S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Availability of technical specs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Availability of technical specs

I need to rebuild the rear suspension of my S-Type. It is 2005, 4.2 V8 and has a VDP badge on the back. The last of these seems to indicate that it is equipped with a sport suspension package but different VIN decoders have some different opinions on this. However, my real problem is that the rear suspension decodes to "independent" which is no help at all. Yes I knew that but at the parts level there are two variants, one with "electronic" suspension, the other without. Is there any way of identifying the rear suspension short of taking it out and examining it - does it have unexplained electrical connections etc.

Please help

Thank you

Old 09-05-2017, 02:06 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Sport and 'electronic' shocks are two different things. See if the front shocks are connected electrically.

Your sig says you have a 2004 3.0L but the text says 2005 4.2L (?)

Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 AM

Is this a hint that all 4 shocks should be the same, that is all sport or all "electronic" or all bog standard? I'll go look when I've finished my breakfast.

As for my "sig", I assume you're talking about my "profile". Yes I've checked it and it is well out of date, my actual current list should be the 2005, V8 S-Type and my XJS but I can find no way to update my profile.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofc

As for my "sig", I assume you're talking about my "profile". Yes I've checked it and it is well out of date, my actual current list should be the 2005, V8 S-Type and my XJS but I can find no way to update my profile.
Courtesy of JagV8's signature line:
"STR 2004. Acronyms: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-jaguar-78910/
If you would like the most accurate assistance, it is very helpful to place your vehicle information into your signature line, just look in your member control panel to set it up. Info like year, model, engine size, and other details like mileage can only aid in receiving more replies with the correct information. (thanks, h20boy!)"

Old 09-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Default Availability of technical specs

Thank you "JagV8's signature line". Sadly, when I click the link that you gave me I get the following message: "Invalid Forum specified".

Old 09-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

You need to click "User CP" on the black line at the top of the page then click on "Edit Signature" under the "Settings & Options" heading.
Your changes will show up with your next post after you edit the entry.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Hopefully this works:

Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

THanks for updating your signature line, John. I'm sure the OP will find the acronyms useful at some point. My mistake in not omitting that link when I copied your signature line, initially. I was only trying to direct him to the part where you (via h20boy) explain how to add car details to the signature line.

Hopefully Norri's precise instructions will help him sort it.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I haven't changed it

Something must have gone wrong with your copy/paste.

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 AM

I didn't do a copy and paste. I chose the simpler method of clicking on the link included in your post.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Let me rephrase my original question.

How do I find out which rear suspension I have so that I can acquire the correct replacements?

For the record, the VIN is SAJWA01U75HN25656 as I said in my original posting, various VIN decoders give different but unhelpful results.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:51 AM

Did you have peek at the front shocks?

The following users liked this post:
Geofc (09-11-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Did you have peek at the front shocks?
Is this a hint that all 4 shocks should be the same, that is all sport or all "electronic" or all bog standard? I'll go look when I've finished my breakfast.
Yes, they will be one or the other. I don't know how you tell sport shocks from standard but the discs should be bigger on the sport.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,234 Likes on 1,764 Posts

If you going to do repair work at the level you are asking about please get the factory shop manual. It has all that you are looking for.

It's called the JTIS and is free on this forum. Look at the top of the forum in the stickies for "JTIS". I also would get the free JEPC which is the factory parts manual and has exploded parts diagrams which are NOT in the JTIS.

The S Type suspensions have very minor differences outside of the CATS setup. CATS are the electronic struts discussed above. They are easy to identify because you will have an electrical plug you can see on top of the strut in the engine compartment. People have replaced the expensive CATS units with standard non-electrical struts if you are in a bind for money. Not sure how that works for ride and handling?

Does your car have these connectors?

Old 09-10-2017, 11:43 AM

Many thanks. Nice to have a message about my problem instead of complaining about my details.

But - please - What are stickies and where do I find them? In other words how do I navigate through this site to find JTIS? By the way, what do you understand by "the top of the forum".

I have had this problem for around 10 years now so it's time to air it. In this post I have learned what a "sig" is although it is unhelpful jargon if you haven't had the "where to find it" course. Is there any such course? I'd find life with Jag a whole lot easier if there was a simpler way to find things than by accident.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:00 PM

Have you looked under the hood yet at the front shocks?

Old 09-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,234 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Sorry I was not clear.

The stickies are topics that are always at the top of the forum. So when you look the top 6 or so will always be there because they are considered to be of general interest and are common questions.

They always start with the word "Sticky".
One has JTIS in the title.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts
Smile

Many thanks. Nice to have a message about my problem instead of complaining about my details.

But - please - What are stickies and where do I find them? In other words how do I navigate through this site to find JTIS? By the way, what do you understand by "the top of the forum".

I have had this problem for around 10 years now so it's time to air it. In this post I have learned what a "sig" is although it is unhelpful jargon if you haven't had the "where to find it" course. Is there any such course? I'd find life with Jag a whole lot easier if there was a simpler way to find things than by accident.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

You may find it easier, looking through Gus,s web site jagrepair, The S type manual is down loadable in PDF. the 7th entry up from bottom of the link above.

We all have to start some where.

Have a Nice Day.

Thanks again Gus.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:20 PM

Have you checked those front shocks yet, or the diameter of your discs?
Perhaps if you had posted in the new members section when you joined you would have been advised how to navigate the forum.
Anyway what exactly do you want to know about your rear suspension?
IIRC they are all the same apart from the shocks.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Thanks Mikey - I finally got round to reviewing my front shocks which are free of any wiring. Looks like I need the non-electronic sport struts.

Now for question 2. I observe that the forum is showing a nice line in Motorcraft struts. Sadly the local dealer won't guess which shocks I need without a Ford part number. Do you or does anyone know where to find this info? What is the point of displaying the ad on the forum if you can't use it to buy the struts?