S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning Issues - Where to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Update:

Picked up the S-Type about 45 minutes ago. The new compressor seems to have done the trick. Plenty of arctic air once again at all rpms on a consistent basis. The receiver/dryer was not swapped out because it is integrated into the condensor (which was replaced last August as part of the accident repairs). That saved me some money. Final cost was $962. They took great care of the car and even sent a driver out to pick me up when the car was ready. Temperatures this weekend are headed for the low-to-mid 90s so the S-Type's renovated A/C system should be tested thoroughly. Only problem now is my wife has been driving her Lexus SUV full-time for the past couple of weeks and she's suddenly reluctant to get back in the Jaguar for most of her driving requirements. We'll see....

Old 06-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Update:

Picked up the S-Type about 45 minutes ago. The new compressor seems to have done the trick. Plenty of arctic air once again at all rpms on a consistent basis. The receiver/dryer was not swapped out because it is integrated into the condensor (which was replaced last August as part of the accident repairs). That saved me some money. Final cost was $962. They took great care of the car and even sent a driver out to pick me up when the car was ready. Temperatures this weekend are headed for the low-to-mid 90s so the S-Type's renovated A/C system should be tested thoroughly. Only problem now is my wife has been driving her Lexus SUV full-time for the past couple of weeks and she's suddenly reluctant to get back in the Jaguar for most of her driving requirements. We'll see....
That's not as bad as I thought, interestingly, all the parts sources list it as a separate part, unless you're saying that since the condenser was out, it had already been replaced. Glad to hear about the good service.

Did you bring them the belly pan? Or are you going to bolt that on?

Take the wife out to dinner or something in the S this weekend, blast the A/C. Maybe it'll restore her faith in the car.

George

Old 06-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

I removed the belly pan myself, and then put it back on upon bringing the car home after the job was done. Too many different kinds of bolts, nuts, and screws holding that thing on and I don't trust just anybody to install it properly or keep from losing some of the hardware. Maybe that's not fair to the better techs, but you never know. Techs can get in a hurry and not install the belly pan using every single piece of hardware....

Before putting the belly pan back on, I listened to the new compressor with my stethoscope. Almost silent compared to the original one yesterday. That's good news....

Another interesting note - while the tech was in the process of installing the new compressor, he noticed that one of the three 18mm bolts that hold the steering rack in place had backed off a bit (the one closest to the compressor). It was loose enough for him to be able to turn it by hand. So he cranked it down and checked the other two to ensure that they were still tight (they were). No extra charge for this, and a nice way to build goodwill. So the next time you guys have your belly pan off for an oil change, check those steering rack bolts....

Last edited by Jon89; 06-04-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry A/C compressor and Evaporator costs

I think I have finally reached my limit on how much more money I am going to spend on a 2005 S type 4.2 with only 50K miles! I was just told it will cost me $4,300.00 to repair a shot A/C compressor and leaking Evaporator! I can somewhat justify the labor cost involved in tearing out the dash but I am mad as hell that a compressor should cost $1,000.00 and an evaporator $800.00. On line parts are 1/3 the cost but Jaguar will not let me buy my own parts.

Just 5 months earlier I spent $3,000 to replace a throttle body and a gas tank O ring.

1 year earlier, I spent $1,500 to replace the climate module which got fried when my thermostat failed and water backed up into the climate control module.

Was also told that the rear shock absorbers are leaking and the cost for tha will be around $800. Give me a break Jaguar. This is rediculous for a car that only has 50,000 miles and I treat it like a baby.

I can not recommend this car to anyone and will be selling it shortly. By the way, it's now worth about 13,000 to 16,000 and I originally paid $55,000!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Once your car is out of warranty, you have many choices other than the dealership for service. Perhaps in Hawaii, your choices are not as varied as those of us who live on the mainland. But surely you have independent shops there. Find one that's reasonable and you'll cut your repair costs in half....

I completely understand your frustration. If I could not handle the vast majority of routine maintenance and service requirements myself, I would not have purchased our S-Type. It is said a number of times a day here on this forum that D-I-Y (along with a reasonably-priced indy shop for the issues that are beyond our skills) is the only way to approach these cars. So buyer beware, and best of luck to you in your efforts to find something more affordable to drive....

The following users liked this post:
HIJaged (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,478 Likes on 7,450 Posts

Another good reason for aftermarket extended warranties..

HIJaged (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HIJaged
I think I have finally reached my limit on how much more money I am going to spend on a 2005 S type 4.2 with only 50K miles! I was just told it will cost me $4,300.00 to repair a shot A/C compressor and leaking Evaporator! I can somewhat justify the labor cost involved in tearing out the dash but I am mad as hell that a compressor should cost $1,000.00 and an evaporator $800.00. On line parts are 1/3 the cost but Jaguar will not let me buy my own parts.

Just 5 months earlier I spent $3,000 to replace a throttle body and a gas tank O ring.

1 year earlier, I spent $1,500 to replace the climate module which got fried when my thermostat failed and water backed up into the climate control module.

Was also told that the rear shock absorbers are leaking and the cost for tha will be around $800. Give me a break Jaguar. This is rediculous for a car that only has 50,000 miles and I treat it like a baby.

I can not recommend this car to anyone and will be selling it shortly. By the way, it's now worth about 13,000 to 16,000 and I originally paid $55,000!
These prices are absurd. Find a good independent. Working on a Jaguar Isn't black magic... It's just a car like any other. I'd say DIY, but doesn't seem like you are too interested in that route.

The Climate control module failure is from a DCCV failure, not a thermostat failure. Water will not / cannot enter the CCM.

We can walk you through any of these repairs.

Take care,

George

HIJaged (02-24-2011)
Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

How in the heck did water fry the climate control module... The two are not connected.. NOW, if in fact the DCCV failed, and shorted the climate control module..that is common..And the module could have been fixed by someone proficient in soldering (electronics repair shop?) for probably less than $100...

Umm, yours has less miles than mine and is a V8..But trade in on a 05 in the continental US is hovering more in the $10,000 range..So, it may be better for you to find a good independent shop and just keep it.

To be honest the things you listed are not that major to repair...Just major $$$ at the dealership you are using...Look around and you may end up with a better relationship with the Jag...

HIJaged (02-24-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you can fix it yourself for less than a fraction of that cost. And its pretty simple and I found plenty of the members will help you.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Those prices are outrageous, and you're being taken advantage of imo. I don't understand why you are taking your car to Jaguar if the car is no longer under warranty. I'm sure there are plenty of competent mechanics that can work for less than half of what the dealer wants plus you'll save a tremendous amount of money on parts. I had my throttle body removed, rebuilt and reinstalled for about $400, and it has a lifetime warranty to boot. The climate control module can also be rebuilt for less than $200!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUA...item20b0f7d8e2

Seems to me your frustration should be with your local dealer and not so much with the car. It is 6 years old now and almost any vehicle will have some issues.

HIJaged (02-27-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It set me on fire when I see the shops treat you like that. It is all about the money. Find a good independent shop!

We should make a list of the shops that do that to good and hard working customers.

HIJaged (02-27-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default similar a/c issues - trying to diagnose...

Originally Posted by androulakis
These prices are absurd. Find a good independent. Working on a Jaguar Isn't black magic... It's just a car like any other. I'd say DIY, but doesn't seem like you are too interested in that route.

The Climate control module failure is from a DCCV failure, not a thermostat failure. Water will not / cannot enter the CCM.

We can walk you through any of these repairs.

Take care,

George
i'm having similar problems with my 2003 4.2L s-type, but i'm not sure if the issue is with a failing compressor or bad dccv. my a/c blows hot air for about 10-12 minutes then kicks in ice cold regardless of rpm or road speed. however, this doesn't last long and eventually begins blowing hot air again - never returning to cold.

the coolant level is fine (according to a gauge that came with a can of r134a. it seems to be the same from all vents which causes me to doubt the dccv. the problem seems to have gotten worse over the last few weeks. i'm inclined to identify the compressor as the likely culprit, but is there a good way to diagnose this problem?

also, if i decide to go the DIY route, where are the compressor and dccv located? are they difficult to get to and replace?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lylon
i'm having similar problems with my 2003 4.2L s-type, but i'm not sure if the issue is with a failing compressor or bad dccv. my a/c blows hot air for about 10-12 minutes then kicks in ice cold regardless of rpm or road speed. however, this doesn't last long and eventually begins blowing hot air again - never returning to cold.

the coolant level is fine (according to a gauge that came with a can of r134a. it seems to be the same from all vents which causes me to doubt the dccv. the problem seems to have gotten worse over the last few weeks. i'm inclined to identify the compressor as the likely culprit, but is there a good way to diagnose this problem?

also, if i decide to go the DIY route, where are the compressor and dccv located? are they difficult to get to and replace?
Have a real set of gauges put on it and look.
I bet the high side pressure is spiking, and its shutting down the system due to pressure, probably due to a refigerant overcharge.

Compressor and DCCV are easy. Search for a thread by 01Stype30 for the DCCV that led to a compressor failure.

Take care,

George

Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Have a real set of gauges put on it and look.
I bet the high side pressure is spiking, and its shutting down the system due to pressure, probably due to a refigerant overcharge.

Compressor and DCCV are easy. Search for a thread by 01Stype30 for the DCCV that led to a compressor failure.

Take care,

George
thanks, george - i found the 01Stype30 thread. even if i don't repair it myself (not sure i'm 100% confident in that department), i'd like to have a good idea of what repair is needed so i don't get suckered by an independent shop into some unnecessary and $$$ repairs. i appreciate the guidance...

-beau

Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 PM

So, I'm having the same exact problem with the A/c unit --- with it not cooling the car down. say it is low fluid for the A/C, how do you refill it?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a new air condition compressor for my 2004 S type Jag. Can I replace it with a Ford Tarsus air condition compressor?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Maybe. What is the model of this compressor?
Don't forget to post your intro, the new members area is the place to do it.