S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S-Type 2005 HID Retrofit please helpp

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar S-Type 2005 HID Retrofit please helpp

Hello guys , i need your help again so i still have the same car (jaguar Stype 2005 v6) it came with no HIDs ,as i have previously stated i have an autoparts store so i replaced the halogen headlights with the HIDs without doing anything just plugged the same harness , the xenon low beams turn on only if i turn the headlights on before i start the car , secondly auto leveling doesnt work of course because i didnt fit the Module so my question if i fit the module will they work correctly and normally and if so does anyone have the wiring diagrams to make harness from the lights to the module ( i dont have any problem working on it since my car is getting paint job done so i have every part in the front end off )
thanks in advance ❤️‍🔥❤️‍🔥

Old 04-24-2024, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,778 Posts

There are HID bulbs and then real HIDS from Jaguar?
I always swap the entire light assembly?

Kind of like the LED stuff. Factory LED head lights are very expensive but the aftermarket LED bulbs do not provide the same lighting because of the reflector design.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,040 Likes on 836 Posts

you don’t need ADHLS, adjusters are probably broken anyway, just aim it manually with a screw

Old 04-25-2024, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
There are HID bulbs and then real HIDS from Jaguar?
I always swap the entire light assembly?

Kind of like the LED stuff. Factory LED head lights are very expensive but the aftermarket LED bulbs do not provide the same lighting because of the reflector design.
They are original HIDs and i plan on keeping them original, as for the auto leveling its not that big of a deal for me it i dont make them work the important thing is how do i get them to always turn on and not just before i start the car , could it be a bad relay not working good and not getting enough power to the lights, and i am also curious what is the maximum wattage to put on the high beams ,
thanks again🙏🏻🙏🏻

Last edited by auto_chaarani; 04-25-2024 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

If you already have the factory HID's then follow what Xalty says as the adjusters will break and the screw fix is well known.
If your interested I replaced all that plastic leveling stuff inside the headlight with metal parts. Don't know if they are still available or not?

When I went thru my S Type headlights I polished the lenses and replaced ALL the bulbs inside both headlights. I was surprised how much brighter the new HID bulbs were compared to my working but obviously dimmer bulbs. They do dim with age and it's not noticeable.

Here is a VERY nice thread with pictures and well worth a look!
2005 Front Bumper Removal

With the front bumper off it's real easy to work on the lights without breaking anything.

Old 04-26-2024, 03:01 PM

If you already have the factory HID's then follow what Xalty says as the adjusters will break and the screw fix is well known.
If your interested I replaced all that plastic leveling stuff inside the headlight with metal parts. Don't know if they are still available or not?

When I went thru my S Type headlights I polished the lenses and replaced ALL the bulbs inside both headlights. I was surprised how much brighter the new HID bulbs were compared to my working but obviously dimmer bulbs. They do dim with age and it's not noticeable.

Here is a VERY nice thread with pictures and well worth a look!
2005 Front Bumper Removal

With the front bumper off it's real easy to work on the lights without breaking anything.
hey man , my car came from factory without HIDs but i installed them from my store without doing any adjustments to the wiring , my problem is that they dont turn on only if i turn them on before starting the car , so basically each time i need to rurn my headlights on i need to turn off the car put it in 2nd ignition and then turn the headlights wait about 30 seconds for them to “warm up” then start the car

Old 04-27-2024, 12:09 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

First, need to clarify. You say your car came from the factory with halogens...but you mention "original" HIDs. Did you purchase an HID kit and retrofit into the reflector housing or did you purchase a set of factory HID housings/bulbs/ballasts (i.e. from a junk yard)?

Factory HIDs are not a drop in replacement, you would have needed to hack the wiring harness to make them work.

See here for a complete list of wiring diagrams for MY05.

Last edited by LLLA; 04-27-2024 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by LLLA
First, need to clarify. You say your car came from the factory with halogens...but you mention "original" HIDs. Did you purchase an HID kit and retrofit into the reflector housing or did you purchase a set of factory HID housings/bulbs/ballasts (i.e. from a junk yard)?

Factory HIDs are not a drop in replacement, you would have needed to hack the wiring harness to make them work.

See here for a complete list of wiring diagrams for MY05.
hello , yes i installed the original HIDs from a doner car as i stated above i sell parts , in know they dont work correctly if directly installed thats why i am asking how to hack the wiring if you can help me that be great

Old 04-27-2024, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Did you add their module & (if required) config the car for it?

Old 04-27-2024, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks much LLLA! I was too confused to answer!

So you put in HID's in a car that came with Halogens from the factory. Right?
Now it does not work because of a wiring problem. Right?

So the real question is can you just swap head light assemblies between HID and Halogen lights. It appears the answer is no (Again as per LLLA's post above). Not without wiring and module modifications plus some programming as well as JagV8 mentions. Right?

Old 04-28-2024, 05:00 AM

Thanks much LLLA! I was too confused to answer!

So you put in HID's in a car that came with Halogens from the factory. Right?
Now it does not work because of a wiring problem. Right?

So the real question is can you just swap head light assemblies between HID and Halogen lights. It appears the answer is no (Again as per LLLA's post above). Not without wiring and module modifications plus some programming as well as JagV8 mentions. Right?
okay i have no problem wiring or adding any module as i have everything my question is can someone help me with the process of wiring the HIDs

Last edited by auto_chaarani; 04-28-2024 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:36 PM

.....Not without wiring and module modifications plus some programming as well as JagV8 mentions. Right?
Winner. Winner. Chicken Dinner.

----

Before we proceed, please keep this in mind. The electrical system in these S-Types is....different.

I'd even go so far as to say it's dumb....BUT someone here actually taught me all engineers have their reasons, whether we like them or not. So we have to keep an open mind. Believe me, I know that's not easy.

It's a positive ground system to start, which is annoying to work with for modifications, but more importantly, we are dealing with an over-engieered electrical system which includes hidden relays, modules, early versions of CANbus...the list goes on. The S-Type was brought back and designed under the Ford era, making this system a mashup of American and European parts and engineering. This makes retrofitting ANY lighting more difficult.

----
Now to business...

Based on what I’ve read….you’ve wired something to something, since the lights turn on when the key is not in the "Run" position.

What it sounds like to me is you aren’t getting enough current for the ballast to fire the igniter when the car is running. Now in 90% of other cars, the answer would be simple…bypass the factory wiring and use a relay harness to pull power directly from the battery. But wait…the battery is in the trunk.

What you are running into is the exact conundrum I’ve been trying to solve with my car. Where can we safely pull power from? Unless you run a line all the way from the battery in the trunk to the front…the answer is….I don’t know.

----
WARNING: If this is wired the way I believe it is….meaning you are powering the HID ballasts using the halogen wiring….you’re pulling power through the halogen lines which run through the Front Electronics Module which I believe is part of the General Electronics Module (or GEM)….if you blow that, you are in a world of hurt. I would disconnect the HIDs until we can find a safe place to pull power from.
----

In fact, what might be happening is the circuit breakers in the Front Electronics Module could be tripping when the car is running. That's complete speculation. But, if you are indeed pulling power over the factory halogen lines, I can say for certain they were not designed to push the amount of power needed for an HID setup and as such, they will misbehave.

You can read more about my thoughts and research into this below…

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...trofit-277611/

Last edited by LLLA; 04-28-2024 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,040 Likes on 836 Posts

use the factory hid relays

Old 04-29-2024, 06:34 AM

Winner. Winner. Chicken Dinner.

----

Before we proceed, please keep this in mind. The electrical system in these S-Types is....different.

I'd even go so far as to say it's dumb....BUT someone here actually taught me all engineers have their reasons, whether we like them or not. So we have to keep an open mind. Believe me, I know that's not easy.

It's a positive ground system to start, which is annoying to work with for modifications, but more importantly, we are dealing with an over-engieered electrical system which includes hidden relays, modules, early versions of CANbus...the list goes on. The S-Type was brought back and designed under the Ford era, making this system a mashup of American and European parts and engineering. This makes retrofitting ANY lighting more difficult.

----
Now to business...

Based on what I’ve read….you’ve wired something to something, since the lights turn on when the key is not in the "Run" position.

What it sounds like to me is you aren’t getting enough current for the ballast to fire the igniter when the car is running. Now in 90% of other cars, the answer would be simple…bypass the factory wiring and use a relay harness to pull power directly from the battery. But wait…the battery is in the trunk.

What you are running into is the exact conundrum I’ve been trying to solve with my car. Where can we safely pull power from? Unless you run a line all the way from the battery in the trunk to the front…the answer is….I don’t know.

----
WARNING: If this is wired the way I believe it is….meaning you are powering the HID ballasts using the halogen wiring….you’re pulling power through the halogen lines which run through the Front Electronics Module which I believe is part of the General Electronics Module (or GEM)….if you blow that, you are in a world of hurt. I would disconnect the HIDs until we can find a safe place to pull power from.
----

In fact, what might be happening is the circuit breakers in the Front Electronics Module could be tripping when the car is running. That's complete speculation. But, if you are indeed pulling power over the factory halogen lines, I can say for certain they were not designed to push the amount of power needed for an HID setup and as such, they will misbehave.

You can read more about my thoughts and research into this below…

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...trofit-277611/
yes I connected them with the halogen harness directly and have been running them for 3 years now 😁😁 i turn them on before i start my car and i think what is happening is just like you said , when the engine is on not enough power is being sent to them i think i will try switching relays like he said

Old 04-29-2024, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by auto_chaarani
yes I connected them with the halogen harness directly and have been running them for 3 years now 😁😁 i turn them on before i start my car and i think what is happening is just like you said , when the engine is on not enough power is being sent to them i think i will try switching relays like he said
Three years? That's impressive. I'm surprised the factory HID components themselves haven't given you trouble in that time.

Unfortunately I think the only way to get you the power you'd need would be to pull directly from the battery or some circuit that wires directly to the battery and bypasses the factory wiring.

As a test, you could try unplugging one side and testing. If one side works properly with the engine running, that would lead credence to the idea that you're not getting enough power.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:48 PM

Three years? That's impressive. I'm surprised the factory HID components themselves haven't given you trouble in that time.

Unfortunately I think the only way to get you the power you'd need would be to pull directly from the battery or some circuit that wires directly to the battery and bypasses the factory wiring.

As a test, you could try unplugging one side and testing. If one side works properly with the engine running, that would lead credence to the idea that you're not getting enough power.
okay ill check tomorrow, another question is im thinking of getting 100 watt leds for the high beams i rarely use the high beams tho i only use them for a short period if needed or if i need to flash them , do you recommend it in my case or do i go down a bit in wattage ?

Old 04-30-2024, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Well it's the same problem? You can't just swap bulbs and go from Halogen to HID to LED. I mean you can but the reflector is a basic part of the head light design so it will be all wrong for any bulb EXCEPT the ones it was designed for. That's why when I upgrade head lights I ALWAYS use a complete head light assembly!

No other way to insure the system will work as designed. On my old 2003 Lincoln LS (A twin to the S-Type) I upgraded from Halogen's to HID's with a complete headlamp swap. I should have added the HID relays as Xalty says but it worked OK without them on that car.

Now I have a 2014 XJR and upgraded to the later model LED head lights. This is NOT a plug and play swap as I had to build custom wiring harnesses to solve exactly the troubles your having.

Do follow up with what Xalty mentions as he has a shop and repairs Jaguars daily! Your lucky he stopped by!

Old 04-30-2024, 10:48 AM
Received 280 Likes on 191 Posts

Even plain-Jane Halogen mainbeams are bright! Is there any point in opening the can of worms even further? You could put in a whiter Halogen bulb if looks are important.