Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darn dog

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Default Darn dog

So I have been laid up the past week and have been in bed. We have a year and 4 month old Doberman that usually goes everywhere I go. She is very used to "go for a ride".

Today Joyce had to do a quick grocery run, no big deal. She took Phoebe. While Joyce was shopping (10 minutes) our precious pup decided to customize our S Types interior. I have no idea what possessed Phoebe to chew the drivers seat belt but she did. Thankfully, I found several on eBay, less than $50.00 shipped.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Sorry to hear that you're ill, Rick. Is it the flu? Hope you get better quickly and that no one else in the family comes down with it....

Yep, you gotta watch those pups when they get left alone and bored. Our male English Cocker Spaniel would do the same thing that Phoebe did. Leave him alone with his leash attached to his collar and he will mow through it in no time....

Good luck with the seat belt replacement and let us know how it goes....

Old 01-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Nope, not the flu, although at this point I wish it were! Had my left knee replacement a week ago Thursday. Second questioning my right knee in 4 months.

Oddly enough, Phoebe really feels right at home in a vehicle, short or long distances. Joyce thought maybe that because the rear seats were taken up with a safety seat and booster, the passenger seat was forward to much and driver's wasn't comfy, that Phoebe was upset. Logical I guess.

As far as repair, the parts should be here by Thursday. I will supervise both Joyce and Brooke ( for others, Brooke is our eldest at 12) to replace. I may take photos.

​​​​​​

Old 01-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
the parts should be here by Thursday. I will supervise both Joyce and Brooke ( for others, Brooke is our eldest at 12) to replace. I may take photos.​​​​​
Knee or seatbelt?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

sorry to hear it, Rick. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
Knee or seatbelt?
LOL, both Karl!

Thanks Zane.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Best wishes to you. When my wife had both hips replaced within six months, she found the enforced idleness of post-op recuperation the most frustrating part. I expect knee replacements are similar.

Congratulations to Phoebe for such straight cuts. I wouldn't care to get on the wrong side of that one.

Graham

Old 01-07-2018, 06:36 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Take it easy Rick, that daytime tv will soon have you on your feet.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Rick, I had no idea your knees were bad enough to replace. You are now the youngest knee replacement patient I know....

My left knee has been an issue for me since the mid-1980s. Playing football (that's American football, not soccer) from age 6 to age 42 did various parts of my body no favors, and my left knee has plagued me for more than half of my life as a result. The first scope surgery in July 1987 was quite successful in quelling the pain and restoring my mobility. But as I continued to play football and the knee continued to decline, I agreed to a second scope surgery in July 1999 which wound up making things worse. I continue to battle my left knee every day of my life and hope to be able to continue to postpone replacement for a few more years. Perhaps your experience will convince me to bite the bullet and do it. Please keep me posted on your rehab experiences as well as your progress....

Best of luck and do not rush your rehab program. I resumed playing ball after an Achilles tendon rupture far too soon in 1984 and wound up losing another 6 months due to the setback caused by my own foolish drive to get back on the field as soon as possible....

Old 01-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for the well wishes!!!

Jon, I wasn't as brutal to my knees as you. Most of mine was due when I was younger. I had a very unusual growing spurt the summer of 1983. That combined with the sports I chose as well. Oh as for being young, yes 53. I am at least 10 maybe 15 years younger than the other patients I have met at the office visits.

I have been putting off for several years. This past summer, I could take the pain no longer. Once my left heals up 3-4 months I will be going in for my right. "They" tell me the second goes more smoothly, recovery wise. When you think of pulling the trigger on new knee(s), call me. There are a couple tips I will pass along to aid in your painful post op.

Meet Phoebe the pup:

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,232 Likes on 7,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Rick, I had no idea your knees were bad enough to replace. You are now the youngest knee replacement patient I know....

Perhaps your experience will convince me to bite the bullet and do it. Please keep me posted on your rehab experiences as well as your progress....

Best of luck and do not rush your rehab program. I resumed playing ball after an Achilles tendon rupture far too soon in 1984 and wound up losing another 6 months due to the setback caused by my own foolish drive to get back on the field as soon as possible....
Jon..go ahead and do it. My son had both knees replaced at the same time and didn't regret it. A bit shorter rehab time. He was in the hospital a few days, then went home for some time off from work to get used to things. (He's about Rick's age)
He works at the same hospital where the event took place.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

FWIW, a colleague of mine had his knee replaced. He was out on medical leave for recovery 2-3 months. During that time, one of our engineers came looking for him, "Where's "Jim"?"
(Guy who has retired from 2 other aerospace companies, has had 9 heart attacks and been struck by lightning 3 times) "Out on medical leave..."
"What's wrong with him?"
"Had his knee replaced"
"I didn't know he needed a knee replacement..."
"He NEEDS two knees and a hip, but all he's gettin' is one knee!"

"Jim" reported it was the worst pain he'd EVER experienced and would NEVER go through it again. Several years on, the replaced knee got worse than the other one and worse than the one it replaced. He went back for warranty service. There were some complications and I think he eventually found a new surgeon. He has since had both knees replaced (one at a time, separated by full recovery) and has retired and travels the world frequently. Mostly Thailand and Costa Rica and sends us pics from time to time. From the pics, I've noticed his "Interpreter" is always a fetching young lass from in-country, or so it would appear!
Also, a close-knit, small group at work - so when we have a monthly beer night, we invite the retirees. He now reports that it was the best move he ever made, getting both knees replaced....so I think it comes down to the skill of your surgeon and the facility.

BTW, not sure how old he was at first replacement, but less than 59, because I distinctly remember when the company was offering one of the numerous VSP's over the past 10 years (Voluntary Separation Plan) These usually have an age and time-with-company requirement, and I believe this particular one was "Age 62 and over" but anyway, I overheard one of the other lads inquire of "Jim" (and I distinctly recall this was between the 1st knee replacement and the warranty service) "Are you considering the VSP?"
"No! Not old enough. I'm only 59.......I just LOOK like I'm 80..." (and he did!)

Last edited by aholbro1; 01-08-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

I agree that the skill of the surgeon along with the particular model of the new knee are probably the two most important factors involved. The new knees are smaller and less intrusive than they were a decade ago, and there are several different approaches to consider. The patient must also commit 110% to following through on the necessary rehab requirements. Rehab can be quite painful so a high pain tolerance is a big plus (and I indeed have one). I know folks who say their knee replacement surgery was the best decision they ever made, and I know folks who say they wish they had never agreed to do it. The key is to spend plenty of time researching your surgeon options, your hardware options, and your procedural options. Getting your legs in optimum shape and dropping some weight before surgery is scheduled is also a good idea....

I will follow Rick's progress and perhaps move this decision up my priority list somewhat....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-08-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

If you have some sort of personal relationship with a trauma nurse, I've found they are an excellent source of information on surgeons. They see them under some of the most emergent and highest-stress situations....AND they see when those same patients return for "warranty work" if necessary. Personal relationship is key, because even at that, they can be guarded in their comments, as you might imagine. My source was the wife of an engineer that I worked with at a former company....we've both moved on to other work pursuits, and they've divorced...but I still give Don a call and ask for his ex-wife's contact info if I or a family member are in need of a surgery!

I had my shoulder scoped some 15 yrs ago, after seeing what was, at the time, my neighbor - a renowned orthopedic surgeon who had established quite a reputation in the trauma-trade around DFW. We did NSAID's, then Steroid shots, all with minimal result, and after X-Ray's and MRI's, he pronounced, "We can keep trying pills and shots, but your shoulder is worn out and eventually I'll need to replace it." I was 42 at the time and his diagnosis did not square with my experience and outlook....atall - I had injured it playing basketball with the church crowd when I ripped a rebound away from a much taller and larger man - (Heed Coach Cal - "Rebound with TWO HANDS!" but this was before UK found Coach Cal and I was rebounding one-handed)
Anyway, I went to work after that diagnosis, "Don, we gotta call your wife, I need a doc.." so he rang her up on speakerphone and she recommended two. One was in our insurance network, so I suggested he would be my first choice unless there were reservations on her side? And don't you know, right there on speakerphone in front of her husband, "Well, Dr. Steven XXYY is my favorite man in the whole world, I wouldn't hesitate to let him cut on me or any family member!" Sorry, can't recall his last name just now, but can look it up if you are interested, Jon. As it happened, he was the shoulder guy for the Texas Rangers! (He did knees, too) But he sent me a letter a few years later saying he was moving his practice to North Carolina. I don't recall the locale specifically, but 70% sure it was the RDU area.

Dr. Daniel Cooper(also a trauma nurse referrel) performed an "Opening wedge proximal oesteotomy" on my middle son's knee after he dislocated the patella in a HS football game (yes, American Football, not futbol!) and it never quite healed, despite the best efforts of our pediatric orthopedic surgeon who had performed admirably on the other kids. Excellent work and the kid's knee is good as ever, now. Again....finding out after-first-contact and referral, but Dr. Daniel Cooper is the team surgeon for the Dallas Cowboys.

I guess the takeaway is, if you don't have a hook with a good trauma nurse, but you have a professional sports team in the near vicinity, you could do worse than going to the guy that cuts on their million $ investments!

Jon89 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Good information, Zane. You are spot-on regarding developing personal relationships with medical professionals before having any serious work done....

I was fortunate enough to have two fantastic orthopedic surgeons way back in the 1980s and early 1990s who put both of my Achilles tendons and my left shoulder back together after catastrophic football injuries on artificial turf that never would have occurred on real grass (don't get me started on the dangers of artificial turf). They both enabled me to keep playing the game I loved so much at a championship level into the mid-1990s, much to the chagrin of my wife. One is retired now, and the other passed away a few years ago....

With Duke University's Duke Hospital about 20 minutes from my house, I am likely to be in good hands there when and if I decide the time has come to replace my left knee. Time will eventually tell....

Old 01-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Great news, parts were shipped yesterday. Gotta love eBay! Sorry to get off topic

As I had mentioned I had been putting off surgery for quite some time. When the pain started to interfere with my quality of life, Joyce had had enough. I have acquaintances in the Physical Therapy arena, here in the Charlotte area. I first spoke to them for opinions on a couple different surgeons that I had researched. These PT's, fortunately are therapists for knee and hip replacement patients, lucky me. One Dr.s name kept coming up from not only them but also 2 fellows that recently (within past year) have had both knees replaced, individual times. Google being Google I researched him online. After extensive research I settled on my surgeon. Like the said Dr.s above, he is a high profile Orthopedic Surgeon for the professional sports teams here in the Queen City. He has been in the business for 30+ years and he co-developed the pieces parts which make up my new total knee. I guess it must be nice to get paid twice for one surgery . I should say this as well. My surgeon also had his left knee replaced this past year using his knee concept. I like the fact that (a) surgeon actually knows what a recipient is going to go through.

Moving along. My office visits prior to surgery were excellent and I became a very well informed patient. I was able to hold, play and understand not only the procedure but the new knee parts as well. I pleaded with the Surgeon, PLEASE replace both knees together, I can handle it. Long story short, he would not. I made the date for surgery.

Surgery day, Dec. 28th. I was admitted at 7:00 am for prep. Of course disrobed except for a hospital gown. IV's, blood, temperature, heart rate etc.... At 10:20 I was wheeled down the hallway still coherent. Some of the nice staff were wishing me luck and a speedy recovery as we passed. Into the operating room I was greeted by a couple nurses, I vaguely remember some beautiful eyes. The anesthesiologist asked for me to roll to my side, POOF, I awoke in my private room at 12:30. I should say with an extra appendage, a Foley Catheter. Gentlemen, I can honestly say the feeling was mmm unique, I was not expecting this nor told I would be on the receiving end.

Now I am not going to get into a I am tougher than you kind of discussion. I was administered a spinal nerve block (which there are a couple of choices to choose from). It lasted for about 24 hours. I should mention, if I choose a partial replacement I would have walked out of the surgery center within 4 hours after. Total Knee Replacement (TKR) you are generally discharged after 24 hours. I loved the care and attention I received throughout the rest of the day and night. Morning came, although I did not see my surgeon his PA came around to check on me. He saw I was doing fine and discharged me at 10:00 am Friday. Just prior to Joyce picking me up, guess what I had to leave behind........ yep the Foley, again mmmmm quite the unique sensation!

I was prescribed some random prescriptions plus 100 oxycodones. I have never had any type of drug like this before. Yes I counted each and every one of them to make sure! Again, I am not going to get into a heman discussion, I am not a puss but,,,,,, I am so glad my Dr. did NOT replace both knees in the same surgery. The pain threshold is beyond what I can describe (of course the surgeons are not going to tell you this). After the nerve block really truely wears off, happened sometime Friday night according to Joyce. I began to eat those oxys as if M&M's. Prescription said, "take 1-2 pills every 6 hours for pain or as needed"! I choose the as needed part . After 7 days the pain would come and go, usually come at night (you have to know, that you are flat on your back, you cannot bend nor twist or breath without bolts of lightening shooting out of your TKR. Yes, sleep is something you don't get for a few days, more oxy!

The PT showed up on Saturday to setup the daily exercises, they start simple like breath in breath out, more oxy! Really they do get you out of bed and you move around a bit. I had Jennifer for my first PT, she mentioned that I was going to miss her as another PT will be handling my rehab from then out, boy was she right. Last Monday Candice, dominatrix from HELL becomes my new PT. I asked if I could have a safe word, she gave me that look of well you can guess. After our 25 minute session that day, I believe my eyes uncrossed on Weds. just before my next "session" (more oxy), only to cross again and again and again here in the next couple of hours. Can we say more oxy!!!! Here it is 11 days after TKR. I am down to 26 oxy's, yes I will be taking 2 more 45 minutes prior to the pro-dommes arrival. I will be taking 2 more oxy's after our "session". First couple days, I walked in pain and oxy's with a walker, mid last week I traded up my S Type walker for a new improved CLS550 cane. Yesterday, although awkward I can move around without aids but quite the limp, more oxy's.

Sorry I am rambling on. I have been in pain, alone and meandering around aimlessly for 10 days and am suffering from cabin fever, more oxy!

Jon, do your diligence as I know you will. As you stated TKR has come along way over the years. Old school TKR 10~12 years, new school my knee(s) should last 25+ years, according the Doctor who co invented it. Although right now I am not happy with my decision, the pain will subside in a few more days. I will get about 98% flexibility back, I am shooting for 100%. In 3-4 months I will return to have my right knee replaced and at this time next year when all the PAIN and oxy's are gone, I will be hitting the slopes with my girls and looking forward to getting back on the water skis with them as well!

Last edited by joycesjag; 01-08-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hang in there Rick. You have multiple folks here on the forum pulling for you every step of the way. If there are any chores around the house that need doing while you are out of service, just let me know and I can be there within a half-day in most cases....

And if you need someone to come and make Candice feel some of what you are going through with her, I would enjoy playing that role as well....

joycesjag (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
If there are any chores around the house that need doing while you are out of service...
Tell ya what, I'd be willing to coordinate the volunteers who'd be there doing all the hard work. No need to thank me, just doing my little bit to help.

joycesjag (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

Beautiful dog. You should be proud. Oh yes----be happy it wasn't the seat.
I use to raise Dobermans. They are a wonderful breed.

Cheers

joycesjag (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hang in there, Rick! Keep up with the pain-killers....I still vividly remember those specific Dr. Instructions from my shoulder surgery: "Take 'em as often as I tell you to take'em; don't skip because you "don't feel pain right now" because if the drugs ever fall behind the pain curve...you will NEVER catch up!"

And I saw him one day down in rehab, checking up on some guys, "You got it easy....not like these knee-guys!"

joycesjag (01-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Darn dog