S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diagnostics cable , software need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:08 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default diagnostics cable , software need Advice!

good morning guys! I'm a newbie to the jaguar community. however I owned audis, and bmw and done many DIY'S projects my self . so I guess I have been exposed to this beautiful foreign vehicles . I'm buying a 2005 S type 3.0 from a car auction , which I know will be a project !!

need advice getting proper diagnostics tools such as cables , software which I know I will need to diagnose any issues
where do you guys get your cables or software ? I also have three computers with windows 7 , windows 10 and also windows xp..

gracias-

Old 11-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

This a difficult question to answer as you will get many opinions.
I use a icarsoft i930 to read most codes onautomatic setting. This device does not read the engine codes for this I use an elm 327 with the program from eobd facile. This program reads the engine codes using the jaguar dtc.

Finally I also have a mongoose clone which works with the jaguar sdd/ids program to diagnose and program. To use this device on the s type before 2005 you need to use an older version. Than what comes with the device.

The best version is the 1.30 which is virus free can be found here on the British jaguar forum as t this post.mongoose v130

Old 11-16-2016, 04:41 PM

yes I will probably look at purchasing the icarsoft I930 I believe this one does ABS and air bags lights and codes right ! and also mongoose clone for diagnosing and programming too.

thanks Ducmon

Old 11-17-2016, 03:07 AM

I never used the icarsoft to check the airbags but it worked very well on the abs.

When you get a mongoose don't use the disks that come with it except for the driver.

All the programs have a virus in them. Read the British forum on the program about 70 pages.
We are using the version 1.30 because of that. It is also stand alone. No internet connection needed.
In fact never connect to the internet once installed or it will update and you have to format the computer.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Plan NOT to reprogram (reflash) at all using the Mongoose / IDS/SDD as clones are at best risky. A bricked car is not funny.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:16 AM

That is why I have an elm and icarsoft which I use more than the mongoose which I am a bit frightened off as I am unable to find a manual for the IDS. My car is too old for the sdd program to function and for that I find manual.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

There are threads on the net incl other jag forums with manuals etc

Old 11-17-2016, 07:35 AM

I have looked and downloaded a lot of them but they deal more with the SDD side of the program rather than IDS FOR DUMMiES.
So it's just used to read codes for the JTIS and to see the live data.
I was thinking about using it to reprogram my keys so that I have two but that may be a bit too much of a risk.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducmon
....I am unable to find a manual for the IDS.
The IDS software is all but identical to the old WDS, 99% the same.

So here is the WDS training manual http://www.mediafire.com/file/7rz9vs...jaguar+wds.pdf

The following users liked this post:
Ducmon (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the information.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:15 PM

many thanks to you guys ! much appreciate all the info.. I got busy this morning trying to get car started .. car wouldn't do any thing . just a bunch of check engine sings all of them were lighting up.. turns out many of the fuses total of 7 think . were removed from the hood/trunk fuse boxes , after replacing them car started a bit rough . but its a start . I have coolant low sign. and ABS and Check engine light on ! I'm planning on shopping around for the carsoft I930 now and mongoose so I can pull codes and diagnosis .. gracias..

Old 11-17-2016, 03:02 PM

Hi
Just to diagnose the engine I would use an elm 327 it is cheap and you can get one of amazon in a couple of days.

The program from Outils OBD Facile - Info about the OBD2, ELM327 and car diagnostics is free for diagnosing but costs for the resetting of the codes, a one off price to buy the full version. there are versions for Macs Android and windows. I have the full version for my laptop . The other advantage is that you can use it for a lot of other cars because it has most European manufacturer codes. I have read the codes for a few people for 10 € a go.

when I used it to check Po322 (Knock sensor) motor light and engine in restricted mode it worked very well. I5t found the problem in seconds and told me the code number so I could check it in the JTIS to correct the fault.

It took me weeks to get a working version of the SDD/IDS program and will take even longer to understand it.

My mongoose came from Singapore even thought the firm that was selling it said it was in Germany. ( if it had been found by the customs it would have been destroyed as an illegal copy.)

It is a big risk here in Germany.

The mongoose is device that allows you reprogram or reflash but there are a lot of horror stories about the effects when it goes wrong.

But its your money and car.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:03 PM

appreciate all the help Ducmon . I ended up ordering Autel AutoLink AL619S just cause . it has ABS , AIR bags module to pull codes , this car has the ABS light on and check engine light .. I will definite be looking at getting mongoose v130 too.. also how difficult is it to set it up ? I m gonna use windows xp computer

Old 11-17-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I don't know where in TEXAS you are but I am about 40 miles Northwest of Fort Worth.
I have a few WDS, a Dell Latitude with IDS and a Drew Tech Mogoose Pro JLR with SDD software (mongoose still for sale).

Windows XP Pro is fine with IDS or SDD.

You are welcome to visit my shop and scan all the modules.

bob

Old 11-17-2016, 07:06 PM

very cool Motorcarman ! I'm in the plano area , i just got this car yesterday , no plates or sticker . i haven't even got the sales receipts from auction to transfer it to my name .. and do registration . so far i got ABS, brake and check engine light on ! also cooling hose ripped leaking coolant real bad , that's easy fix also i need to replace front tires so as i get all the done , i will take u up on the offer and drive up there about an hr and some minutes..NOT bad
what are you asking for the mongoose ? gracias-

Old 11-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by jaimster
very cool Motorcarman ! I'm in the plano area , i just got this car yesterday , no plates or sticker . i haven't even got the sales receipts from auction to transfer it to my name .. and do registration . so far i got ABS, brake and check engine light on ! also cooling hose ripped leaking coolant real bad , that's easy fix also i need to replace front tires so as i get all the done , i will take u up on the offer and drive up there about an hr and some minutes..NOT bad
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...ftware-171671/

Old 11-21-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jaimster
Make sure your battery is FULLY charged before troubleshooting, otherwise you'll be chasing false-positive codes and possibly replacing things that don't need to be replaced.