Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag fault code 36

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag fault code 36

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and to jaguars, unfortunatly the one I have has a few problems but I still love her!

Anyway one of these problems is airbag fault code 36 does anybody know what this refers to? before I get shot down Ive searched and searched for an answer but to no avail, ive disconnected cleaned and reconnected the airbag plugs under both seats and the steering coloumn but still that little light keeps on a flashing!!
Ive seen one post that suggests it may be due to poor battery output but having tested my battery it all seems fine?

Anyone got a list with these codes on?
Thanks
Tony

Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Could be a few different things:

1) I have read that it could be a chaffed wire or bad connection. I would recommend rechecking the connections under the seat again, making sure there are no bare spots and that the wire to connectors are well fastened.

2) There has been talk about the "spiral cassette" located behind steering wheel going bad, I have only read that twice in over a year and half membership here. Try a google search "spiral cassette"

Good Luck and please report back your findings.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

SWISSTONY:
I see you have done a bit of work and also posted on the UK Jaguar site. I don't have a great answer but I think you are very close with the wiring under the driver seat. Here is a detailed discussion about a 2004 Ford Escape. Now of course Jaguar was owned by Ford during this time and it "may" be of some help. I would check the connector under the driver’s seat again but use a meter to see if the connection has high resistance or not. Note that you may need to get the codes read at a deeper level which will require a trip to the dealer.

When a 2001 - 2004 Ford Escape air bag light flashes code 36, one of four problems could exist in the circuit from the Restraints Control Module (RCM) to the left side air bag (the side air bag in the seat, not the main air bag in the steering wheel):

1. DTC B1992 - Left side air bag circuit short to battery or ignition
2. DTC B1993 - Left side air bag circuit short to ground
3. DTC B1994 - Left side air bag circuit resistance high
4. DTC B1995 - Left side air bag circuit resistance low
In order to determine which of the four Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) exist, you will probably have to have the codes scanned at a repair shop. Most trouble code scanners available to the DIY mechanic only scan for powertrain codes.
It is likely that you have code B1994 (left side air bag circuit high resistance) since Ford has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this code. The same service bulletin applies to code B1998 (same problem, right side air bag). The TSB states that this problem can be caused by a variation in electrical continuity at the electrical connector to the side air bag. The connector is located under the seat. Ford makes a replacement body harness pigtail connector (Ford part number 1L8Z-14A411-A) to fix this problem.
I had the same air bag trouble code 36 flashing intermittently on my 2004 Ford Escape which I bought used. In my case, I discovered that a Ford dealer had already replaced the pigtail connectors on both the left and right side air bags. Using my multimeter, I found high resistance in one of the pigtail splices that was made by the repair shop. They had just twisted the wires together and then sealed the connection with heat shrink tubing. I fixed it by making a solder splice and sealing the splice with heat shrink tubing.
You can identify the replacement body harness pigtail connectors because the wire color code is a bit different than the original. The replacement pigtail connectors have one WHT/LT BLU wire and one WHT/YEL wire (same replacement pigtail connector for both left and right). The original wire colors are:
Left - RED and WHT/LT BLU Right - BRN/YEL and WHT/YEL The side air bag connectors are located under the seat (driver or passenger). The wiring from either of these connectors goes directly to the RCM which is located under the center of the dash. The RCM is bolted to the transmission tunnel. There are two electrical connectors on the module. The side air bag wires are located in the smaller connector and can be identified by color code as described above. When you remove the electrical connector from the RCM, each pair of wires going to the side air bags are shorted together in the connector (safety feature to prevent accidental deployment of the side air bags). With the RCM connector removed, you can unplug the connector under the seat and place your ohmmeter across the two terminals located in the body harness side. There should be less than 1 ohm resistance. In my case, I found anywhere from about 0.5 ohms to around 65 ohms as I moved the wires around. If all Ford dealers make the repair by just twisting the wires of the replacement pigtail connector together, I would imagine that there are a lot of folks out there experiencing this same problem intermittently.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbird6:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-23-2016), PaleRider (04-30-2013)
Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks fellas I appreciate the help and thankyou tbird6 for the time it must have taken you to write that post!

I will print it off and go out tommorow with renewed vigor armed with my multi meter!

Thanks again ill keep you posted.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I am glad that it's some help to you.

Please do post back!! This is not a commonly reported error and hopefully it will stay that way!!

Note: If it is a clock spring you should have additional symptoms like cruise control/horn/radio buttons working strange or not working. You did not mention this so I ruled out the clock spring.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-23-2016)
Old 01-04-2011, 03:55 PM

I joined just to say thank you to all the members of this forum for sharing their experience and knowledge.

I had the same problem, airbag fault code 36, and after moving my seat up and forward and playing with the connections below, it went away! That was the last thing I had to take care of before putting the Jag up for sale. It was a sweet ride, I'll miss it. Thank you all again.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Same deal here - B1994 - moved seat up, jiggled the connections and no more Airbag lamp flashing "36" on the dashboard.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the floor matt was binding up under the front portion of the drivers seat against the wiring and relays. In the end I just cut off the back portion of the matt, reset all the connections and never had the problem again.

This advice is worth exactly what ya paid for it...

Old 10-31-2014, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the great tip!!

Sharing my experience on my 2001 Jag S-type code 36.
Airbag light would flash once then 3 flashes, pause, 6 flashes and repeat three more times (code 36). Then airbag light would stay lit on solid. Checked wires & connectors at bottom of driver's seat and found a wire was snapped (Maybe I vacuumed the car & accidentally cut the wire). I re-connected the wire and issue with airbag light went away.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just so I am clear the code can go away without being reset?

Old 08-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

My airbag light goes on when driving every once in a while. I think its's a minor problem with the wiring or connectors under the passenger seat. It usually stays off after I move the sweat forwards or backwards depending. I don't think that it's a safety problem. As long as the airbag light goes on for 6 seconds or so when you start the car, it should be OK, maybe.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

If I'm not mistaken the air bag checks are done at 1st key on.

Personally when I work on airbags I disconnect battery and touch terminals together. (I'm not 100% sure that discharges the power to them)

Old 12-07-2018, 08:49 AM

is there a jag scanner that you can get without going to the dealership? I have tried jiggling the wires and securing the connections and this code just wont go away.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:18 AM

I went and took a closer look under the seat and I found a broken wire. Could this be the cause of my airbag code 36 problem?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by mikchek
I went and took a closer look under the seat and I found a broken wire. Could this be the cause of my airbag code 36 problem?

Yes

Old 12-09-2018, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by abonano
Yes
any idea how I can find where this goes?

Old 12-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

One idea would be compare the wire colours with those in the workshop manual / Electrical Guide which detail wire colours & pin numbers etc in the connectors.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
One idea would be compare the wire colours with those in the workshop manual / Electrical Guide which detail wire colours & pin numbers etc in the connectors.
Thanks JagV8

I have to get one of those...I had downloaded a digital one but it doesn't work on mac

Old 12-10-2018, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

PDF elec guide should be OK I'd have hoped!!

E.g. from JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource but it's on this site too.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

The yellow socket is the one for the airbag, so i'd say that's definitely the cause of your code
The two wires eventually end up at the SRS module which is located behind the cd player on top of the transmission tunnel (at least that's were it is on the X350)
As some has said Ignition off, disconnect the battery and wait for 2-3 mins for any charge in the bags to discharge before going any where near the wiring. Then it looks like you need to just splice/solder in a repair.
Probably will need to unbolt the seat and tip forward or back to get the connector out and give yourself room to repair the broken wire.

Quick Reply: Airbag fault code 36