevas, the cam covers have gaskets for the spark plug well. These may b leaking, causing the shake and foul odor. and shorting a coil and burning oil. A vaccume leak may also exist, causing the shake and CEL as well. Check the battery for a weak cell too. This can cause insufficient coil charge and fault lights.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrevas
When my 2002 Jaguar S type is in park or at a stop while in any gear I get a shake from under the car. I also sometimes get a funny smell in the cabin if I accelerate quickly. I cannot quite explain the smell, but I know its not transmission fluid I am smelling. Or at least I am pretty certain.

The check engine light is on and when I get on the highway it flashes on and off. then goes back to solid. I had had some repairs, mostly dealing with the A/C and a misfiring cylinder. Whole engine was torn apart and put back. More than a year ago. At that time I was told I had a seal that was going bad and I have a really really slow oil drip. But the mechanic told me until it turns into a leak as apposed to seeping I was ok. Planning to have it fixed, hopefully after graduation. I have no other status lights. Over all the car still drives perfect. I do not notice the lag in acceleration that I had when oil was leaking in the cylinders. At that time I believe they also replaced all of the coils. All in all it was a 3000.00 repair. Had to have the entire a/c system replaced. But besides the point.

I am not really qualified to do anything besides basic maintenance. Nor do I have the tools. But tonight I plan to change the oil and check the transmission fluid and all of the filters. I check the plugs, there's no oil in there.

The only other thing I can think of that is relevant is that, for a while I had an occasional shake or knock underneath the car. Only when Idled. I would notice maybe once every few months. Then it became more frequent a few weeks ago. I am assuming it has been going on a while as I let my dad drive it while I was out of the country for a few months. Of course he says he did not notice anything though. The knock has been replaced with the full blown shake.

I ordered the cable to use the android app to check the light, but will take a few weeks.
mrrevas, this is certainly one or more misfiring coils under load (acceleration) - hence why your getting the flashing cel and shaking issues - this is NOT a good thing and must be rectified quickly. When you have a flashing cel this basically means un burnt fuel is making it's way through your exhaust and will eventually burn out your cat converter, hence the smell you might be sniffing - but a big +1 to bfgross feedback above regarding cam covers and spark plug well gaskets.

You need to find a mechanic familar with Jaguar - as they will know how to diagnose and change out those cam gaskets and spark well gaskets - also, if you go to a lesser compitent mechanic - they will more than likely change out all your coils (which is pricey) and the issue will come right back as bfgross said if those gaskets are leaking oil into the spark wells.

Usually, the rear coils are the culpret (cyl 3 & 4 on passenger side or cyl 8 on driver's side) but a compitent mechanic should have a coil tester and be able to determine which coil(s) are misfiring intermitiently.

Good Luck!

Last edited by abonano; 09-07-2012 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM

The misfire is in the number 4 cylinder. I moved around the coil and plug from 4 and still recieved a slight knock. No longer a shake. Cannot get the light to return but the misfire in 4 is pending. So I'm guessing not the coil or plug. No oil there either. There were slso some codes for throttle. But after the codes were cleared those did not come back. The only place I can get it in right now is the dealer. Sadly. So if anyone knows a mechanic in Omaha or Lincoln Nebraska that would be great. The only 2 I know are full up at least to the end of the month.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 AM

You can check the fuel injector electrical connector on cyl 4 to ensure it is fully seated firmly. It could have worked itself loose, especially if the tab that locks the connector to the injector is broken or missing. (broken/missing locking tabs - very common on the 00-02 S Types) - worth a check. No need to move the spark plug between cylinders as they rarely are the cause of a misfire.

But... how many miles on the engine?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:02 AM

129k on the engine. Runs very strong otherwise. Does not feel like it has so many miles. Its still in the origional transmission amazingly enough.

I will pull a diagram and check the line. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 PM

Once you get to the source of the misfire in cyl #4 - I would suggest getting the spark plugs changed for safe measure unless you know for a fact they were changed. Now thinking... how did the plug look when you pulled it to switch out to another cylinder? worn???

Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Plugs and coils are wear items. With your cars age and mileage they need to be replaced. All of them or you will be chasing random problems from cylinder to cylinder.

Do you know if they have been changed?? Be sure to check for oil in the plug wells as was mentioned above.

The cam cover gaskets tend to leak and on the passenger side the oil drips on the exhaust manifold and then is picked up by the fresh air intake at the bottom of the windshield. Run your hand along the bottom of the passenger side cam cover. If you get anything on your hand I would change the cam cover gaskets and all 8 plug well gaskets too.

Finally you have timing chain tensioners that are made with plastic. If they have not been change at this mileage they will be very worn. Do you know if they have been changed?

Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ditto, excellent advice.