Sponsored by:

I am an IDIOT! :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Default I am an IDIOT! :)

Thought I would share this.

Joyce is out of town all week and I figured it would be a great time to get some recalls done over at Scott Jaguar. Finally getting around to the fuel tank issue and also an emissions software upgrade, I'll know more about that later.

As some of the members here, when we purchased our vehicle it came with 1 switchblade key and that is it. Well I figured we would would finally get around to buying and programing another switchblade. Well today is the day.

As most know SC STR (Chris) his vehicle had been totalled, well I inquired about his back up switchblade, he still had it and I picked it up last night to have a blade and get programed while at Scott Jaguar.

I AM AN IDIOT!

I had our 1 key in the ignition (car not runninng) and I was just about to get in it to take to Scott. I thought hmmm, "I wonder" I stuck Chris's key in the drivers door and "click" the vehicle locked, OH shhiiipoop! Nope if you are asking yourself if I turned the key, I just stuck it in the drivers door lock.

Long story, I went to Scott and was going to have Chris's blade replaced with a new cut blade, Scott was out of blades, but 2 were coming in today well for who Wayne (parts guy) said well for you, damn struck out again.

Wayne said I could get a standard black key only cut for $100.00, umm no not an option. I inquired about a green valet key (again we never had one), Scott had 1 in stock, I had it cut ($60.00) and will be programmed along with our 2 "new" switchblades. Alls well that ends well, I guess.

Long live SC STR atleast the key FOB

On a side note, I was really quite handy with a coat hanger on vehicles that were locked with keys in them. I will tell you, not going to happen with these S Types, impossible!

Yours truly,

an Idiot

Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,301 Likes on 2,824 Posts

Don't beat yourself up, Rick. You just did a little experimenting, that's all. But next time, make sure your original key is safely in your pocket before you decide to penetrate your door lock with a strange key....

I must admit that there have been a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention and nearly stuck my XK8 key into the S-Type's ignition switch. Caught myself just in time because the S-Type key fob is the switchblade style whereas the XK8 key fob is not. My stream-of-conciousness kicked in and made me realize I had not clicked open the S-Type key, so I quickly pulled the XK8 key away just before insertion....

Are you doing the fuel tank recall because Joyce's fuel tank is leaking at the filler tube? That's the usual symptom. Our S-Type had this recall done before we purchased it....

Is the emissions software upgrade the J004 action?

Last edited by Jon89; 01-29-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

haha that was great! Better you than me though!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Rick, I broke into a cold sweat on your behalf just thinking about what happened!

I now realize just how lucky I was - when my eBay '05 STR arrived from California, it had 2 switchblade keys and a valet key. I tested them all immediately, one at a time separately, but now wonder what would have happened...

Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Rick,

That's at least a two beer story. A couple of years ago I bought just the switchblade as a backup. Luckily I tested it out at the dealer and found out that it turned the locking mechanisms OK but no luck on the ignition. It turned out the dealer had to dick with the programming to get it to work.

My idiot story was about 30 years ago when I had a GS750 Suzuki. I was changing the fork oil and didn't jack up the front end. One fork, no problem. When I drained the second fork, the forks naturally collapsed and pinned my leg between them and the exhaust header. Luckily: 1. The header wasn't hot otherwise I would have gotten branded and 2. Nobody was watching. I managed to lever the bike off my leg and propped it against a railing so I could get a jack from my car. Total beer consumed: three Coors.

Last edited by carelm; 01-29-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Rick, I also need another key...and now I don't want to leave my house. LOL! Just kidding. We all got stories.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

haha theres nothing worse than doing something silly with no one to blame but yourself.

atleast it wasnt anything serious

Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Received 4,197 Likes on 3,658 Posts

thanks for the laugh Rick - I'm sure we all have our uh oh moments - I know I do.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Next time you might want to try Uptown Imports. I had them program my new remote for $70.00 and it works perfectly.

Uptown Imports Charlotte, North Carolina

Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Jon becareful with those keys.

Originally Posted by Jon89
Are you doing the fuel tank recall because Joyce's fuel tank is leaking at the filler tube? That's the usual symptom. Our S-Type had this recall done before we purchased it....

Is the emissions software upgrade the J004 action?
Actually, we don't have a problem with the fuel tank issue. I had forgotten all about the recall for us anyways. I got the notice (like we all did) last month about some service or another and that reminded me, better get the vehicle in before we do have a problem.

See next line.

Our service man called me this afternoon GET THIS--> there are no more parts available for the gas tank recall in North America! I will talk with him tomorrow and find out what the skinny is.

I believe its the J004 emissions upgrade.

Originally Posted by carelm
Rick,

That's at least a two beer story.

My idiot story was about 30 years ago when I had a GS750 Suzuki. I was changing the fork oil and didn't jack up the front end. One fork, no problem. When I drained the second fork, the forks naturally collapsed and pinned my leg between them and the exhaust header. Luckily: 1. The header wasn't hot otherwise I would have gotten branded and 2. Nobody was watching. I managed to lever the bike off my leg and propped it against a railing so I could get a jack from my car. Total beer consumed: three Coors.
Mike, you can count on it that the Busch Lites will be flowing Friday afternoon when Joyce returns.

As far as the bike story, were those 3 Coors drank before the second fork?

Everyone else, I guess we all kinda mess up now and then. Jon put it best, I was just experimenting".

Originally Posted by NvmyJag
Next time you might want to try Uptown Imports. I had them program my new remote for $70.00 and it works perfectly.

Uptown Imports Charlotte, North Carolina
Shipoop again, wish I knew about them. I can't wait to see the invoice for just the keys tomorrow.

Last edited by joycesjag; 01-29-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Nvmy
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Rick you should have called me!

I could have fedex you down my set of door tools!

For future reference:

You need two wedges in the door jamb of an s-type one at the top corner of the door, and one at the base of the B pillar between the doors. Then take a hanger with a loop on the end. Use a needle nose to make a loop about 2" in diameter. Use duct tape to close the loop - you dont want that sharp edge catching the door panel. Put a T handle on the other side of the hanger so you can rotate it.

Go in perpandicular to the door from the edge of the b pillar. Only way to do it is to grab the actual door pull and pull first pull should unlock the door.

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-02-2015)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Jon becareful with those keys.

Actually, we don't have a problem with the fuel tank issue. I had forgotten all about the recall for us anyways. I got the notice (like we all did) last month about some service or another and that reminded me, better get the vehicle in before we do have a problem.

See next line.

Our service man called me this afternoon GET THIS--> there are no more parts available for the gas tank recall in North America! I will talk with him tomorrow and find out what the skinny is.

I believe its the J004 emissions upgrade.

Mike, you can count on it that the Busch Lites will be flowing Friday afternoon when Joyce returns.

As far as the bike story, were those 3 Coors drank before the second fork?

Everyone else, I guess we all kinda mess up now and then. Jon put it best, I was just experimenting".

Shipoop again, wish I knew about them. I can't wait to see the invoice for just the keys tomorrow.
Rick,

The beers were after I finished the job. Wrestling with a 500 lb motorcycle was hard work and I needed to cool off.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

George, I went the 2 wedge route in the B pillar. I used wood door framing wedges wrapped a couple of times with masking tape. The problem was theres a good chance of kinking the SS door pillar covers. Also tried the window to door frame, and also the door itself. After about an hour and a half I decided to go the new key route, I knew I had been beaten.

Mike, it takes more than 3 Busch Lites for me to "cool off"!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Mike, it takes more than 3 Busch Lites for me to "cool off"!
Try real beer then. Skull splitter Ale.

Attached Thumbnails I am an IDIOT! :)-orkney-skull-splitter-2.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 6,271 Likes on 5,468 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Try real beer then. Skull splitter Ale.

Believe it or not I have a house about two miles from the original brewery in the old Sandwick schoolhouse, my dads family went to school there.
I'm sure they have moved onto bigger things now. (The brewery that is)

Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thats ironic Norri, was it the beer of choice back then. Sheesh 8.5% alcohol, I believe that I would feel like the label guy on half a beer.

Ok kinda back on topic (sorta') who cares anyways.

Is there a special place in the glove box for the valet key or does it just flop to the bottom of the box?

Man only 2 more nights til Busch Lite time!!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:15 PM

Too strong for me, I like an IPA with some flavour but not super high alcohol levels.
I was in Rock Bottom the other night and they have introduced a double IPA, 9%, they won't sell it at happy hour rices and won't serve it in their big mugs. What's the point?

Last edited by Norri; 01-30-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Believe it or not I have a house about two miles from the original brewery in the old Sandwick schoolhouse, my dads family went to school there.
I'm sure they have moved onto bigger things now. (The brewery that is)
I've got a few bottles of Skull Splitter tucked away for those very cold winter nights we get. Nothing like a world-class Scotch Ale to educate the palate on the taste of malt barley.

Just out of curiosity, would you know anybody with the family names of either Ward or MacCleod in the Orkneys? Just playing the 'six degrees of separation' game.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I've got a few bottles of Skull Splitter tucked away for those very cold winter nights we get. Nothing like a world-class Scotch Ale to educate the palate on the taste of malt barley.

Just out of curiosity, would you know anybody with the family names of either Ward or MacCleod in the Orkneys? Just playing the 'six degrees of separation' game.
I don't, MacCleod, Mcloud is more of a West coast name, I know some Wards, but they are Fifers!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Rick, in order to post on the threads, I must pass this thread that asks if we believe you to be an idiot. It's just driving me crazy! So...you're an idiot! Now, does that help? Sorry Rick, I just couldn't help myself, phew....

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (01-31-2013)

Quick Reply: I am an IDIOT! :)