S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU tuning - where are we now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Maybe they'd give a money-back guarantee of measurable gains of at least (say) 20HP since whoever tries it would apparently be the first. It's a pretty expensive tune to take on trust.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Yes it's like getting the SC ported. It should be of help but why is there no real data?

I would pay their price of $1300 for the tune and pulley but it's just too much until I can be sure of what it does.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Maybe they'd give a money-back guarantee of measurable gains of at least (say) 20HP since whoever tries it would apparently be the first. It's a pretty expensive tune to take on trust.
yea... wouldn't count on them offering any guarantees,

I'm sure what will happen is once the dyno proves little to no gains, ECUTG will have an explanation on stand-by, that the tune is very 'adaptive' and you have to give it more time to adjust, that the 'gains' aren't necessarily measurable on the dyno, but in real driving conditions, the tune is doing its thing to gain power, conditions were different, the tune is more to take advantage of more mods you don't have yet, etc, any number of excuses to downplay why you didn't see the gains you were expecting,

Average high-end car owner, who buys a $1,400 tune will easily convince themselves they got something, either power or the ubiquitous claim of 'throttle response', anything, to justify the money they spent. No one wants to admit they just wasted their time and money.
This is the 'emperors new clothes' of blind automotive modding, when it comes to selling super expensive tunes to a crowd that generally spends aimlessly on their high-end european cars. In many cases they convince themselves they got wicked gains that don't translate to any measurable real world results.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Question is, who's going to foot the bill for before-and-after dynos, especially if the gain was less than guaranteed.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

I'd have thought anyone contemplating $1400 or so for a tune could easily afford dynos. If not, don't mod the car...

Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I'd rather spend 2k on a set of custom headers.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 4,446 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I'd rather spend 2k on a set of custom headers.
Well if you do go down that road talk to Count Iblis first, & have a look at my thread "Cheaper Headers Alternative" because the 4-1 design (i.e. Buckhead) is no good for our cars...

Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 PM

I'd have thought anyone contemplating $1400 or so for a tune could easily afford dynos. If not, don't mod the car...
You sound like a shareholder of ECUTG. Wealthy people don't usually own 10-year-old Jags. The rest of us, from time to time, contemplate mods that stretch the budget a bit. Every dollar matters.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 PM

If you're already committed to modding your STR, to the point where you're flashing it with ECU tunes, you have to be prepared to do some additional datalogging and testing on your own. A bit of dyno time with AFR logging would be the responsible thing to do after an 'ecu tune', don't you think?

I happen to agree, if you have $1,400 to drop on an 'ecu tune', another $60 in dyno sessions shouldn't be scaring you. It's the prudent thing to do when you're modding the car for more power really.

Everyone on this forum wants to see bfsgross or tbird or michael star bite the bullet and call up ECUTG for a $1,400 tune and post about the before/after dynos, but everyone is a skeptic and therefore a hold out preventing any objective opinion on it...

Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Wouldn't think twice about it, if I was sure the tuning would work as advertised. Isn't that why few, if any, have tried it so far?

Btw, $60 for a dyno tune? I phoned the shop recommended by the ECU people in Vancouver, and was quoted $150 per session.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a baseline dyno with all my mods except the Mina intake and different resonators on my exhaust. Based on my 1/4 mile times, the intake and resonator change effectively did nothing or it was very little (I shaved .1 off my time with no gain in trap speed, but I also had a DA of about 6600 instead of ~7500). I've been contemplating the tune, but $1k is no small potatoes to me and I don't think I could pull the trigger without some sort of guarantee in gains. I was also leaning towards the Eurotoys tune rather than ECUTG based on that they offer it with the 3# pulley and ECUTG does not (and ECUTG doesn't like to respond to direct questions on this forum). Also, my altitude may affect the tune differently and without knowing for sure, I'd rather not waste a grand.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,171 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R
If you're already committed to modding your STR, to the point where you're flashing it with ECU tunes, you have to be prepared to do some additional datalogging and testing on your own. A bit of dyno time with AFR logging would be the responsible thing to do after an 'ecu tune', don't you think?

I happen to agree, if you have $1,400 to drop on an 'ecu tune', another $60 in dyno sessions shouldn't be scaring you. It's the prudent thing to do when you're modding the car for more power really.
Some people may have the view that running on a dyno is harder on the car than necessary. It is running flat out without the benefit of air movement for cooling.

Everyone on this forum wants to see bfsgross or tbird or michael star bite the bullet and call up ECUTG for a $1,400 tune and post about the before/after dynos, but everyone is a skeptic and therefore a hold out preventing any objective opinion on it...
Any marketer of a closed tune could fix that by stepping up and donating a tune to a reputable veteran member on condition that there be certified, publishable before and after dyno runs under agreed conditions. If a marketer senses that there are 50 potential buyers and it takes giving away one unit to one of the opinion leaders, it would be the sensible thing to do. They could even let bfsgross, tbird, michael star draw straws.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Ah, but whether or not someone wants to pay for dynos is not really the problem. It is the initial $1400 price of entry for what currently amounts to an unproven claim.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM

plums, i agree with your sound business logic, and that marketing idea you suggest makes sense to the rest of us on here, naturally,

I'm sure ECUTG knows this, but chooses NOT to do what you suggest for some reason that is all their own.

Chances are, they are busy making sales and doing business without having to cater to us, oh well, moving on...

Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Some people may have the view that running on a dyno is harder on the car than necessary. It is running flat out without the benefit of air movement for cooling.

Any marketer of a closed tune could fix that by stepping up and donating a tune to a reputable veteran member on condition that there be certified, publishable before and after dyno runs under agreed conditions. If a marketer senses that there are 50 potential buyers and it takes giving away one unit to one of the opinion leaders, it would be the sensible thing to do. They could even let bfsgross, tbird, michael star draw straws.

I agree. There are several folks on this forum who would definitely get a tune done if there was some viable evidence that it worked. I am one of them. I was looking into getting a tune done at the promise of 55 rwhp, but didnt want to throw a grand down the drain. If I were affiliated with ETG, I wouldn't waste any time tuning a senior members STR...if my product worked. Invest 1k..(giving up a free tune), get 30k back ( at least that much as members line up to get it done). Not to mention future members looking to mod out their STR's. I'm just staring to mod my STR and after the Mina intake and cats...I'm hooked! Caldoofy elbow and Mina pulley are next.....within the next 30 days..

Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I am talking to a friend of a friend of mine that is vastly experienced with vw/audi tuning to see what he thinks. Once my car is back together I plan on taking it to him and see. figured it couldn't hurt to see what he can do with it.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member

You need to find a friend who knows tuning for scoobies and evos. Also certain bikes. They use the Denso ecu in 16 and 32 bit versions. For them, it's been cracked wide open for years.

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by plums
You need to find a friend who knows tuning for scoobies and evos. Also certain bikes. They use the Denso ecu in 16 and 32 bit versions. For them, it's been cracked wide open for years.
+1 on this. Some Nissans also run Denso ECUs. When the time comes, this is the direction i'll be going in.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Was going to do one, but with AVOS being so close on the Twin Screw, I decided to wait.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:00 AM

Avos is closer than "so close" the first 4.2L XJR is up & running as of this week.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...e5/#post738402

That's the exact same engine as what's in your STR

Quick Reply: ECU tuning - where are we now?