S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cure for throttle position and pedal position codes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cure for throttle position and pedal position codes.

'05 STR that used to belong to a customer/friend and is now mine, current mileage 53K. A couple years ago it went into limp mode the day after a major rain storm. I pulled a throttle position sensor code, don't recall the number. I found the connector had water in it. I cleaned and dried it and added some liquid electrical tape to the wires where they go into the plug, all good. Then a couple months ago it did the same thing after a hard rain but this time the code was for the throttle pedal position sensor. Sure enough, a little water had gotten in again. This time I made sure to get the liquid tape in really well between the wires and onto the plug and wrapped the wires in tape up to the sheathing for good measure. Luckily the contacts had no sign on corrosion, but I hit them with electronics cleaner and a toothbrush just in case.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:36 PM
Default Cure for P0171 and P0174, engine lean bank 1 & 2.

I feared it was intake or supercharger gaskets, turned out to be a hose that popped off. No idea what this hose does (am curious if anyone knows) but it's attached to the SC outlet plenum on the driver's side just behind the aftercooler connection. It's tucked down a bit so long nose pliers were used to put it back on. The hose fit was pretty loose to I put a zip-tie on it, held the locking part of the tie with one pliers and used another to pull the tie tight. I used a special zip-tie that's designed for hoses (shaped to wrap around better) but a regular one should work too.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 160 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by '05 STR
'05 STR that used to belong to a customer/friend and is now mine, current mileage 53K. A couple years ago it went into limp mode the day after a major rain storm. I pulled a throttle position sensor code, don't recall the number. I found the connector had water in it. I cleaned and dried it and added some liquid electrical tape to the wires where they go into the plug, all good. Then a couple months ago it did the same thing after a hard rain but this time the code was for the throttle pedal position sensor. Sure enough, a little water had gotten in again. This time I made sure to get the liquid tape in really well between the wires and onto the plug and wrapped the wires in tape up to the sheathing for good measure. Luckily the contacts had no sign on corrosion, but I hit them with electronics cleaner and a toothbrush just in case.
Let me guess...was it P1584? And for 10 year old cars, contact cleaner is a Godsend!

BTW, 53K miles is super low! Good find!

Old 10-14-2015, 12:55 AM

I don't know why my two separate topics got put into one. Maybe I screwed up, maybe the system is as quirky as a Jag? I'll try to repost the vacuum leak as it's own topic and pre-appologize if it/I do something stupid.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-14-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Warspite
Let me guess...was it P1584? And for 10 year old cars, contact cleaner is a Godsend!

BTW, 53K miles is super low! Good find!
Not a clue on the code, been too long.

At 53k and knowing it's previous owners babied it it is a great find! I'm still on the fence as to whether it'll be a keeper just because it's not something I think I would drive much, but it is the most spectacular car I've ever owned. The downside of it coming from people who babied it is that on day one I had the lean codes from that hose that blew off, might be the first time the car made boost, and I ran the **** out of it several times. I've been driving it to see what all burps up from it's proper usage. If that hose is all that happens I'm happy. I burned a half tank of gas in no time, but it takes BTUs to make smiles. I'm still amazed at how a 2 ton car can go, turn, and stop like this thing does...and all the while being wrapped in luxury and security.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

When I purchest my 03 str it had this issue , random limp mode
Throtle position senser code and peddle pos code ! Mine had a lot
Of water in tps plug . As well as the 5volt wire in the plug had gone
Green with corrosion ! As stated contact cleaner and agitate it with a small brass wire brush , worked for me .
Insolation tape is not the way to seal this plug.
You need to silicone seal it all around the four wires !
Also seal the small vent holes in the top of the plug , you will see
Them if you take a close look at the flat top side beside the wire outlets
! Good luck !

Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

A couple of things.

That vacuum hose runs to your fuel pressure sensor.

I would replace the TPS plug. I just found out after many hours of searching that a dead common Toyota TPS 4 pin plug is what you need. It's about $17.

Toyota Lexus Celica Camry TPS Throttle Position Sensor Connector Plug Pigtail | eBay

If you just want the pins and the plug with no wires you can get that for a few bucks cheaper too.

New Toyota Supra 1JZ 2jz TPS Throttle Position Sensor Connector Plug Clips Turbo | eBay

I had to destroy the first one I bought so I could figure out how to release the pins but it comes with a pig tail so you could cut and splice it in too. There is a yellow plastic lock that must be slid out a bit and then the retaining tab can be pried up releasing the wire.

The STR has the TPS plug facing straight up so it will catch any water that drops down on it.

Now if anyone can find the 2 pin plug on the throttle body that controls the electronic throttle opening I sure could use one. Mine is completely in pieces from the heat. Good thing is this plug is horizontal so the water does not naturally flow into the connection.

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (10-14-2015)
Old 02-11-2016, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't find a new plug, just get some ABS from the hardware store and paint yourself a new plug maybe?

Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion but the plastic has just crumbled and I have little left of the outer shell. Still can't find that small 2 pin plug for the electronic throttle body.

One other thing you should do is seal the windshield wiper motor connection that goes thru the cowl. This is a water entry point and as posted above the TPS on this car faces straight up so it is just sitting there ready to catch whatever falls on it. I think there was a TSB from Jaguar on the repair but I can't find it.