S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Sourcing a Re-Man Torque Convertor For My STR

Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I think you are asking me? I am wondering if my TCC is malfunctioning, it is hard to find good info on the internet about symptoms. My post in the XK8/XKR forum explains my symptoms. While my car is a 2004 and should not be within the range of the known bad Torque Converter Clutch linings, it doesn't mean I couldn't have a problem with the TCC anyhow...
Do you have a torque converter code? That usually happens at the very end of the process.

Is the TC flashing just right after a cold start at a low rpm? Do the rpms rev up and down while going at a constant speed?

Does the car hesitate in the overdrive gears especially going up hill in the lower rpm range?

Finally does it sound like the car has a breaking up exhaust note in the overdrive gears while accelerating? Kinda sounds like exhaust plus shaking rocks in a plastic cup.

Those are all the symptoms I had before it threw the code and it finally let go.

The following users liked this post:
ONEsicJAG (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by rasputin
Do you have a torque converter code? That usually happens at the very end of the process.

No codes using my OBD reader, but I have wondered if I would see transmission codes at all with it. No MIL lights on dash.

Is the TC flashing just right after a cold start at a low rpm? No

Do the rpms rev up and down while going at a constant speed? I notice this when the engine is cold, and if the sport mode is off and I am driving out of my neighborhood which takes about 5 mins. When in sport mode, it goes away. It has been like this for about 30k miles and never has worsened.

Does the car hesitate in the overdrive gears especially going up hill in the lower rpm range? Intermittently I experience a slight surging, sometimes more noticeable than other times. The best way to describe it is as if I took my foot off the gas and back on again really quickly, quicker than is possible actually. So I get this at steady speed. I also sometimes notice at slight throttle pressure to barely speed up it may do this, but never when I push further on the throttle, seems like only with light throttle.

Finally does it sound like the car has a breaking up exhaust note in the overdrive gears while accelerating? Kinda sounds like exhaust plus shaking rocks in a plastic cup. This is interesting because on a recent 2 hour trip on the freeway I thought that intermittently I could sort of hear something like this, but it was so subtle and other road and wind noise was drowning it out that I just couldn't be sure I was hearing anything, but I did even ask my wife if she was hearing something, but it is unlikely she would ever notice noises and said no.

Those are all the symptoms I had before it threw the code and it finally let go.
My responses in-line above....I guess I need to wait until it gets worse? Is there any way to test?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

The other option would be to take it to a place that has IDS or a new Jag computer where try can pull the history on the codes. However, it will only create a torque converter code once the TC and the transmission spin at different speeds; this occurred for me at 65k miles. Unfortunately this issue is a huge PITA and frustrating that we are left with the bill, but at least you came to the right place to get help.