Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesels - Demons or Angels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts
Default Diesels - Demons or Angels?

Risky to buy any diesel with a DPF as I reckon that will definitely have. Too many problems. Read up on the net about destroyed engines. I wouldn't have one given if I had to drive it.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty clued up when it comes to turbo Diesel engine. I've not had the 2.7 though. Diesel is diesel though. You can get the dpf delete and even run with a de-cat here in GB. As long as the exhaust system looks complete. (You can knock the guts out). These are things I have both done to previous diesels I have owned. Glow plugs tips can brake and get stuck. If they arn't lubed up prior to fitting (I use a smear of copper grease) As I'm an avid and experienced DIYer. (I'm an engineer working in the sub sea gas n oil industry).
Simple things like vacuum leaks can throw limp mode, EGR valves can clog. Engines can over run consuming the engine oil as fuel until self destruction (Not by any means a common occurrence). leak off pipes can perish and go bad, swirl flaps can have issues.
I'll do a little research into the 2.7 common problems. Most Diesels are pretty bullet proof. Preventative maintenance with regular oil changes with a good quality oil should see a good diesel engine 2 or 3X around the clock.
PS. By Knocking the Guts out of the cat and DPF you also free up some Horses as the engine can breath more easily. I have even introduced a second cold air feed with a sports free flowing air filter to help with the breathing.

Last edited by Steve_Jaggar; 12-24-2013 at 04:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Er, you know the DPF is required by law (everywhere in the EU) and an MoT failure if deleted (*), starting soon?

Of course an owner must inform their insurer (again, by law) if they've removed the DPF, as with any other modification.

(*) if they notice, as with any defect. It'll be worth MoT testers checking carefully so they get extra work, of course.

Jags fail MoT with cats that are below par never mind with the guts absent. You'll get codes which means MIL which is another MoT fail already.

You must live in a parallel universe?

In case anyone wants to know more (I somewhat doubt it!) the UK forum has a thread referring to the laws concerned.

As is well known on here, there are no diesel S-Types in USA/Canada etc. I can't see them passing the emissions laws.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-24-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Wrong..... It is Not law for all diesels to have a DPF you are incorrect.
I know quite a bit on this subject as I have lived and breathed through Mods which I have done with all of the legal implications and MOT's which have passed. The diesel does not have an emissions test to speak of Its a smoke test only. As long as its not bleaching out abnormal amounts of smoke it will pass. The Mot Tester from Feb 2014 will visually check that the exhaust system is intact they cannot remove parts. There are many many companies in the UK who will remap with the DPF delete.

Petrol cars will fail emissions without the cats present.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Nowhere did I say they must have a DPF. However, if fitted with a DPF by the maker it is illegal to remove it. I'll post the UK thread which contains the laws if you like but better you just go and read. Note: is is already illegal to remove a DPF, it is not a change. What is changing is the MoT.

The reasons behind this - air quality and cancer. Europe including the UK has a huge problem with pollution: NOx, PM and so on. Diesels are mostly the cause. So they're being required to be ever cleaner and people breaking the law are going to be called to account. I guess the authorities cannot ban diesels so are doing what they can instead.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-24-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Cat_as_ Trophy IIRC Cars pre 2005 do not have the DPF
2007/8 will have the DPF from the factory. If its remapped it may have been deleted. Best to check!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 PM

No need to post any links as I'm fully aware of what's changing and what the law is regarding this subject. You don't normally post links. You normally tell people to do a search! Why the change of heart?
Thanks anyway.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 PM

Question?
How does the DPF work?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_Jaggar
Question?
How does the DPF work?
Do a search. (ducking for cover)

The following 3 users liked this post by Mikey:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-25-2013), Norri (12-24-2013), Steve_Jaggar (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 6,251 Likes on 5,451 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_Jaggar
Question?
How does the DPF work?
Most of what I've read says they don't work and then the engine blows up, is that not what's meant to happen?

Old 12-24-2013, 12:33 PM

LOL I like it Mikey.....

I know how they work mate. No need for a search they collect soot then burn it off at high temperature with extra fuel on a regen. I would like to know where all of the Cr@p goes during the regen......Oh yeah the atmosphere!
On most newer diesel cars there are cats/pre cat and DPF's the cats deal with the NOx.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Diesel economical , but pay at a garage for your tech to keep it running . Petrol not so economical, pay at pumps . Diesel John Deere tractor /Berlin TAXI . Petrol , quiet smooth more fun , less black smoke . Also new UK law ...NO DPF no MOT !!!!!!

You wouldnt put a Juke box in a Cathederal , so why put a Diesel in a Jaguar ... ( Yes I know, the economy, fleet managers & Jag was at deaths door )

Old 12-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

WOW!!!

Such enthusiastic opinions designed to help someone doing some pre-purchase research.

Steve; let me read and digest awhile because I hear your diesel experience ... and I am looking for experiences ... preferably owner experiences.

Thanx, JagV8 ... good advice to hit the internet. I have ... in spades. Also, all contemporary road tests - one in Oz 2007 covering an extended test of the 2.7D over many weeks. Funny thing ... testers all gave it the thumbs up ... big time ... but pointed to fierce opposition from trad Jag owners ... until they drove it.

Norri; I have just driven 1500km in my daughter's 1 week old VW Tiguan Diesel - 1300 of that on one tank. The ride was great - it had enough grunt to stick in 7th gear all day - and it didn't blow up once!

I'm hearing that modern Jags can't do that?

Wow again. When did the rot set in - solely with the diesel? All that beautiful design and engineering I have enjoyed for 40+ years was just imagined?

I am NOT a rabid diesel fan - I AM a rabid Jag fan - and I really value any and all impartial advice. Is there anyone out there who actually owns a 2.7 S-Type?

Old 12-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

However the 2.7 used in the " S " I believe is far less troublsome than the 2.0/2.2 L diesel used in the X type .. 2.7 Peugeot design, 2.0/2.2 Ford design .

With the greatest respect to this USA based forum , take a look at the Uk Jaguar forum , there is a whole host of Diesel enthusiasts on there & they have a load of useful diesel Info...

Last edited by Five Speed; 12-24-2013 at 03:03 PM.
JimC64 (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Received 6,251 Likes on 5,451 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
WOW!!!

Such enthusiastic opinions designed to help someone doing some pre-purchase research.

Wow again. When did the rot set in - solely with the diesel? All that beautiful design and engineering I have enjoyed for 40+ years was just imagined?

I am NOT a rabid diesel fan - I AM a rabid Jag fan - and I really value any and all impartial advice. Is there anyone out there who actually owns a 2.7 S-Type?
Please understand my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I posted above, it is Christmas!
To be honest there are very few diesel owners on this forum, and for advice on the diesel you would be better asking on the UK forum.

cat_as_trophy (12-25-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

I understood comments on the 2.7D 2007/8 were wanted. It may suffer any of the fairly common faults to the DPF-fitted engine, including (off the cuff, unique to the diesel): problems with turbos, EGR, Webasto heater, high-pressure pump, injectors, glow plugs, cracked exhaust, restricted performance, and so on. I'm sure none of these will be in one test drive. See UK forum and read if interested. The 2007/8 shouldn't have the diff problem or faulty gearbox cooler that destroys the autobox.

Each person typically buys at most one, so will tend to be They're great or They're terrible. Leedsman was an enthusiast until he dumped his hurriedly.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:57 PM

The introduction of the 2.7 diesel killed off the sales of the 2.5 petrol and to a large extent the 3.0. With 206BHP and better fuel consumption, I would not disregard the oil burner at all. They are for the most part bullet proof. Ok DPf's and egr's can be a problematic If not maintained. I used to clean my inlet manifold every 12 months. Regular oil changes/service are essential. My diesels did NOT have the dpf fitted from the factory however I did de-cat them but left the cat box in place so the exhaust system looked factory I never had any problems with any MOT's. To solve / eradicate any egr issues these can also be blanked off and mapped out so no eml light shows on the dash ( this is also beneficial as the engine runs cooler). Engine runaway is a few and far between thing which in reality could happen but rarely does. I believe the 2.7 has a timing belt and not a chain!
The derv has better torque low down with a lower rev range giving better power lower down. There are probably more Derv's on UK roads these days than the petrol variants.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve_Jaggar:
cat_as_trophy (12-25-2013), JimC64 (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

I forgot to add problems with MAFs (it has 2).

Blanking EGR on 2007/8 causes codes. You'd need to remap to hide the work done. (And in UK inform the insurer, as with all engine/performance mods.)

I've read quite a few threads about destroyed 2.7D engines on just the UK forum so they're only semi-rare. Needs a replacement engine so is rather serious. Only affects cars with the DPF-type engine. (This assumes you live to tell the tale!)

It's up to anyone to make their own mind up whether to buy. I advise serious reading rather than an uninformed purchase.

Last edited by JagV8; 12-24-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Five Speed
Diesel economical , but pay at a garage for your tech to keep it running . Petrol not so economical, pay at pumps . Diesel John Deere tractor /Berlin TAXI . Petrol , quiet smooth more fun , less black smoke . Also new UK law ...NO DPF no MOT !!!!!!

You wouldnt put a Juke box in a Cathederal , so why put a Diesel in a Jaguar ... ( Yes I know, the economy, fleet managers & Jag was at deaths door )
Your NOT quite correct about the DPF and the MOT! If a car left the factory without the DPF fitted as standard and it does not have a DPF Fitted it will still pas the MOT.
If a car has the DPF factory fitted then It can be failed if It Has been removed.
However this is a visual check to see if it is still present. If it has went wrong and the guts have been knocked out and the software has been remapped with a DPF delete. Unknown to the owner of course. If the exhaust system looks intact DPF box still in position. Then it will pass the MOT.
PS. The newer diesel engines nowadays are rather quiet and smooth. A test drive will confirm this.

Attached Thumbnails Diesels - Demons or Angels?-20131225_091428.jpg  
Five Speed (12-25-2013)
Old 12-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Thanx everyone for your ideas.

Perhaps I can summarize.

1. My knowledge of diesels is second only to a very wide range of Jaguars - but not this engine in this car - hence the help I seek;
2. English MOT issues are irrelevant to me in Oz; our annual private inspection is of roadworthiness and safety - not engineering design;
3. My work career was in the medico-scientific field so I am very much aware of the benefits of diesel replacing petrol based combustion;
4. In looking for member experiences of this engine/car, I will be far more impressed by scientifically supported fact underlying any opinion;
5. And I must be careful to weigh all against the "tonge in cheek" index that Norri has alerted me to - sorry about that mate.

Two logical conclusions. I have owned, loved, worked on, raced and concourse judged enough Jags over my lifetime to know that this car is not just a beauty - it still smells brand new! Secondly, as many of you have recommended, I will detour across to the UK forums for a broader view.

Many thanx fellas. I will return ...

Norri (12-25-2013)

Quick Reply: Diesels - Demons or Angels?