S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 jaguar s-type 95,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 jaguar s-type 95,000 miles

Let me start from the very begaining from when I bought the car 2 months ago.

I purchase it with 93,000 miles and got it home. Had for 3u day then notice it started to leak oil. Took it back to the dealer where I bought it.

They had it for a week then I picked it up and I notice it had 300 more miles on it and empty tank of gas. They said it was fixed they said they has to replays the oil pan seal.

OK got home parked it and the next day I notice it was leaking again same spot. I waited a day thinking it was just oil on the pan from when it was leaking but it kept leaking.

I called them up and told them its still leaking. They said to bring it back so before I took it back I took it by an oil changing place to see if they can pin point the leak. They said they could not pin point the leak cause its leaking every where on the passanger side and they had inform me that the under body shield or whatever you call it was just hanging there.

That just hit my last nerve so when I got to the dealership I've told them look under neither the car and tell me what you see hanging. The guy did and he seem to be just as mad as I was and he said well I'll take care of this and I'll call you when the car is done.

About 2u weeks later they called me and said your car is done and nomore leaks. I go and pick it up. I ask what was the leak now the guy said the gaskets were leaking bad and had to be replaced and tbey did so. I notice a empty gas tank again and another 300bush miles more on the car so I drove it home and oarked it for couple hours.

Then I look undernieth the car and once again notice a little leak. By this time it was on a friday and then I drove the car around tell saturday. Well it kept leaking so I called the dealership up and I said the car is still leaking and the one guy says bring it in with an attitude. I said I'll be there monday morning since they are closed sundays.

Saturday night I put a cardboard under the car where it was leaking to show them. So monday came and I took the car and cardboard in and the owner ask o why are you back - whats up? I said o so and so didnt tell you my car is still leaking so the owner of the dealership kinda gets mad and said he should have never got into the leaking mess in the first place cause they dont cover that stuff.

I recall when I bought the car I signed a paper stating a 30 warranty and on the warranty it stated for transmission and engine failure I would be responsable to pay 50% of cost.

Well back to the leaking. The onwer called up there mechanic and told him the jaguar he fixed is still leaking. Well the mechanic said he would be right there. Well we wait about 20u mins for the mechanic.

Well he finally arived and I told the mechanic myself I dont kno what you fixed but its still leaking. So I told him to get on the floor so I can show you the around area its leaking. We did and I showed him. Then he turns to the owner of the dealership and says its the transmission plug.

I told you peter the dealer owners name and peter looks at me like he s++t bricks and peter said to the mechanic well fix it. So the mechanic told me to follow him to his shop. Well I did and he told me its a simple fix and he just has to replace the drain plug.

In my head I'm thinking how can you do that cause on my 2005workercomp jaguar s-type 3.0 v6 its a sealed transmission. So I'm like OK. Call me when its done.

Well he had it about couple days and they the owner of the dealership calls and say your car is ready so you can pick it up. So I pick it up the next day.

NOW we get down to the real problem! So I drive off go about a block and I notice my jaguar feels like its slipping and jerking. Well I figured OK well its cold about 48 digrees so it needs to worm up.

Well that hole day it was acting weird and the next day the same and noti e it was idling rough and sounded like it was missing. Then today I was driving down to the store 2julio blocks away and it was idling really rough and it seemed like it had no power. Then smelt like something burnt really bad. Then check enging light flashing and restricted performance came on.

Well I dont what it is and what to do now. Seems to be what ever the mechanic did mess my car up bad. I take it and so I drove my car right home slow cause I was scared and parked it.

My uncle had stated maybe its not getting air so i take the airfilter out. It was dirty, real dirty. So I cleaned it and banged it and put it back in. Started the car and still idles rough. Drove it up and down my street and still same.

Now what? Before all this and besides the leak my car ran and drove smooth and cleaned. Any suggestion or anyone know what Ii should do or what it is? I have check any codes cuase it happend tonight and auto stores are close.

Please help. My first jaguar. 2005 jaguar s-type v6 3.0. Drives like a v8 but its a v6 I think and believe and has 95,000 miles. I only put 91it gas in it.

Last edited by GGG; 12-17-2012 at 02:58 AM. Reason: easier to read
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,816 Likes on 12,176 Posts

Niatsahc,

I've split your post up because it's very hard work reading a single continuous block of text with no periods or capital letters.

Have also moved it from General Tech Help section to S-Type section where members with the same model will have relevant advice.

Graham

Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

I think the usual advice is to take it back but over here if you reach a point where a shop isn't properly fixing something then legal remedies are another option (but painful).

Please put gaps in any follow up posts!

mods: please delete the duplicate...

Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Time to return the old girl and get your money back!

Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with returning it & getting your money back. Obviously this :repair" place does not have a clue. Why they would have to keep it for the length(s) of time they have & it is still not repaired. The dealer bears part of the responsibility. In case of a future argument with dealer, you should document every step you have taken since you purrcahsed the car.
Good luck

Old 12-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ditto. The OP's story soundls like he got hit by "The HoodWink Dealer of the year".

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-17-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 AM

I really cant take it back i financed it so now what do i do and i bought 2the jaguars from there a 1998pref xk8 convet its fine no leaks no probs runs great i dont wanna jinks it but this s-type just every time i get it back something has went wrong.

So does anyone know why it could be running rough and acts like the transmission is bad and the check engine light is on well as the restricted performance could it be the cold weather? Cuase before the mechine had it for the leak in the transmission drain plug it ran fine no problems and no sings of problems. And how can you change the transmission drain plug when its a sealed trans i know the toyota i have is sealed and has no plug?

Could it be that he put the wrong transmission fluid in?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Niatsahc
I really cant take it back i financed it so now what do i do and i bought 2the jaguars from there a 1998pref xk8 convet its fine no leaks no probs runs great i dont wanna jinks it but this s-type just every time i get it back something has went wrong.

So does anyone know why it could be running rough and acts like the transmission is bad and the check engine light is on well as the restricted performance could it be the cold weather? Cuase before the mechine had it for the leak in the transmission drain plug it ran fine no problems and no sings of problems. And how can you change the transmission drain plug when its a sealed trans i know the toyota i have is sealed and has no plug?

Could it be that he put the wrong transmission fluid in?
Taking a stab at this - I suspect fluid was lost when the plug was changed (if it even was) and the lost fluid was not replaced.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM
Received 2,591 Likes on 1,792 Posts

The vehicle needs to go to a competent shop with Technicians familiar with Jaguar repairs.

If the MIL is on, there will be codes stored, which should be read and the necessary remedies taken. With all the oil leaks going on, there are probably shorted coil packs.

Sounds like the gearbox needs to be topped up by someone who is trained on the procedure.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM

How could i check it and what could he have done to make it stop leaking?

Sorry im new to owning a jag i went from owning a dodge 1500 to this so im trying to get as much help as i can

Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 AM

There was oil leak and transmission plug leak and after 2 months the leaks are fixed but now the check ingine light is on and the restricted performance is on and my car feels like its missing and idling rough is it safe to drive to get the codes read or?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Whats the mil? Sorry im new to owning a jag i should have listen to everyone that said dont buy a jag but my thought was in 2005office they fixed all the problems

Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM

And what could be the burnt smell? Could it be when they changed the gascet that they didnt bolt it tite and its getting to much air

Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 AM

The MIL is the Malfunction Indicator Light, or as some call it, the check-engine light. The MIL is common to all vehicles manufactured from the mid 1990s on, not just Jaguar.

A Technician must plug the vehicle into a diagnostic tool to read the codes stored in the system memory. Once the codes are known, corrective action can be taken.

From the description you provide, it sounds like you have one or more shorted coil packs or non-firing spark plugs.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 PM

A 'burnt smell' on a 3.0 litre S-Type is usually an indication of leaking cam/valve cover gaskets.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
A 'burnt smell' on a 3.0 litre S-Type is usually an indication of leaking cam/valve cover gaskets.
Or a leaking IMT O-ring onto the exhaust manifold heatshield.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Niatsahc
Whats the mil? Sorry im new to owning a jag i should have listen to everyone that said dont buy a jag but my thought was in 2005office they fixed all the problems
Buying a used car from an incompetent and/or unscrupulous dealer almost always ends badly irrespective of which brand it is. Even Dodge. Your problems with the car are pretty minor, it's the dealer that I'd worry about.

BTW- is it possible on Ipatches or smarrtfownes (I know nothing about them) to proof read a message before it's sent?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Last night as i was driving to the store and all this had happend the burnt smell came along with this mess and thats what the replace was the valve cover gascets so could it be they knocked spark wires lose? And is coils easy to fix? And why would this all happend when i got it back rigjt when i drove it off the mechanics lot

Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 PM

So should i drive the car this way to the auto part store to have them read the codes is it safe? Would it ruined the car more?

Im 21to never have owned an high end car and always wanted a newer s-type so i got one and then turned right around and bought a xk8 to did i make a mistake with buying that car to or?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM

I mean the mechanic seemed to know what he was doing cuase he works on just high end cars and it seems to be everytime i get it back from one problem another one accurs and its always the same day i get it back

Quick Reply: 2005 jaguar s-type 95,000 miles