S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 2000 S-Type misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 4.0 2000 S-Type misfire

Hi everyone. I'm a new member here and I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on my problem.
I recently purchase this S-type with a bad motor. I ordered a totally rebuilt motor and made the swap. Everything was great for the first 800 miles, but then a P0306 DTC code showed up. All the documents refer to bank A (1,3,5,7) and bank B (2,4,6,8). I first moved the coil to a different location on the B bank and I moved the plug to another alternate location on the B bank. I wanted to see the problem move. The problem moved...... to the A bank and hasn't returned to the B bank. I now get a P0307 and that hasn't changed. I approached this the same way as I had the first time in an attempt to get the problem to move. It hasn't moved off the 4A location. Now with that said. The DTC says cylinder 7 misfire. I interpret that as a 4A misfire according to what I know about engines and the documents I have. I went on the check compression, OK. New motor ,,,whew. I swapped the injector with a working location on bank A and the problem came back on 4A. This problem doesn't appear mechanical. I began to check wires. When I put in the new motor I had to replace all the injector connectors due to damages clips. As I said, this ran fine for 800 miles. I began to check the color codes on the wires to 4A and according to the documents I have. I found the ground wire for 4A on 3A injector and the ground wire from 3A on 4A. The car ran for 15 years with it crossed, and it came from Jag that way on the factory harness, so now what. I corrected the crossed wires and started the car. No code, at least not at first. Drove the car to a grad party. The P0307 code appeared once again and eventually the car went into limp mode. The only thing I haven't done is remove the air bock to get to the firewall plugs. Then do a systematic test on all those wires and trace them back in an attempt to find a break or short. Now unfortunately. the info I purchased on CD doesn't go into any info on the control modules. It doesn't even bother to identify the location of these devices. It would either be the PCM or the ECM. For all I know, they are one in the same. I'm using an Innova Equis 3140 for my codes. I only get the one code and no others. I've gone back and re-soldered the wires where I attached the new plugs. I can't help but wonder if it would be better to just change out that section of the engine harness. Any ideas out there.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

P0307 (AJ28 engine) is the third cylinder from the front on the left side.
Cyl 1 to 4 are bank 1 (right side)
Cyl 5 to 8 are bank 2 (left side)

These numbers are for the 4.0 AJ28 engine

The numbering changed for the 2002.5 MY engines onward.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
Axle (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 04:51 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Axle
Hi everyone. I'm a new member here and I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on my problem. .........
Welcome to the forum Axle,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. This is the place to post tech questions about your model.

Graham

Axle (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Axle
Hi everyone. I'm a new member here and I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on my problem.
I recently purchase this S-type with a bad motor. I ordered a totally rebuilt motor and made the swap. Everything was great for the first 800 miles, but then a P0306 DTC code showed up. All the documents refer to bank A (1,3,5,7) and bank B (2,4,6,8). I first moved the coil to a different location on the B bank and I moved the plug to another alternate location on the B bank. I wanted to see the problem move. The problem moved...... to the A bank and hasn't returned to the B bank. I now get a P0307 and that hasn't changed. I approached this the same way as I had the first time in an attempt to get the problem to move. It hasn't moved off the 4A location. Now with that said. The DTC says cylinder 7 misfire. I interpret that as a 4A misfire according to what I know about engines and the documents I have. I went on the check compression, OK. New motor ,,,whew. I swapped the injector with a working location on bank A and the problem came back on 4A. This problem doesn't appear mechanical. I began to check wires. When I put in the new motor I had to replace all the injector connectors due to damages clips. As I said, this ran fine for 800 miles. I began to check the color codes on the wires to 4A and according to the documents I have. I found the ground wire for 4A on 3A injector and the ground wire from 3A on 4A. The car ran for 15 years with it crossed, and it came from Jag that way on the factory harness, so now what. I corrected the crossed wires and started the car. No code, at least not at first. Drove the car to a grad party. The P0307 code appeared once again and eventually the car went into limp mode. The only thing I haven't done is remove the air bock to get to the firewall plugs. Then do a systematic test on all those wires and trace them back in an attempt to find a break or short. Now unfortunately. the info I purchased on CD doesn't go into any info on the control modules. It doesn't even bother to identify the location of these devices. It would either be the PCM or the ECM. For all I know, they are one in the same. I'm using an Innova Equis 3140 for my codes. I only get the one code and no others. I've gone back and re-soldered the wires where I attached the new plugs. I can't help but wonder if it would be better to just change out that section of the engine harness. Any ideas out there.
Please....paragraphs....

Axle (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 09:43 PM

Bob:
That little bit of info just helped me find the problem. I switched the coil from 7 to 8 and the problem moved to 8, now that I know which cylinder is 8. When the error first came up on 6, I moved the coil and the spark plug to see if the problem moved. It did move. But I thought 7 was 6. Now it moved from 6 to 7. But because I thought 7 was on the A bank. It never made any sense. Anyway, thanks for that little bit of info that saved my butt from what was becoming a perpetual headache.
I don't give up easily, but I can see why this guy let me have this car so cheap.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:48 PM

Bob:
I wanted to thank you again for you help. Once I got my head on straight as to where everything is. It was easy to locate the bad coil. So I just went ahead and ordered a complete set of new coils for this new engine. I corrected the oil leak on the timing chain cover and we're back on the road. Now it runs like a beast. It's my wife's car and she just loves the way it runs now. Now it's time to move on to the XJ6 and solve it's problem. I started another thread on that and I have a pretty good idea where to start.
Thanks again.