Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Fuel mileage

Hi All!!!!! Yesterday I went on a long trip, from my house in my 07 X TYPE 3.0. The ride was 335 miles from my favorite gas station in town. Filling up at my destination, and back to the same gas station, following the exact same route.

A week prior to the trip, I cleaned the engine with a can of Seafoam spray in the throttle body, according to the instructions, and put two cans of Seafoam, in a third of a tank, and drove it, until it was starting to stumble on turns, so I had an empty tank, before I filled for the trip. I don't have anything to do with the Seafoam company, other than giving them $40.

I saw a video on Utube, where a kid experimented with Seafoam on a lawn mower, and a Japanese STI road rocket, that I don't think I could afford.....Lawn mower included.

Other than my cars, I am almost completely green, with a 19" Black and Decker 36 volt battery powered mower, a Black and Decker lithium ion battery powered weed wacker, and some huge E GO 56 volt lithium ion battery powered leaf blower my wife bought me, that I also use to dry my cars, being careful not to blow them over.

The only problem with these battery powered devices, is that in order to get the batteries to live forever, you must run them fully charged, to when they won't go anymore. For the weed wacker that is no problem, but the mower, and blower cause me to mow and blow at least the front lawn of the old lady's house next door, after I have limped through my own complete lawn. If you only use the batteries, until they are half charged, they will eventually go flat on you, and the old lady next door will be mowing your front lawn. If you do as I do, the batteries will keep taking more charge, and some day I may be mowing almost her whole lawn.......back to the subject at hand.

I also changed the fuel filter, and flushed the cooling system, about a month ago, when I power flushed out my trans, with an electric pump, and added a half bottle of Lucas trans fluid conditioner, on my final fill. The bottle said it would treat the external seals(which I have NO problems with), and the internal parts, which I concluded to be the clutches, valve body, and internal seals. I also filled the transfer case, and differential, the weekend before last.

Initially I noticed faster take offs, and harder shifts, and that did not thrill me, but after a hard reset, driving around for a week, and the transmission relearning how I drive, things smoothed out, even though I still need to watch my take-offs, because the car moves off the line much quicker. Nothing violent, just quicker.

My average speed was 75mph, according to the computer, including through speed unfriendly Illinois. I left with a full tank of goat ****,(87 octane) from my favorite gas station,(she was the lass, who gave me jello shots, from between her breasts a few months ago) and was well into the red, by the time I made it to a gas station at my destination. I filled up with premium (93 octane) for the trip home, to see if there was a difference in fuel mileage.

Upon arriving at my home gas station, with 1 mile less, than on my trip to my destination.....I really don't understand how that happened, I was just below quarter tank, but not near the red portion of the gauge.

The results were 87 octane equals 24 MPG, while 93 octane equals 28 mpg, and a LOT more ease in passing The ambient temperature was about equal for the entire trip, which was around 62 degrees.

According to my calculations, I am not saving any money at all, by filling the car with cheap gasoline. The figures come out about even, within 2 cents....I will be buying premium for now on.

Hope this was worth the read. I was just sharing what I discovered, and some other crap, that I can't help from falling out of my brain.....Be cool.....Mike......HAPPY NAVY DAY!!!

The following users liked this post:
Lubrication (10-13-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

All very interesting Mike. I know the 911 guys love seafoam. I tried some in my bike and I did not see any change.

I do have one question...where's this gas station? (likes Jello)

Old 10-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

She also works for a bar that is at bike and car nights, at the local Harley Davidson store, in Valparaiso. If you can believe it, she was a preacher's daughter, that took piano lessons from my wife. A sweet girl, that always liked me, when she was little. I lead a charmed life I guess.....Now you know where to go during the summer, on a Friday night. I think the spray Seafoam does more to remove the gunk from long intake runners, than on top of the pistons, so the car breathes better, and the Seafoam you run in your tank cleans up the injectors. Unless your motorcycle was real bizarre, it wouldn't have long intake runners.....Be cool.....Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 10-16-2015 at 07:37 AM.