S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do not ignore that leak - transmission death narrowly averted

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Do not ignore that leak - transmission death narrowly averted

I have not had cause to post here often as my wife's MY03 3.0 with 93K miles has been very well behaved, until recently. She had the oil changed and we started to notice an oil spot on the garage floor where none had been previously. When I asked our local shop who did the oil change they swore up and down that they removed the under tray before the oil change. They put the car on the lift and said that there was a slight weep at the pan gasket. I decided to wait until the next oil change to fix the gasket.

Several weeks go by and the oil spots continue. No change in the engine oil level however. That should have been a tip off, had I been paying attention. Then my wife utters the dreaded words: "the transmission is lurching". It was happening when cold and would come and go. Well, time to change the tranny fluid I think, so I called a local shop not far from my office and scheduled an appointment.. The owner is in the local Jaguar club and came highly recommended. I drop the car off and he calls me soon after with the news that the oil leak was coming from a small crack in the transmission oil pan. Since it was being changed anyways (along with the new style pan bolts) the oil leak problem was solved. The loss of fluid was causing the shifting issue. Now it shifts like new. My wife later recalled that she had bottomed the car in a pot hole during the winter, which may have caused the crack.

The moral: do not ignore oil leaks on these cars. Investigate and get it fixed!

This also the first time that I went to this mechanic. He is a trained Jaguar tech and has the factory tools and computer. So if anyone is looking for a great independent Jag tech in NE Ohio drop me an email and I will send his contact info.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Good advice Andy, at least no permanent damage was done.

Thanks for the recommendation,I'm sure it will help somebody.

I guess the E Type is doing well?

Old 05-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Norri:
I have to admit that I sold it last year. It was a great car, but was a "hangar queen" that I was afraid to use. Plus the dough came in handy for one daughter's wedding and other expenses. Now I get to engage in one of my favorite activities - looking for another. I guess had better change my signature line.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Nothing wrong with selling a vehicle that justs sits around 95% of the time, especially if the money can be put to much better use. I've had that same rule in our household for nearly 15 years now - if we don't drive it at least a couple of times a week, it gets sold or donated. I got sick and tired of having 5 or 6 vehicles to maintain / insure / pay taxes on for years and years, so I cleaned out the stable and never looked back....

Good for you....

Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

We had a customer put a more substantial crack in the pan of a zf6hp26 on a BMW 550i sport. I guess those cars sit lower. Trans fluid was literally running all down the exhaust and burning / smoking off.

The car drove / shifted like someone who didnt know to drive a stick. These pans are REALLY easy to crack. I was just on the phone with Mark, (Blackx300VDP) who is a jag / land rover tech and he advised me not reuse a plastic pan on one of these bc they are brittle and will fail.

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (05-31-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
We had a customer put a more substantial crack in the pan of a zf6hp26 on a BMW 550i sport. I guess those cars sit lower. Trans fluid was literally running all down the exhaust and burning / smoking off.

The car drove / shifted like someone who didnt know to drive a stick. These pans are REALLY easy to crack. I was just on the phone with Mark, (Blackx300VDP) who is a jag / land rover tech and he advised me not reuse a plastic pan on one of these bc they are brittle and will fail.

Take care,

George
...did you say this transmission uses a PLASTIC pan?? Wow - I just bought a 2003 XKR with this transmission and the previous owner had the pan replaced for a crack. The part itself was about $500 from a dealer. I'm not sure but he probably bottomed the car out coming into a parking lot or similar situation. Wondering how often this happens with XKRs....

Thanks for the heads up about this possible disaster.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Very few posts so probably doesn't. Yes plastic for the 6HP26 in the S-Type and seems to cause no problems. Includes the filter etc which is why it not cheap. Don't buy from dealer!! See links on here if you ever need one.