S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heated Windshield

I just need some clarification on the heated windshield option. What exactly is this? Is it an electrified windshield (like a rear defroster) or is it just heated washer jets? Also, was this bundled in an option package and what should I look for to see if I have this option? I know Ford offered something like this on the Taurus back in the 80's and it wasn't a big seller. Replacement cost were very high. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The Ford version was called Instaclear and used a metal film between the glass layers. Easy to tell because the outside reflection was different compared to the stock non-heated version.

Jaguar used a different system which is a series of very fine wires embedded in the glass. Kind of like an aircraft heated windshield if you have ever seen one. So you can just look carefully for the wires to see if your car has it. That option is very rare in the US. Seems to be more common in Canada and Europe. Not sure if it was included in a cold weather package or just a stand-alone option. I do know it was listed as a separate option in the 2005 S-Type literature that I have.

Be aware the S-Type comes standard with heated windshield wiper rests. In other words look for something like the rear defroster grid lines. You will see they are in-line where the wipers rest. This is NOT a heated windshield although some glass shops will list it as such. Also if replacing a windshield make sure to get this. I have found there is an aftermarket version without the heated rests. Cheaper but not correct.

The following 3 users liked this post by tbird6:
joycesjag (09-09-2011), Panthro (06-28-2012), pastype (02-10-2012)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also, the heated windshield will have a button control in the center console...probably near the button for the rear window (ours is) and marked very similar....little wavy lines and a F.

I've got a heated windscreen and it isn't cited on the maroney. This is true of the rear foglights as well. <shrug>

Our car did seem to be built for Canada but ended up in NJ as a lease.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Toller

Our car did seem to be built for Canada but ended up in NJ as a lease.
If so, it would have big numbers on the speedo in KM/HR and little inner numbers for mph.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
If so, it would have big numbers on the speedo in KM/HR and little inner numbers for mph.
That stands to reason and from that, the car was always destined for the US. If the car is for the English market, I suppose the speedo reads Furlongs/fortnight.

Anyway, this makes it even more of a mystery. Neither the heated windshield nor the rear fog lights are mentioned on the window sticker from Jaguar either as items or as a "package" or option group.

It's as if somebody at the factory just decided that this car needed the items just because....

Old 09-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Nope. Chains/month

Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My UK car has the heated front screen and heated seats plus heated steering wheel, the original invoice lists it as 'Winter Pack'

Old 09-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I've got those - but not the invoice!

Heated door mirrors (and washers etc), too.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the heated shield on my Rover. Dang if it isn't distracting in the sunlight (the little squiggly lines). I've replaced it twice, it's not much more than a non-heated version. Glass coverage is a wonderful thing though, didn't pay for either.

Anyway I hope Jag did a better job with the wires than their cohorts over at LR. Works wonderfully I will say that.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 PM

The Jaguar has really fine filaments and the windshield is slanted enough that the eye can only focus on a narrow small band at any one time. When the eye is focusing on things beyond the hood, the eye can't focus at the distance of the filaments. The result is that the filaments are the closest thing there is to invisible.

See the attachment to message 15 in thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ackages-38633/

I made a mistake. The car was originally shipped to Miami with a "Cold Weather Package" priced at $300. When it was sold off the lease it went to a auction house in NJ and was purchased by my dealer. That's why I thought is was originally destined for NJ. However, it's even stranger that it had the cold weather package going to Miami.

Last edited by Toller; 09-11-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

Old people live in FL, when they visit thier grandkids up in WI they wanted the Cold Weather Package... so they ordered it. Jag shipped it. Then the old people being old realized that they would only visit WI in the Summer so would not need to spend the $300 on the Cold Weather Package and could by more denture cream and moth *****. Dah!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Snowbirds do the funniest things. That was also what I was thinking SchultzLD....except for the denture cream and moth *****. Thinking more of the 2:30pm steak dinner at Old Country Buffet.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello,

I own a S-Type and is equipped with an heated windshield. This windshield is a Ford patent, and is also foreseen in European Ford.

See also this movie:Ford QuickClear heated windscreen - YouTube

Ciao William

Old 09-13-2011, 06:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for clearing this up for me. It appears that I only have the heated wiper park, rather than the heated windshield.

Now, one last question...since I have the heated windshield park, do I also have heated washer jets? If so, do I need special fluid? I currently refilled the tank with Rain-x 2in1. I'm sure there is a small amount of alcohol in it to clear ice, but probably not enough to be effected by a small amount of heat. Your thoughts?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Use whatever fluid you would choose for any other vehicle. Nothing special.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

I don't believe heated washer jets was a common option, unlikely that you have them IMHO. Even if you do like Mikey said they don't require any special handling.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pastype
Thanks for clearing this up for me. It appears that I only have the heated wiper park, rather than the heated windshield.

Now, one last question...since I have the heated windshield park, do I also have heated washer jets? If so, do I need special fluid? I currently refilled the tank with Rain-x 2in1. I'm sure there is a small amount of alcohol in it to clear ice, but probably not enough to be effected by a small amount of heat. Your thoughts?
LOL , nice choice of words “clearing” up! That’s exactly the function of a heated windshield.

Ciao William

Old 09-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wcabro
This windshield is a Ford patent, and is also foreseen in European Ford.
Oh yeah, my Ford Granada had the heated front screen in 1986, they were class leading back in those days.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by wcabro
Hello,

I own a S-Type and is equipped with an heated windshield. This windshield is a Ford patent, and is also foreseen in European Ford.

See also this movie:Ford QuickClear heated windscreen - YouTube

Ciao William
Mine doesn't resemble the video. The filiments in my windshield are only about 1/4 inch apart so they melt the ice very quickly and uniformly. First you see it, then, >poof< it's gone. The glass is made by Pilkington.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation There are at least 3 options to consider when ordering STR windshields

Originally Posted by tbird6
Be aware the S-Type comes standard with heated windshield wiper rests. In other words look for something like the rear defroster grid lines. You will see they are in-line where the wipers rest. This is NOT a heated windshield although some glass shops will list it as such. Also if replacing a windshield make sure to get this. I have found there is an aftermarket version without the heated rests. Cheaper but not correct.
Actually, I just found out that earlier models like my 2004 S-Type R (STR) did not come with the heated wiper rests standard. It has a rain sensor and the electronically controlled dimming mirror, but it is not heated in any way.

Yes, I did have the original windshield. That is until yesterday, when a rock on the highway cracked the passenger side beyond repair.

It's very important to highlight the 3 OPTIONS related to the windshield when ordering replacement service. EACH OF THESE WILL AFFECT WHICH P/N IS ORDERED AS A REPLACEMENT.

1) Heated or non-heated.
2) Rain sensor or no rain sensor.
3) Electronically controlled auto dimming mirror.

I imagine that the heated wiper parking is a 4th option, but would need outside verification.

I'm learning this the hard way because the SafeLite mobile service tech just brought the wrong windshield. In his system, "all S-Type windscreens w rain sensors are also heated." He just found out he was wrong.

Approximate cost for part:
$525.42 = windshield, w/rain sensor, w/elec. dimming mirror, w/o heated glass
$676.62 = windshield, w/rain sensor, w/elec. dimming mirror, w/heated glass

SafeLite is coming back tomorrow, hopefully with the right part. I will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Heated Windshield