S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Leveling Headlights Reset with Android App?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Auto Leveling Headlights Reset with Android App?

I had the issue with the drooping headlights on my STR a while back and used Brutal's DIY fix with the screws to lift their height. I never really thought about my headlights never adjusting when I turned them on at night. I thought maybe the screws used to fix the drooping kept them from adjusting.

What occured last night that I am wondering about is I used an android application called "Car Gauge Pro" to scan the car and to see if it had any issues beyond what the Torque app has. I connected to the car with an elm327 bluetooth adapter and clear all faults using the ford protocol within the application (had an airbag fault showing up every few days and was trying to clear it). After I cleared the faults I noticed it said something about an unsuccessful try at clearing a handful of faults, one being my right headlight. After this I noticed my light on the right side was drooping this morning when I started the car and I hadn't adjusted the screw in it. I popped the hood and loosened the screws in the headlight to almost all the way out. I then started the car and turned on the lights and they did a self adjust (surprised me cause I had never seen this before). They were still too low so I tightened the screws again while the lights were on and turned them off again. When I turned them on perfection. Perfect height and still tight against the screws. Not sure how such a cheap app fixed this or if it did... I do remember reading in some threads about the headlights needed to be reset/adjusted if they both were removed from the car (thinking the previous owner had them taken off at some point). Any input from others who have done the brutal fix and used software to adjust their lights...

The following 2 users liked this post by ednedwards:
Cream (07-28-2019), JimC64 (11-11-2014)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ednedwards, Hi - I'm trying to connect Car Gauge Pro through the same interface as you (ELM327) to my Jaguar X-Type. I tried the Ford option assuming that a Ford built car based on the Mondeo Mk3 would be compatible. I am encouraged by your success in connecting to your car. Did you have any problems getting it to recognise the car? If so what did you do to correct it please?

I know it's a long time since you did this but I thought it worth asking. Thanks

Old 07-28-2019, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

5yr old thread, different car. Try the correct forum.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:48 AM

I appreciate that the thread is old hence my comment in my post. I have a self-levelling headlamp problem and the X and S types share a common level control module. On top of all that threads on any forum dealing with this problem and specifically with practical home usable scanners or OBD apps that delve that deep into systems are very thin on the ground.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:58 PM

The way I reset my lights was/is using car gauge pro. Open the app on your mobile device with the bluetooth module plugged in and bluetooth enabled on your phone. Click connect and then it should prompt the bluetooth device. Once connected it'll forward to the type of car. Click Ford and then clear faults. I have had one elm device not work so try another elm327. They're cheap and I've used cheap ones that have worked. My front end of my STR is off, but I'll try to take a video or screenshots of the process in a few days once i get everything buttoned up. The best is buy a mongoose clone and the jlr software.. love mine and saved me bunches of money..

Old 07-30-2019, 01:26 AM

Thank you for your most informative reply and the kind offer of a guide to setting the headlights, ednedwards, The elm327 works with Torque Lite (downloaded to check the adapter is working at all), but it times out on Car Gauge Pro. Somewhere else I read that a setting called ATST in the device options has to be set to 15 for it to wait long enough for a connection. I have yet to dig deeply into options to find this setting. Your suggestion of trying a different adapter is a good one though, and the Playstore page suggests an STN adapter as a compatible alternative so I'll try that. I am always happy to save money instead of paying a workshop, especially when I am unsure of the competence of garage workshops anyway.

Edited: Later. After reading your comments regarding elm327 adapters performance being variable, I did some research and found that up to 80% of the Chinese clones of the 'real' elm327 device are limited in their abilities. I have ordered a Scantool OBDScan MX adapter which is a genuine full-function adapter. I should now be able to access my car's ECU and, therfore, all of the functions of the app. Updates to follow!

Last edited by motco; 07-30-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by motco
Thank you for your most informative reply and the kind offer of a guide to setting the headlights, ednedwards, The elm327 works with Torque Lite (downloaded to check the adapter is working at all), but it times out on Car Gauge Pro. Somewhere else I read that a setting called ATST in the device options has to be set to 15 for it to wait long enough for a connection. I have yet to dig deeply into options to find this setting. Your suggestion of trying a different adapter is a good one though, and the Playstore page suggests an STN adapter as a compatible alternative so I'll try that. I am always happy to save money instead of paying a workshop, especially when I am unsure of the competence of garage workshops anyway.

Edited: Later. After reading your comments regarding elm327 adapters performance being variable, I did some research and found that up to 80% of the Chinese clones of the 'real' elm327 device are limited in their abilities. I have ordered a Scantool OBDScan MX adapter which is a genuine full-function adapter. I should now be able to access my car's ECU and, therfore, all of the functions of the app. Updates to follow!
I've used the obdscan lx (cheaper version) with no issues. Actually that is currently on my other vehicle. The length of the obdscan adapter is a little annoying due to the location of the obd2 port on the s type. I hadn't played with the atst value, mine is set on the default 3a. Is the auto leveling module interchangeable between the s type and x type?

Old 07-30-2019, 08:17 AM

I believe the modules are one and the same. I have a used one removed from a S Type so I'll know soon! The OBD2 socket on the X-Type is hard against the side of the footwell and the length should be no problem. I shan't leave it in place anyway as I have a small cheap Oriental adapter than works with Torque Pro and gives day-to-day read outs in motion. I opted for the MX rather than the LX simply because the extra money is not too much and I didn't want a rubbish bin overflowing with cheap, useless modules!

I removed the connectors from both the levelling module and the rear suspension height sensor and tested the continuity and standing voltage according to a Jaguar Cars diagnostic flow-chart I was sent by a UK forum member. He says that the cable has a history of going open circuit on his X Type, so it seemed a good idea to test that first. There should have been 5Vdc on one pin but none was found. I then suspected the module as I had tested the cable and found it undamaged from module to sensor. I'll report back as soon as the OBDScan device arrives. What we amateur fixers did before the Internet I really don't know. I suppose cars were much simpler then and workshop manuals readily available.

As an aside I had an old work colleague, Dennis Hayford, who was in UK in the 1970s and now lives in Lake Wylie SC.Before he retired he was a senior executive at Polymers Center in Charlotte for many years. Small world eh?