S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Gear Selector Lever Broken and Now Stuck in Park!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP! Gear Selector Lever Broken and Now Stuck in Park!

My 2000 3.0 S-Type has the dredded "difficulty to disengage from park on a incline" issue. I was using the parking brake work-around but for some reason today, it didn't help.

I was unable to disengage from park and I must have put a little too much force on the selector lever. Now the selector lever can freely go in all positions while I'm stuck in Park.

I would like to get the car to my local Jag dealer but I'm stuck in Park. What can I do?

Sincerely,
Jim

Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Gear Selector Lever Broken and Now Stuck in Park!

Flatbed tow truck. They'll stick some dollys under the rear wheels.

Or B they will tow it *** end in the air with some crappy rope around the steering wheel. One is cheaper, one is not.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I got out of park!

I had to remove the center console where I noticed that the shift lever uses a ball and socket joint to connect to the shift cable/rod and the socket broke (plastic). I had to have a friend rock the car (with the brakes and parking brake off or it wouldn't rock) and using a screwdriver, I was able to move it into Drive relatively easily.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats
sounds alot like whatwe do at the dealer when theyre towedin lol
irecomendgetting the park paw replaced when you have the shifter box and shifter cable replaced

Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is "park paw" the actual name of the part? (part #?) Also, is that an internal part of the tranny?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snooktarpon
My 2000 3.0 S-Type has the dredded "difficulty to disengage from park on a incline" issue. I was using the parking brake work-around but for some reason today, it didn't help.

I was unable to disengage from park and I must have put a little too much force on the selector lever. Now the selector lever can freely go in all positions while I'm stuck in Park.

I would like to get the car to my local Jag dealer but I'm stuck in Park. What can I do?

Sincerely,
Jim
Hey i experienced the same problem yesterday. I broke the shifter when it wouldnt come out of park. How did u go about handling this problem?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Just read the previous posts

Some searches will turn up data, too.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Call ken at motorcars, they make a replacement piece for the shifter out of metal to replace the broken plastic piece. Its about $125. Forget the park pawl fix, its expensive and really have never "fixed" a stype with this repair. Just always back up an incline so the movement is forward away ferom the pawl, and use the "park brake" before you take your foot off the brake and place in park.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 AM

im sorry, how do i contact them? I'm in California. I put the car in a Foreign and Domestic shop today so by tomorrow hes gonna let me know everything that is wrong... i fear that there is more issues with my car because now the battery keeps dying since i broke the parking break, and some say it may be electrical

Old 06-02-2010, 03:32 AM

i meant since i broke the "gear shifter" not parking break....

Old 06-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatemystype
im sorry, how do i contact them?

and some say it may be electrical

ken@britishparts.com

and who are some?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Only have them replace the piece in the shifter, your battery issue is cause the car wont go to sleep(more than likely) since you basicly have a gear box fault. Ie...shifter and trans not showing the same position. Or you may have a weak battery which will also not let the car go to sleep(modules stay awake and pull amps) so it just keeps running down the battery. I would put the battery on a overnight slow charge and go from there, or if over 4 years old replace it regardless.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Default "the dreaded can't get it out of park when on a incline"to fix it

how do you fix this problem permanently?? I understand about the parking brake and backing in ...but how to you fix it????

Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts
The following users liked this post:
audreysue57 (03-05-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Default had same shifter problem - easy to fix!

had the same problem on 2000 S-Type 3.0L....stuck in park. Other threads should show same info....they use cheap plastic shifter block under the gear shift lever, and when it gets stuck and you force it, you'll snap the bracket and then the shifter will move freely but you can't get it out of park.

Replace with aluminum after-market shifter block to prevent problem from ever occurring again. Its about a 20-minute fix even if you are marginally mechanically inclined. Have to remove the center console top section, then 4 screws for the console itself - slides right out. Then 4 screws to remove side bracket of the shifter assembly to get to the shifter block. Pull out the slide bar that goes through it, replace with aluminum aftermarket part, and reassemble.

Found mine on eBay, about $100. DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE BROKEN PIECE THAT IS PROBABLY STILL UNDER THE SHIFT LEVER! It will cause the shifter to get stuck again, but only because its lodged in there and it can't move! Had this problem and had to go back in to take it out....works fine now, now problem!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 PM

I had no idea this was an issue and I was parked at an incline and I basically forced the shifter into reverse. Now the shifter is really loose but does move up and down. If moved when in D gear it will flip to the N position. Is this dangerous and what part(s) would I have to replace? Thanks for your help

Old 07-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Car details? (But problem probably covered by the TSB.)

Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Default link to aluminum shifter block replacement

here's the ebay link I used to get the aluminum replacement shifter block....problem no more! Keep in mind there could be other things going on that are similar issues, but if you have the plastic OEM shifter block, it WILL break someday!

Jaguar S Type Transmission SHIFTER Block XR817754 ALUMI | eBay

Old 02-16-2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by shaolinmaster2b
had the same problem on 2000 S-Type 3.0L....stuck in park. Other threads should show same info....they use cheap plastic shifter block under the gear shift lever, and when it gets stuck and you force it, you'll snap the bracket and then the shifter will move freely but you can't get it out of park.

Replace with aluminum after-market shifter block to prevent problem from ever occurring again. Its about a 20-minute fix even if you are marginally mechanically inclined. Have to remove the center console top section, then 4 screws for the console itself - slides right out. Then 4 screws to remove side bracket of the shifter assembly to get to the shifter block. Pull out the slide bar that goes through it, replace with aluminum aftermarket part, and reassemble.

Found mine on eBay, about $100. DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE BROKEN PIECE THAT IS PROBABLY STILL UNDER THE SHIFT LEVER! It will cause the shifter to get stuck again, but only because its lodged in there and it can't move! Had this problem and had to go back in to take it out....works fine now, now problem!
Hi! I have the same issue, the replacement part came today.. but I can't seem to be able to remove the centre console.. any pointers you can give would be greatly appreciated

I have a 2000 S Type V8

Thank you!!

Old 02-16-2021, 07:59 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Open the console lid and pull the handbrake up HARD.
Grab the console top section with both hands and pull up HARD.
I usually put a hand with fingers inside the cubby and thumb outside to get a grip.

You will hear little metal clips falling inside the console area. Try to find as many as you can for reassembly.

Quick Reply: HELP! Gear Selector Lever Broken and Now Stuck in Park!