Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken hose, refrigerant leaks and necessary work

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken hose, refrigerant leaks and necessary work

Hello Forum,
I am a happy owner of a S-Type 2.7d manual.
Often there are problems, despite not having a quite excessive mileage (about 120k), but have now 10 years.
The fact is that my trusted mechanic moved right now that my car requires hard work, especially in manpower level.
It has in fact broken an hose connected to the heating system with massive loss of coolant ... The replacement seems simple, except that for the repair is necessary to remove the engine to perform the job. (According to the current mechanic...)

Anyone is aware of the fact whether to do this repair just maybe dismantle the dashboard to enter the affected area or is it really necessary to pull down the whole engine (which of course would require a large outlay ... )
I tried to read a manual workshop, but as well as being about 3300 pages, it is not specifically the version 2.7d and even correct year. Not to mention that, if you had not already noticed it , English ist'n my mother tongue...

Thank you

Old 12-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

There are no coolant hoses in the passenger compartment. If you have coolant leaking inside the car your heater core is leaking.

Do you have coolant leaking inside the car?

Be aware that you need to replace EVERY coolant hose because of the age of your car.

There are no hoses that require the engine to be removed??

The very worst hose for replacement is a hose you don't have. That go's to the under super charger hose us STR guys fight with. Still does not require engine removal just the super charger.

I think unless you can do the work yourself you will just have a money pit.
Your explanations seem very confused?
Maybe time to move on?

Old 12-10-2016, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My explanations seem confused perhaps because finding the correct translation of each spare part is not so simple, after all is not a small talk, but a technical issue.

However I have never said to have leaks inside the car (which also I don't think it's possible); there simply are refrigerant leaks visible on the asphalt immediately once topping up the liquid and turns on the car. (There is no more pressure inside the cooling circuit).

The damage is due to the rupture of a hose (I heard that there are 8 in my car), in particular one that is connected to the heating system.

My doubt is:

- If replacement hose (but it would be better, as you say, hoses) requires the engine removal or not.

The mechanic says I need to remove it, but I would prefer first to be sure that it can replace for example starting to remove from dashboard. (Which requires fewer hours of work)

That's it, I hope I was clear.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Sounds to be a hose in the engine bay. If so, I see no reason to remove the dash.

I do not know where the hoses are routed in the 2.7D engine bay.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,996 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the language issue. In fact, you are to be commended for doing your best anyway. Many of the technical terms do not always translate well to other languages. I learned the hard way as a technical writer.

Can you post some pictures of the broken hose? Like the others have said, i don't think the engine has to be removed for access to any lines in the cooling system.

Is the car currently at the mechanic's shop? It sounds like the mechanic is trying to overcharge you, but we don't know all the details. Pictures would be a great help.

Have you seen the broken hose yourself, or is this just what the mechanic is telling you?

Perhaps one of the metal tubes on the heater core has broken. The heater core is in the center of the dash, and the tubes pass through the firewall, directly behind the engine. It is very cramped back there. Maybe the mechanic thinks the heater core is removed from the front? That might explain why he thinks the engine has to be removed.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

Is this a coolant (water) hose or an AC (refrigerant) hose?
A picture will be a huge help.
I'll be surprised if engine removal is needed, but you never know!

Old 12-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

As your need is urgent, and it involves a diesel ... perhaps you should
have a look at the UK site:

JaguarForum.com - The World's # 1 Jaguar Car Forum

Far more diesel owners there.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,996 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by edo22
​​​​The damage is due to the rupture of a hose (I heard that there are 8 in my car), in particular one that is connected to the heating system.
I had an idea if you need an inexpensive way to drive the car again. From the description, it sounds like one (or more) of the three heater hoses has failed. If so, you could disconnect and plug those three hoses at the firewall connections to the heater core. If access is too tight back there, disconnect the three heater lines from the Dual Climate Control Valve (DCCV) and cap those fittings. The DCCV is behind the right headlight, close to the radiator. It's easy to find by following the three lines forward from the heater core.

​​​​Obviously you won't have heat, but at least the cooling system will be intact and you could drive the car again until you decide the best way to complete the repair.

Also, make sure the coolant reservoir hasn't cracked. That is a common issue with these cars and will cause a leak near the firewall.