S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Jag S Type R Trans issue now electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Jag S Type R Trans issue now electrical issue

OK, since my last post my trans has been rebuilt. I had to get a new valve body (brain of trans) directly from Jaguar. Now the first one they sent was not communicating and was deemed faulty (how a new part can be faulty is beyond me). Now the 2nd one is communicating, but the electrical experts working on the car are having an issue. Once the car starts it's basically going into "lock down" mode and the wheels lock up and it is doing all kinds of crazy things. They are actually trying to get help directly through the manufacturer out of England to determine exactly what the issue is. Now I've never dealt w/any major electrical issue w/any car I've ever owned, but this is starting to sound crazy. Has anyone every heard of this before? I'm ready to go nuts as this car has been out of commission for almost a month now. I've had this car for 1 1/2 years w/no issues and then this. Any input will be helpful.... thank you!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Frankly sounds like the place doing the rebuild have screwed up. I'm still HIGHLY doubtful any rebuild was even needed. Are they experienced with the jag and the ZF 6HP26?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

10-4 on jagv8. It's very likely the trans. shop screwed up. The ZF trans. is practically bullet proof. Just change the trans. fluid at 80,000+ miles and perform a flash of the transmission control module (TCM), then perform a hard re-set of the ECU, then drive her in Normal" mode (not "Sport") for 300 miles so she learns the TCM program. Then drive her hard in "Sport" mode so she learns not to be a ***** (oxymoron?). Let the shop know their not coming off the hook till it's perfect.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

It is entirely possible that you received a faulty new part. Unlikely, but possible. After going through fits with my Range Rover's central locking and drivers door behavior, I relented and let the dealer have at it. They had it for 3 weeks, since they received 3....yes 3....faulty door outstations from the supplier before they received a good one. And it did have to come directly from the other side of the pond.

Confidence inspiring eh?

Who is working on your vehicle? The dealer?

Old 05-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer won't touch electrical stuff so its at the shop that the dealer has recommended for this particular issue. The dealer is the one that diagnosed the trans issue along w/2 independent shops verifying the same diagnosis as well so I'm pretty confident the trans did need something done. I'm just not sure what to think of this electrical issue. I've just never heard of such a thing and it's pretty frustrating to say the least.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow I'm shocked that the dealer wouldn't handle all parts of the repair. Sounds like they are trying to have a 3rd party rebuilt or troubleshoot an electrical part - which is puzzling to say the least since they should just replace it with a working new part.

Alas - sounds like you did need some tranny work and kudos for getting additional opinions - a smart move. Unfortunately looks like the waiting game is your only recourse right now. I'd at least try to whack the dealer for some discounts for your wait though.