S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 STR Purchase: Win Some, Lose more!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts
Default 2003 STR Purchase: Win Some, Lose more!

A few weeks ago I purchased a 2003 STR off of E-bay. I knew the car had problems, Lots of cylinder misfires, 02 sensor, and CAT errors.
Talking with the seller, (Auto broker- car came from an auction), I asked a slew of questions, got answers and hoped that I would luck out with the engine not having any internal problems. WRONG!

The car arrived. It started and was misfiring on 4 cylinders. Thinking that this would be a straight forward electrical fix, I pulled the coil covers. Low and behold, the connector to cylinder 1 coil was disconnected. Started wondering why.
Decided I better check fluids. Pulled the oil dip stick and OMG, water emulsified in the oil. CRAP! I made a rookie error and didn't ask the seller to check if there was water in the oil.
I plugged in coil 1 and started the engine again. Knock knock Knock. Sounds like the rod bearing is spun.

Looks like I have another big project on my hands.

Moral of this story is remember to ask to have ALL the basics looked at before committing to purchase a car.
Overall, just more work, and I paid about $1.5K more than I would have if I knew the engine was bad. The body and interior are in great condition and the car looks to be well maintained overall.

Last edited by Tijoe; 03-12-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-14-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently purchased a 02 s type 4.0 and knew it hss some issues but I did the same thing, I didn't ask enough questions now I'm looking at some big fixes. Starting with abs module and coolant leaking

Old 03-14-2017, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like a nightmare. I hope you didn't pay too much for the car? I bought a 5 series a couple of years ago which turned out to have a cracked cylinder head, that really sucked.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

I pulled the coils and plugs and checked compression. 3 cylinders without compression.
5, 7, and 6. Helps explain the water in the oil. Probably blown head gasket on Bank 1.
Probably an overheated engine.
I am assuming that water in the oil means all new bearings at a minimum.

Anyone else deal with water in the oil?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
I pulled the coils and plugs and checked compression. 3 cylinders without compression.
5, 7, and 6. Helps explain the water in the oil. Probably blown head gasket on Bank 1.
Probably an overheated engine.
I am assuming that water in the oil means all new bearings at a minimum.

Anyone else deal with water in the oil?
Oh man...

I think I know which car you purchased. I follow these cars on ebay. I would open up a case with ebay and wouldn't even bother attempting any fixes. It will get expensive, quickly and is not worth it.

You were duped. Document everything you found. Good Luck.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe
A few weeks ago I purchased a 2003 STR off of E-bay. I knew the car had problems, Lots of cylinder misfires, 02 sensor, and CAT errors.
Talking with the seller, (Auto broker- car came from an auction), I asked a slew of questions, got answers and hoped that I would luck out with the engine not having any internal problems. WRONG!

The car arrived. It started and was misfiring on 4 cylinders. Thinking that this would be a straight forward electrical fix, I pulled the coil covers. Low and behold, the connector to cylinder 1 coil was disconnected. Started wondering why.
Decided I better check fluids. Pulled the oil dip stick and OMG, water emulsified in the oil. CRAP! I made a rookie error and didn't ask the seller to check if there was water in the oil.
I plugged in coil 1 and started the engine again. Knock knock Knock. Sounds like the rod bearing is spun.

Looks like I have another big project on my hands.

Moral of this story is remember to ask to have ALL the basics looked at before committing to purchase a car.
Overall, just more work, and I paid about $1.5K more than I would have if I knew the engine was bad. The body and interior are in great condition and the car looks to be well maintained overall.
Sorry hear that. But I admire your calm ability to keep it all in perspective and chalk it up to experience.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd have to agree with abonano. It's clear from your posts that you know what your doing,but in MHO you shouldn't have to ask an eBay seller if he's trying to screw you. The XJC I got out of state (not an eBay purchase) was a total POS but the price the PO and I FINALLY agreed on was acceptable. This seller you did business with should be spanked hard and banned from eBay, especially if he's a professional dealer.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

+1 . . . to abonano et al.
Item not fit for purpose, nor offered in good faith.
Approach Ebay . . . no aggro, but no crap either.
Refund!
Now!

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 03-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

I agree with the above comments. You should get a good response from Ebay. They don't like their site being used for scams either, & this is very close to being a straight out crime (probably is in some jurisdictions). At the very least the Seller should be blamed, shamed & banned from Ebay. But I think you're a great candidate for a full refund, so don't start spending/wasting money on the car. & if you don't like the responses you get from either Ebay or the Seller, don't get angry, get a Solicitor!

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (03-17-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

You guys are drawing conclusions without all the information. The car was advertised on E-bay and did not sell. A week later, I contacted the seller directly by looking online for the shop. Car had not been relisted on Ebay. The car was still available, so I started asking questions and negotiating. Car was a dealer auction vehicle that he had purchased along with other cars. Seller specifically told me it was it was an auction car and that the engine had problems, he didn't have the time to deal with this car because it was the lowest value resale car of the one he purchased. He did tell me the engine could need a rebuild. He wanted a buyer that could repair the car because it did have declared engine problems. In my wisdom and experience I asked all the complex possibilities to explain the error codes, but overlooked asking some of the simplest tests. (water in the oil.) The seller later explained he was losing money selling it to me at the price I paid. I believe he was snookered more than I was by the previous person that brokered the car through the auction.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

well that makes all the difference. good luck with rebuild and see you on the road. happy motoring!

Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

Looks like you're stuck with the problem then. It happens. I've a 64 S-Type in my shed with a busted Donk, that I should've asked more questions about before parting with my Hard Earned. & I don't think either of us will be getting out of it cheaply. Good Luck!