Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lights Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Lights Issue

Hi,

I have a 2007 Jaguar S Type R and recently a strange issue has popped up. About a month ago, my right tail light went out and I had to replace it. Since then, however, another problem occurred where if my headlights/taillights were on (as if it was nighttime), my right brake light would continuously stay lit while my left taillight would be illuminated at the normal level (when I am not braking). Also, when all of the lights are turned off (as if it was daytime), my right brake light would simply not work. There are no warnings that appear on the dashboard. This issue has greatly confused me and I would like to find a solution as quickly as possible. Do any of you have any idea what is causing it and how it can be fixed? Thanks.

Last edited by DVader; 04-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Maybe the wrong bulb (they're unusual) or put in wrongly. Both have been done

Old 04-16-2017, 01:00 PM

I got the bulb from a Jaguar dealer, and they installed it as well (I know it's a simple job, but they did not charge any labor fees so I just let them do it). I will check to see if it was put in incorrectly, but what exactly should I look for? Isn't it just a simple screw-in?

Last edited by DVader; 04-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

On a different tack, have you had any instance of water leakage into the boot/trunk? Lift and remove spare wheel, tools etc and check all floor area. Use relevant wiring diagram to id and locate all connections. Check, clean, spray and don't ignore ground/earth fixings.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 PM

I highly doubt that there has been any water leakage in the trunk, but I will definitely look for it.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Reason . . . even on these final run models like yours and mine, 20yo cars can develop flukey electrical connections. Plenty of posts here that show that any moisture at all can accelerate corrosion significantly. Consider position of main power distribution and rear fuse box. Easy check . . . easy to rule out . . . but also, easy to fix.

Cheers and best wishes,

Ken

Old 04-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Ahh, I see.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 AM

Well from what I saw there was no moisture found under the spare wheel. I've been looking around and it seems like a faulty taillight computer may cause this issue (and I'm hoping that this is not the case). Is there any way to tell if the computer is the one causing the problem?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Do all the electrical tests in the workshop manual, consult the electrical guide and if needs be use WDS / IDS for further tests.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:34 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Since this oddity has only taken place since the bulb replacement, I would be going back to the bulb as #1 suspect.

I know the dealer supplied and fitted it, but I worked for the Dealer here also, and they are human, and do make mistakes.

My Early S Type blew a bulb, as did yours, and since I have been in the Auto Parts Industry for 53 years, I simply grabbed a standard 12v 21/5W Offset pin bulb, and put it in. It went in, a tad tight, but with Plastic sockets, anything is possible. Worked for a while, then a bulb failure lamp, and since the X200 is so clever, it even told me which bulb, THE ONE I JUST DID, OOPS.

Thats when I found the bulbis "DIFFERENT" as has already be stated, and the pins are offset, BUT, also offset on the circumference when looked at from the bottom. Once I grabbed the correct bulb, and took note of the fitment "angle of the dangle" all sweet, and the Jag luvs me again.

I tried to get pictures of the difference that is SOOOOOO easy to mistake, but that failed miserably.

However, this image from the Narva catalogue might help???. The 2 different bulbs are #5 and #6, with #1 being the TOP left, and #4 being 2nd row, 1st left. Look at the base on the 2 bulbs, and the offset of the pins on the circumference is noted, and the bulb #6 is the one YOU need.

Brake Lights Issue-stop-tail.png

I doubt the module, as they are a rare failure in the real world. Blamed for all sorts, but rarely the culprit.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 04-17-2017 at 04:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,754 Posts

If not the bulb the REM (Rear Electronics Module) controls the grounding of the circuit which lights the tail/brake/turn bulbs. As you know this car controls the grounds only and the power side of the circuit are always alive when the car is on.

I have had a FEM fail just like your symptoms. The FEM controls the front lights. Those two modules control a lot of different things.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I did a quick check before heading up for state inspection the other day on the 05, and neither left nor right brake light was working, though the hi-mount was. Came in and searched on "brake lights" here in te forum and became "Scairt" I may have to rob modules from the parts car. Decided to go back to basics(and back to the car.)

Pulled the right side brake bulb, checked both circuits in it with a meter, drizzled a dab of ACF-50 on it and re-seated it. SUCCESS! DId likewise with the left side, same result. Unfortunately, the inspection shop had Saturday hours of 8-4pm posted, yet was locked up tighter than Dick's hat-band about noon on Saturday. I guess they took off for Easter.

Different symptoms than the OP described, for sure, but sometimes the Jags just need a bit of fawning male attention.

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
cat_as_trophy (04-18-2017), Grant Francis (04-18-2017)