S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat and Air problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat and Air problem

2001 S-type v8 in the summer I can not get cool air and winter I barely get warm heat. I carried the car to a shop who ran test and did all they knew how to do and could not locate the problem to get ac to give out cold air. Now that Its winter I am barley getting warm air. I took the car to an import shop and he went thru the system and told me a part needed to be replaced that was under the dash and he would have to pull the dash out to get to it and it would cost a bit over 1000 bucks to do . I was very skeptical of his diagnostic procedure and therefore did not let him do the work.
I'm at a loss as I just don't know who to trust and rip me off for something that is minor or reasonable to repair.
can anyone give me any idea of what I'm need to do or check I am not mechanically inclined at all so I need some advise on what to tell someone that I may find to do the work and what needs to be done so I can get a true estimate of repairs. Thanks for any advise offered.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by superpup
a part needed to be replaced that was under the dash and he would have to pull the dash out to get to it and it would cost a bit over 1000 bucks to do . I was very skeptical of his diagnostic procedure and therefore did not let him do the work.
Good call on your part. You have very good reason to have been sceptical of tearing apart the dash.

If he was talking about the Thermal Expansion Valve or evaporator, that would only affect the AC and not the heat. If he was talking about the heater core, that would only affect the heat and not the AC. As far as I know, those are the only parts requiring removal of the dash for access.

Please read through this guide for a long-winded explanation of how the heating and AC system works. Even though you say you are not mechanically inclined, you could still do some of the less techical troubleshooting steps, such as recording duct and line temperatures. Also make note how the system behaves in automatic vs. manual modes, as that will provide some big clues, too:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ol-how-185002/

Keep us posted.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The 3 temp sensors (right, left outlet and Evap) are very important and can give false info to the Climate Control Module. The CCM might have DTCs logged for a guide to where to look for problems. (a place to start diagnosis)

Dealer Level diagnostic equipment is needed to communicate with the CCM but the alternative is to 'throw parts at the car' until something changes. It could get 'pricey' that way!!

bob

Old 01-14-2018, 05:26 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Definitely a good call on not allowing them to proceed with the repair.

+1 with Motorcarman..... the temp sensors have been a common known issue within the A/C System, particularly the EVAP one. Common codes I've seen are B1946/B1947 logged.

Also - another common issue that causes Heat and A/C issues is the dual heater control valve. When looking at engine from front of vehicle, it will be down left side of radiator fan assembly. These are very common to fail, and sometimes take out the A/C control module with it. However the valve isn't that bad to do, and you don't have to buy genuine, there are other suppliers. As for the module, if this has failed, it can be repaired without having to buy a new one.

If you're able to check temps of the hoses, etc, as kr98664 stated, that will help.
If after this you aren't certain as to what the issue may be, you may need to take to dealer or independent who has SDD to check codes.