S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does Safelite use the original Pilkington glass or an aftermarket spinoff?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

In my experience the Safelite replacement glass was not the same as the OEM brand (in my Rover and X-Type). Anecdotally, it seemed like the replacement glass in my X-Type was softer than the original glass - seemed to pit easier and crack easier. I went through a total of 4 on my X-type - the OEM, then 3 aftermarket replacements. Ridiculous.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by pastype
"Aftermarket Spinoffs" - I had my wife's 03 Honda Accord windshield replaced by them - nothing but trouble - they didn't seal the windshield correctly, water seeps in and sets off all the little electrical gremlins (rear door ajar light on dash, alarm going off at 3am in the morning after a heavy rain, etc) - I have the heated windshield in my 00 S Type and have pits in my windshield but refuse to get it changed....

Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pastype
Well Safelite did come back the next day and I watched the installation. They used the original Pilkington glass acquired from a local Jaguar parts warehouse.

Overall the glass installation went well, but they did mess up the base of the electrically actuated (and auto dimming) rear view mirror. It would shake uncontrollably as I drove home a few hours later. So I called them the next day and they are replacing it under their lifetime warranty, again with a genuine Jaguar part #. So far the technicians have been very professional about everything. I'll see them again on Monday...

Other notes:

I did notice that my original Pilkington glass did not have any heating elements inside the base of the windshield for the "wiper parking." But apparently all of the replacement units are equiped with them, so I asked the technician to connect the unused power cables already present in the A_pillar wiring harness. The elements are hidden underneath the black area at the base of the windshield, so yes, they are not visible from outside in any way.

I also found the upper connectors for the fully heated windshield available up higher in the A-pillar while I was checking everything out. So the car is pre-wired for everything. If you live in a colder location than I do and choose to upgrade to the fully heated windshield after any damage, it is feasible to install it. Just know it costs about $180 more than the unheated version.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
"Aftermarket Spinoffs" - I had my wife's 03 Honda Accord windshield replaced by them - nothing but trouble - they didn't seal the windshield correctly, water seeps in and sets off all the little electrical gremlins (rear door ajar light on dash, alarm going off at 3am in the morning after a heavy rain, etc) - I have the heated windshield in my 00 S Type and have pits in my windshield but refuse to get it changed....
Keep in mind that your experience was on a very common high volume vehicle platform. That means a lot of aftermarket companies are competing to supply parts for that population of cars.

Jaguars are FAR less common, by several orders of magnitude. So it's far less likely that any aftermarket companies want to tool-up to create replacement parts--until they become collectible.

On a side note, I worked in a body shop during my high school years, long before my days as an automotive engineer. That shop used Safelite to repair and replace windshields fairly often without any issues. I would guesstimate that 90% of their replacement job orders used dealer acquired factory windshields. That's why I called them. And at the risk of sounding like a radio ad, they've been around a long time so they can afford to offer a solid warranty and back it up.

If you go with another local company, just make sure they've been around for at least 10 years or so. Otherwise they might not be around when you have a problem 2-3 years after the initial repair/replacement.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 AM

I just called SafeLite this morning about replacing my windshield (I have some rock chips in it) - I was quoted almost $600 for an "aftermarket" windshield and when I asked if they use the Plinkerton glass the rep simply stated "no".

I asked about OEM and of course the quote jumped to $900 + $25.00 if they come to the house to do the install.

I can understand OEM but $600 for an inferior aftermarket windshield - I don't think so!

Old 07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

... have pits in my windshield but refuse to get it changed....
ditto.

It's just never the same afterwards even if the OEM glass is used.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

... I asked if they use the Plinkerton glass ...
Shoot, I'm blown away by that!!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Shoot, I'm blown away by that!!
Right on target...

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Chris X
In my experience the Safelite replacement glass was not the same as the OEM brand (in my Rover and X-Type). Anecdotally, it seemed like the replacement glass in my X-Type was softer than the original glass - seemed to pit easier and crack easier. I went through a total of 4 on my X-type - the OEM, then 3 aftermarket replacements. Ridiculous.
Again, your X-type is far more common in the U.S. and EU than the S-type, so yes, aftermarket glass is more readily available. You can still request OEM glass. You get what you pay for. It's worth it just to avoid the headache of dealing with sub-standard aftermarket parts.

Last edited by Classic_Engr; 07-03-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:37 PM

I just called SafeLite this morning about replacing my windshield (I have some rock chips in it) - I was quoted almost $600 for an "aftermarket" windshield and when I asked if they use the Plinkerton glass the rep simply stated "no".

I asked about OEM and of course the quote jumped to $900 + $25.00 if they come to the house to do the install.

I can understand OEM but $600 for an inferior aftermarket windshield - I don't think so!
I know you meant Pilkington, but in any case your experience is interesting. The aftermarket glass I was offered initially was quoted around $380, but I insisted on OEM glass or no deal. I also gave them the max price I was willing to pay, or no deal. I told them the prices I found just for the parts online, so don't B.S. me. It was just a little more than your initial quote for aftermarket glass. So they gave in on the price.

I've had no problems with the new OEM glass. Then again I made it a point to minimize driving of this car for 3 days after the work was completed. Even when I did drive it was very carefully on smooth roads. They say the epoxy is ready after 2 hours, but it really takes 24-48 hours to fully cure depending upon local temperatures and how much epoxy was required. It needs to expand and contract a few times before it finally settles. This is a big reason why people have complaints after a windshield replacement. They drive the car "as usual" right after the repair.

I'm still waiting for my new rear view mirror. I had an appt today but they never called, so I called SafeLite customer service. They said they forgot to call me and tell me they won't have the mirror until Thursday. Like I said, their technicians were great. They were windshield experts and knew their stuff, but their centralized customer service team doesn't seem to be well organized, and only know what they see on their computer screen. They are not windshield experts in any way.

Last edited by Classic_Engr; 07-03-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by plums
ditto.

It's just never the same afterwards even if the OEM glass is used.
IF that is the case, then either 1) it wasn't installed properly or 2) the car was driven too hard too soon after the replacement or, least likely, 3) there was a pre-existing structural issue with the body that doesn't allow the window to settle into its proper place. Perhaps from an earlier accident.

Go back and tell them to get it right. That's what the warranty is for.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM

Yes...Pilkington... that's what happens when I come to the forum BEFORE having my first cup of coffee in the morning...

Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks for your feedback. When I am ready to give in to getting the windshield I will be calling SafeLite back again pushing for an OEM replacement...

Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Classic_Engr
Then again I made it a point to minimize driving of this car for 3 days after the work was completed. Even when I did drive it was very carefully on smooth roads. They say the epoxy is ready after 2 hours, but it really takes 24-48 hours to fully cure depending upon local temperatures and how much epoxy was required. It needs to expand and contract a few times before it finally settles. This is a big reason why people have complaints after a windshield replacement. They drive the car "as usual" right after the repair.
All of the adhesive/sealant manufacturers quote "drive away time" in their specifications. It varies greatly depending on the sealant selected by the installer and ambient temperatures.

The absolute best thing might be to ask that the vehicle be the last job of the day, and that it remain in the bay overnight. They can move it out to the parking lot the next morning. Then, don't pick it up until late the next day.

Some car has to be the last job of the day ... it might as well be yours. And, it marks you as someone who cares and is knowledgable.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

IF that is the case, then either 1) it wasn't installed properly or 2) the car was driven too hard too soon after the replacement or, least likely, 3) there was a pre-existing structural issue with the body that doesn't allow the window to settle into its proper place. Perhaps from an earlier accident.

Go back and tell them to get it right. That's what the warranty is for.
The problem is that the factory method cannot be fully duplicated in the field. Especially considering that glass replacement is essentially piece work that encourages time saving short cuts. The windshield and backlight are structural elements that are best left undisturbed unless absolutely necessary.

A glass replacement can be optically and cosmetically perfect, but still have structural deficiencies attributable to materials and technique that are undetectable by even the most knowlegable consumer short of destroying the work that was just done.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member

Again, your X-type is far more common in the U.S. and EU than the S-type, so yes, aftermarket glass is more readily available. You can still request OEM glass. You get what you pay for. It's worth it just to avoid the headache of dealing with sub-standard aftermarket parts.
Have had the same issue with the Rover glass FWIW. I pay the same regardless ($0 - full glass coverage). I've requested OEM glass for the Rover and when I had the X and didn't get it either time. Point being, (your) location and availability at the time of repair may vary what you can actually get for replacement glass, in my experience.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by plums
The problem is that the factory method cannot be fully duplicated in the field. Especially considering that glass replacement is essentially piece work that encourages time saving short cuts. The windshield and backlight are structural elements that are best left undisturbed unless absolutely necessary.

A glass replacement can be optically and cosmetically perfect, but still have structural deficiencies attributable to materials and technique that are undetectable by even the most knowlegable consumer short of destroying the work that was just done.
Oh brother. The same can be said about many other aspects of a vehicle repair. You can never fully duplicate the factory method of installation in many instances. At the factory, cylinder head bolts are torqued down simultaneously and in stages to achieve the proper bolt load by automated robots. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't replace a leaking head gasket, does it? Body panels are never the same after even a small crash. But should you just leave the damage as-is? No, you just get it fixed properly but quickly, pay up, and move on.

Look, no one said you have to replace the glass if you don't want to, especially if it only has a few small chips. You can simply have the chips repaired and save yourself a lot of dough. That's your decision, just make it.

But when a rock smashed a quarter-sized hole through both sides of my windshield, I couldn't afford to be so delicate about the matter. I accepted the situation, had the glass replaced properly, and paid up so I could move on and focus on more important things. I love my Jag, but it's car, not my body, and a windshield, not my kidney.

Last edited by Classic_Engr; 07-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 AM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Classic, that's a fantastic response. Sometimes people take getting repairs done a little too serious and don't take time and money into consideration. Never had to have a windshield replaced, but taking your car to professionals and following their advice don't seem as problematic as some made it seem.

Last edited by JbB; 07-05-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

It can be a roll of the dice I think is what some are trying to point out. For example, they sent 1 tech to replace the glass on my Rover. That's a huge windshield for one guy to manipulate. He got the glass in, but I drove it down the street and the top finisher strip flew off. Then I found that he only re-installed half of the screws that hold the firewall cover/lower finishing panel on, and there was an audible air leak in the lower right hand corner. Add some smudgy fingerprints left on my A-pillars to top things off.

Even if you have the right part, or the best part, the skill of the installer comes into the equation. This stuff is like an art to me, there are some guys who are incredibly good and you'd never know it wasn't the original glass, and then you have some that just are not as talented. Some people are good at their jobs, some not so much.

With that being said, whenever I've complained about something to Safelite, their customer service has been decent and they have always made things right in the end.

Quick Reply: Heated Windshield