S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar 's' type Auto box problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar 's' type Auto box problem

I have a Jaguar 'S' type 1999. Auto. After driving for a while 'Gearbox Fault' flashes up.

Had it looked at by garage that I have used for years. Flashed up that 4/5 gears are out of ratio and recommended a complete flush and transmission fluid change.

Anyone agree with this? I know form several sources that it's a pretty common problem in the 'sealed for life' world of gearbox's. I don't think the car has ever had the fluid changed and at 160 thousand think it's well over due.

The other thing is that it only happens once the car has warmed up and when cold, the fluid being thicker means that it takes a little while before the fault occurs?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with your garage, probably the least expensive thing to try.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Received 2,605 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Did your garage bother to check to see if there are any DTCs stored? If so, what are they?

Old 03-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Default Update

He mentioned some codes but I don't think any are stored in ECU.

To buy the new fluid is comparatively cheap. However the garage said it has to be 'flushed' but have also been told that draining should be sufficient.

Any advice and thank you for replies.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

160k miles, probably never had a fluid change, flush and then refill.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Do that first and see what happens. That's a long time and a lot of miles on the factory fluid.

Please report back the codes. It does no good to ramble on about the symptoms. We must have codes and you should clear them all and make sure they repeat before moving forward with more repairs.

You have a much simpler car and there is no TCM. The transmission codes are in the PCM.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 AM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Ford AOD trans. Likely that it's a worn casing. The servo hangs in the body, the fix is to machine and sleeve. Knowing the codes would be helpful!

Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

"Out of ratio" means slipping clutch.
I have the same problem, I'll deal with it on Monday.
Mine is 03.
I had same problem with 91 Kawasaki ZX11. I bought used clutch disks and installed one extra steel disk. Bike clutches and AT clutches are identical.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Default Didn't work for long

Well had all the fluid changed on Saturday. Worked fine for several miles then threw up Gearbox fault again!

Been offered a replacement gearbox from a perfectly running car so I might just go with that. losing interest in this old girl now so looking for the quickest and easiest fix.

God how I miss my old Soveriegn. Never had a thing go wrong with it in all the years I owned it. But these Ford Based models are rubbish in comparisson.

Thanks for replies.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:19 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Stumpygop

God how I miss my old Soveriegn. Never had a thing go wrong with it in all the years I owned it. But these Ford Based models are rubbish in comparisson.

Thanks for replies.
Yes, shame on a 16 year old transmission giving trouble.............

Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 AM
Talking Ahhh Sarcasm

Nice to see sarcasm is alive and kicking! Although it's a pointless comment really considering the Sovereigns transmission was 20 odd years old with no issues at all.............

Anyway the latest thing is this. The car and transmission work fine for a while. Then the Gearbox Fault light kicks in. I turned the ignition off while the car was still working.

The result was the Gearbox Fault light went off and the gearbox worked fine again. This happened a couple of times now with the same result.

So I am now looking at an electrical fault rather than the gearbox itself?

I anticipate some more sarcasm, but hopefully something more constructive might be pending.............

Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Nice to see sarcasm is alive and kicking! Although it's a pointless comment really considering the Sovereigns transmission was 20 odd years old with no issues at all.............

Anyway the latest thing is this. The car and transmission work fine for a while. Then the Gearbox Fault light kicks in. I turned the ignition off while the car was still working.

The result was the Gearbox Fault light went off and the gearbox worked fine again. This happened a couple of times now with the same result.

I anticipate some more sarcasm, but hopefully something more constructive might be pending.............
have you load tested the battery?

Old 03-23-2015, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by abonano
have you load tested the battery?
Bingo!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

See my previous reply and post the codes! Then you can get helped!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,254 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Yes another vote to get the codes!

You are in the dark otherwise.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just happened to me yesterday. I was in stop and go traffic and when it cleared a little going up hill, all of a sudden the transmission fault popped up and my S wouldn't go into final drive. Pulled off to the side, turned her off, then turned her on and walla! no code and the transmission hasn't gone back, I've driven a hundred miles since with speeds up above 70mph and the transmission is still fine. What a mind eff! If this happens again, hopefully my scanner picks it up and tell me a code.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Any of: failing battery, misfiring coil, loom fault, trans needs servicing, other.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 stype 3.0 sport 5r55n box

My jag is now losing drive intermittently for a few secs. Revs drop, lose power then resumes. Does it more and more. No dash lights on. Thinking the auto is on its way out. Car has 96k. I have the box fluid to change fluid but if you drop the pan only 3-4lts are removed whereas there is 10lts total in the system. Researched flushing but advised not to. And that's if its fluid thats causing the problem. Also gear changes are slow and engagement of drive is slow. Just seems jags are made to break. One thing sorted then another thing breaks. And I know its 14years old but...
Any ideas guys. Does it sound like dirty fluid or something else. I did think misfire from engine but I'm not sure about that now. Also there is a low whine when engaging drive now heard sat in drivers seat coming from gear stick location......

Last edited by steven_mckinlay; 03-29-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by steven_mckinlay
Revs drop, lose power then resumes. .
Why are you blaming the transmission?

Old 03-30-2015, 05:01 AM

My guess on the revs dropping etc would be Air Flow problem. As for mine it's become an intermittent fault. When the gear box fault light flashes up I have found that by turning ignition off then back on it clears and often des not do it again till the next day.

I stopped updating this post simply because I find the sarcasm and somewhat aggressive attitude of one person depletes the object of asking for advice, is unnecessary and off putting. Pointless.

Quick Reply: Jaguar 's' type Auto box problem