Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Results

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Vance580 boy do I think like you!! I almost got a Marauder for the reason of massive aftermarket mainly because of the Mustang and that 4.6L DOHC. Just wanted a better suspension and no stick rear end!
Good looking car. Surprised about the rust? The new cars are so much better protected these days!!!
Yea it was a great car for aftermarket. If you are still interested in one I'd get an 04. The first run of the 03 just were horrible for their finish the paint is just not good at all. The 04 were alot better off. I just wish they didnt stop making them. There are only about 11000 total back in 04 produced and who knows how many are left. Only came in 4 colors too. I was actually looking for a Dark Toreador Red one but couldnt find them so I settled for black. The dealership says in order for them to cover a rust warranty it had to be rusted through with a hole so I couldnt even get it fixed. By the time it got bad enough to be covered I was over 100000 miles. Oh well I got rid of it and I wont be living in the north anymore so no salt should be damaging the STR. Maybe in the future I'll buy another one and turn it into a project car.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
A typeR with a good driver can typically do the 1/4 in 13.1 to 13.3 with a stock filter element in place. Most magazines quoted around 13.5.

Dropping .36 seconds and gaining 5.3 mph in the 1/4 takes a serious HP increase, far more than provided by an air filter change. The entire engineering team would have been put before a firing squad if they had made such a basic design mistake. There was something wrong with your 13.7 time.

Edit: A buddy of mine did some calculating with his desk top dyno for me. To achieve the quoted drop in 1/4 mile times would require an approx 50-60 horsepower increase.
I no longer put dogs in these fights. Marketing is a powerful force, creating individual reality from fantasy and, when spending one's own money, everyone is entitled to their own individual reality....and it's good for the economy.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by steve11
I no longer put dogs in these fights. Marketing is a powerful force, creating individual reality from fantasy and, when spending one's own money, everyone is entitled to their own individual reality....and it's good for the economy.
That's very well put. I've always been amazed by a marketeer's ability to sway people into buying off-the-shelf miracle products that promise huge returns for such a small investment. The premise is always 'here's the HP/mileage the factory forgot' and it's a simple process of bolting it on, pouring it in the gas or adding it to the oil.

When challenged, the vendor usually launches into a pre-prepared conspiracy theory, something to do with the OEM and/or the evil government having a secret plot to screw the consumer.

Whether it's good for the economy or not, I suppose it depends on where the snake oil comes from.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

So wait, my tornado vortex and gas line magnet are going to give me 50mpg?

Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
So wait, my tornado vortex and gas line magnet are going to give me 50mpg?

Yes, they are!

Good for the economy because it is better to have people employed at the air filter factories manufacturing and selling fantasies than it is to have them unemployed collecting government benefits. When they earn money they buy used Jaguars, then I get to charge them money to fix them. In turn, I can go out and buy things which employes even more workers who then go out and buy....well, you get the picture.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look, I'm not trying to sell anything. I can only give you the numbers from my six runs. three with stock and three with K&N. I understand you scepticizm. It's hard for me to believe also. I've had K&N filters in all my cars and have never had a result like this before. Ofcourse this is the only car I've owned with a supercharger. All of my reaction times were between .1 and .27 of a second.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

I'm not sure people doubt you. A dirty OE filter may be the reason. I wouldn't worry.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a major problem with user forums in general, to many Google Engineers and shade tree mechanics.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 05STR
This is a major problem with user forums in general, to many Google Engineers and shade tree mechanics.

Not to mention people that believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hey, give the guy a break dudes. He's probably a very good driver, plus the addition of the K&N filter may have caused the ECU to notice more air and as a result performed an adaptive re-map of fuel and spark within the timed runs.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 PM

Sorry, that makes no sense beyond abra-cadabra. Physics are physics. The weight of the car is X number of pounds. To make it go 1/4 mile in Y number of seconds requires Z horsepower. Any on-line calculator or desktop equivalent will show that the calculated times match up well with real life for a stock car.

To achieve the difference in times quoted represents a difference of 50-60 HP. The PO's best time was equal to what a typeR can do with a stock filter, in other words his K+N times were no better than stock.

That's why I wondered what was wrong with his stock filter time.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm not doubting the physics or saying that the K&N was extremely awesome but you can lower ET's with other things besides horsepower so saying he had to have 50-60hp to get the drop in ET's he did doesnt really have to be true. His tires could have been gripping better. The K&N being cleaner may have help his IAT's drop a little. My previous car you could drop 8/10's to almost a whole second with just a tune giving you about 15-20hp and a trans recal therefor causing the car to shift faster. His stock filter could have been dirty enough to throw off the ECU when putting in the K&N made it read correctly. Hell he could of also not had the airbox lid on all the way. Mine wasnt seated right for a week and when I reinstalled it and got it seated correctly I felt a little more power now that I was getting all clean air again. I just think there are alot more variables here then just hp. I do agree that there is no way a K&N is gonna give you 50-60hp.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys slay me.........google engineer.......I'm actually a jet mechanic in the Air Force and have been for 17 years, so I know my way around tools. I worked F-16 Block 50 GE 129 motors up until 2006 and now I'm on the F-35 P&W F135 motor waiting for the GE F136 motor to come out. I KNOW you can't get 50hp out of a simple filter change but as soon as I put the K&N in the car EVERYTHING seemed to work better. I can't explain it, I can only quote my results..................and I'm done.............

Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

As I mentioned earlier, a fresh free flowing filter will cause the ECU to remap for the best, especially when coming from a dirty filter. Three days ago I went from flow-through to chambered mufflers. I literally saw the tach search up and down till it set a new idle after start up. By the way, I also gained back some low end torque too. I believe hollywoodippa lost some tenths.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by hollywooddippa
You guys slay me.........google engineer.......I'm actually a jet mechanic in the Air Force and have been for 17 years, so I know my way around tools. I worked F-16 Block 50 GE 129 motors up until 2006 and now I'm on the F-35 P&W F135 motor waiting for the GE F136 motor to come out.
Cool- we have something in common. I worked in engineering, design, reliability and customer support for 31 years at one of the two OEMs you mentioned. I learned how to correlate desktop with dyno with real world performance numbers long before Google existed or Algore invented the interweeb. Glad you enjoy working on stuff I probably had a hand in designing.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
As I mentioned earlier, a fresh free flowing filter will cause the ECU to remap for the best, especially when coming from a dirty filter. Three days ago I went from flow-through to chambered mufflers. I literally saw the tach search up and down till it set a new idle after start up. By the way, I also gained back some low end torque too. I believe hollywoodippa lost some tenths.
You went with the Dynomax Super Turbos? How's the sound difference?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Woohoo! Let's all whip out the eP****! Good l**d this is starting to get as bad as the Honda Civic board.

Last edited by Gus; 10-30-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Edited by Moderator for Language
Old 10-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

You seem to be missing the point that an air filter does not make 50-60hp difference. How about suggesting some solid physics/etc reasons?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

I'll PM ChrisSTR on the switch to Dynomax Super Turbos, but I'll let yas know that she's noticeable louder in/out than the Magnaflows. The reverberation into the interior is annoyingly loud while lazily pulling up hill in higher gears. Need to pop back on the Dynomax glass packed tube pre-mufflers as a means to absorb and resonate. Did gain back some low-end torque though and she sounds real mean, LOL!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,289 Likes on 1,798 Posts

hollywooddippa

Thanks for posting your install with before and after results. Hope you stay around! This forum has good repair info as well as parts sources. The S Type has been out a long time (10+ years) and most common faults have been fixed.
Not always easy to find the info either!

Quick Reply: K&N Results