S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faults on dash

Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faults on dash

I have a 2005 Jag S-type 3.0. Had to change out battery, but still have gearbox fault and park brake fault. Car does not move when I put it in gear. I have looked through the forum but haven't found an answer. Please help.

Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi There,
Were you getting the gearbox and park brake faults before the battery change?
Do you have access to an ODB2 code reader?
Cheers,
Cubist

Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by cubist
Hi There,
Were you getting the gearbox and park brake faults before the battery change?
Do you have access to an ODB2 code reader?
Cheers,
Cubist
Yes, I was getting the faults before the battery change. The battery wasn't holding a charge, so I took it in. Turns out there was a dead cell. It was still under warranty, so I was able to just exchange it. I do not have access to an ODB2 code reader. I asked about one at the auto parts place, but someone had stolen theirs. I have other auto parts dealers around, so that'll be my next stop. The car starts fine since then, but won't move once in gear. I'm ready to be back in my Jag.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

It may be that the two small bolts on the side of the transmission have come loose. When the car is started, does the "P" on the gear selector quadrant light up? Also, your standard auto parts store DTC reader is most likely not going to be able to read/interpret Jaguar proprietary transmission codes. Something like an iCarsoft i930, Snap-on Solus, etc. is needed. The i930 is $114 on Amazon and is a good addition to your toolkit if you are planning on keeping the S-type for a while.

The following users liked this post:
mlstafford (01-16-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 PM

Sorry it took me some time to get back on to respond. Yes, the "P" lights up on the gear selector. I'm unable to see if the bolts you referred to on the transmission have come loose (Physical issues). I will have to get someone to take a look for me and will reply again to let you know if that was the issue.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Have you tried resetting the parking brake?

Electronic Park Brake (EPB)
Re-Calibration Procedure
2003 MY-ON
S-TYPE
M44998-ON

Issue:
On some 2003 MY-on S-TYPE vehicles, a customer may report a concern of premature
parking brake pad wear or the brakes binding. This condition can result if the electronic
park brake (EPB) system is not re-calibrated after the removal of the rear brake calipers
to replace the brake pads.
Action:
Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the calibration
procedure detailed in this bulletin.
1. Reset the EPB module:
a. Switch off the ignition.
b. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. For additional information, refer to STYPE
Workshop Manual Section 414-01.
c. Reconnect the battery.
2. Start the engine.
3. Firmly apply and release the footbrake five times.
4. Confirm that the message ˜NOT CALIBRATED or ˜APPLY FOOT AND PARK
BRAKE is displayed on the instrument cluster message center. This indicates that
the parking brake is in calibration mode.
5. Lightly press the footbrake pedal.
6. Apply the parking brake by using the EPB switch.
7. Release the parking brake.
8. Release the footbrake.
9. Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the instrument
pack and that the ˜NOT CALIBRATED message is no longer displayed in the
message center.
10. Apply and release the EPB five times to ensure no error is present.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

Also, make sure that your "new" battery is fully charged, as often they are not when received "off the shelf". Spurious error codes can be generated any time the batter drops below 12.6 volts and are pretty much a certainty when the charge reaches 12.2 volts.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with all the above but...once you are sure your new battery is fully charged you really do need to get hold of a OBD2 code reader specific to the Jaguar to check out the DTC's particularly for the Gearbox problem. The cheap code readers will only provide the standard codes for the engine so you need one that supports all the controllers used in the S Type (I hesitate to recommend on but I'm told the latest iCarsoft i930 should do the job).

Once you have this and, only when the battery is fully charged and you have completed the procedures to re-set the Windows, EPB etc., hook it up and get the DTCs for the Gearbox and make a note of them. The code reader should also let you clear any DTC's there and then. Once this is done the car will believe there are no problems and should attempt to move off when you select Drive or Select a Gear and Release the Clutch - if it does take it for a short drive, about 200 yards should be enough. If there is a genuine mechanical problem with the Gearbox the warning lights will come back on very quickly in which case check the DTC's again to see what you now have and if they are different to what you found before. Hopefully the warning lights will not come back so just continue enjoying your Jag.

Cheers,
Cubist

The following users liked this post:
mlstafford (03-20-2019)