S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob saga

Old 12-21-2018, 01:58 AM
jya
Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Key fob saga

My spare keys (middle of photo) transponder will not work with the ignition; turns in the barrel but of course won't start the car and the PATS led flashes. Been like that for a while and no idea why. Took it to the local locksmith today and for some reason (which someone may explain) its code is different to my only remaining operational key (right of photo) even though of course the keys are the same. The locksmith suspected a faulty transponder.
Years ago when they were cheap I managed to buy a genuine complete new key assembly and had the dealer cut and program it. My wife has since thrown it out by mistake but that's another story..
The key on the left is a used one I must have bought years ago but that of course has a different code on its transponder and the locksmith tells me the transponders can't be reprogrammed once the codes are set in. I do like it as the Growler is cast into the metal switch unlike my earlier originals which have long worn. You have to of course break to separate and change the transponder of the flip part of the key as its is glued together, so that one on the left of the photo is really a throwaway..
The locksmith does have the exact blank spare transponders that he can code up to my only remaining working one on the right which is now starting to show some wear but what's the point if you don't want/like the non genuine ones that seem to be very poor quality?
So the paranoia of only having one complete and operational reasonably worn key is starting to set in and since I have collected a couple bottom portion/spare transmitters of the key fob I figured my only choice is to bite the bullet and buy a blank/new/genuine key flip/upper portion - not from the dealers of course.
I haven't asked him yet but I assume my local locksmith should be able to program and cut a genuine blank one.

Cheers

Keys

Old 12-21-2018, 05:50 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

The transponders can be programmed but you need the dealer level equipment to do it.
You can switch the key section of one of your old fobs to the one with the growler quite easily.
Lots of info here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ictures-93167/

Old 12-21-2018, 05:58 AM
Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

hey mate, just noticed you're in Melbourne Australia. I might be able to assist with recoding your existing key and can also cut blanks.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 PM
jya
Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for the reply gents but not sure if I can reprogram a coded transponder or simply if the locksmith that has the blanks available is unable to do this.
Sorry for the late reply dopey - crazy time of year. I have thoroughly read yours and the other posts.
Live in Collingwood and would certainly love some help. I am speaking to a supplier out of the UK who genuine new blank uncut top half of the fobs cheaper than the rest at a reasonable 64 pounds but he wants nearly 18 pounds to post this 32 gram item....Looks like its the old trick of quote cheap for the part and make the lost profit on the postage...
Please feel free to pm me or let me know your details.

Many thanks,

John

Old 12-22-2018, 08:43 PM

Unless it's damaged, you can definitely reprogram a used transponder. I reckon when you got the genuine replacement key you forgot to get all keys programmed and that's why it's lost its coding.

Also don't knock the Chinese copies, they are surprisingly good for the price! They don't marry up too well with the genuine remote, so it's best to get the complete shell. Happy to bring one over, you may reconsider ordering genuine!

Old 12-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tibbe key code cut at reasonable price.

When I bought my 2007 S-Type I received only one working key fob. Fearing being locked out I bought 2 spare tibbe keys {valet} and had them cut. They were ebay item - 123247937843 from Moses-the-Locksmith located in Florida. He was able to read the code from a photo of the original. After I received and tested the keys - I bought 2 separate blank tibbe stalks (from a different ebayer) . I asked Moses if he could cut them for me. He sent me an offer via ebay and I accepted. sent him the key blanks. He cut them and sent them back. I put one into the old key fob and it works perfectly. So, now I have 1 perfect new key in my old key fob, a spare to put into another fob when I get one, and 2 valet keys all for around 80 dollars. I thought it was a good deal, so I am posting in case it can help someone else.

As a footnote- - Tibbe keys come in Jag and Ford versions... My Jag key was a 6 cut with each cut having 4 depths. So the key code would be something like 432144 or 224433 with 1 being the shallowest cut and 4 being the deepest cut. Hope this helps.
Also, none of the new keys were programmed. So, My 'Valet" keys only work to open the doors or trunk{boot}, But for now I am happy and will worry about programming them all later.

Last edited by Vistacom1; 12-24-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:27 PM

good advice getting a 2nd key. But program it sooner rather than later as it's easier to take the car to get programed rather than getting it towed to a dealer.

clone flip keys are available on ebay cheaply as well, just make sure they come with the 4D60 transponder like this one :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Car-...8/291705006933

US spec cars use a 315MHz remote whereas UK and Australia use 433MHz. But the advantage of clone remotes is that the frequency can be changed unlike genuine remotes:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...6/#post1818790